It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I jumped off sub at just a small crumb almost 2 months ago. After the first 30 days i felt pretty good. But 3 days ago i woke up and felt different. I felt relly hatefull and had no energy or motivation to do anything. I drank my usual 2 cups of coffee and all it did was make me more unsettled. I haven't felt like this in about 2 weeks and i was wondering if this could be what PAWS feels like? I feel like if i can reconize this and just knowing that it will pass would be very uplifting for me. Also, If this is paws how long will these episodes flare up and how long will each one last? Is there any supplements or vitamins i can take to lessen them? I am going to go for a drive today and see if just getting out of the house will help in some small way. Any improvement is good from where i'm standing right now. Also since these symptoms started it's as if it triggered me to start thinking about pills again. Not good i know. I haven't craved a pain pill in quite some time and I feel like i'm fighting with myself now trying to convince ME that a pill won't solve anything. Luckily i have been able to do this so far but wow have they been strong the last couple of days. I don't know where this is coming from! Is our brains really that complex? Any and all advice or encouraging words will be so much appreciated you can't imagine. I am determined to better my life, this is the longest i've been cleen in the last 10 years. Thank you in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I don't have any experiance posting on this board, but I do have experience with PAWS. And that is exactly what you are feeling right now. It should be gone in a day or two, and you will be back to your Semi-Normal self. I always found that doing a bit of exercise would help alot, It seems to boost your mood and possibly spead up the PAWs attack your having.
Just wait it out, and know that all that is happening is your brain and body returning to normal. PAWS is a good thing and be glad that your brain is funtioning how it should
chuck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah, the PAWS seems to come and go. Exercise is good, and eating right. I've been taking vitamin D supplements which has helped a lot with the seasonal blahs that come around this time of year.

You will get through it. Figuring out how to ride out the not-so-good times is part of life. Unfortunately when we turn to drugs to get through it we lose the other tools and skills we might have had before (if we had any). I find that anything that can make me laugh - a funny movie or a funny friend - really helps me. Keeping perspective helps too. I know that when I feel happy I never think to myself: This will NEVER END. But when I feel like shit I surely think that I'll be feeling that way forever.

For what its worth, I'm a little over 3 months off Sub and have been doing really well. It will get better if you stick it out.

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: thank you
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for your replies it means a lot. Everything you all said makes sense to me. I will go for a walk today even if i have to make myself. I am taking a womens 1 a day vitamin every morning but i probably need extra supplements. Maybe i am ignorant but i never knew how hard using is on the overall nutrition of ones body. I am finally sober enough to see the damage i've done. I will focus on nutrition and exercise and try to get my body straightened out. Now that i know what i am feeling is normal and it shall pass i feel more motivated than ever. I didn't know it could come outta nowhere like this. Maybe i can look forward to feeling better this weekend. I keep thinking how glad i am to be going in the right direction for making a life without pills or worrying about pills. It's a large burden to carry around for over 10 years. That's 10 years of my life i can't get back but moving forward in recovery is a reward that i didn't think was possible a few years ago. I love proving myself wrong! lol. thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:48 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I want to wish you good luck. I used to think PAWS was a myth until i was off subs for 2 months. I woke up one morning and all I wanted was a shot and my mind and body would not bend to think otherwise. My body felt dope sick and my mind knew of nothing else but to think of curing it. It was strange, but it only lasted a about two days. My girlfriend, who I live with, was convinced I've been using and was back to my usual malignant self, which aggravated me, but I understand. The same sensation happened again about three months later, but it only lasted that one day. Diet and exercise is a most. I was on a regiment of vitamins for four months and am convinced it saved me. Getting off subs was by far much harder than getting off dope. I hate everything about subs and its treatment, but it is possible with the right choices. Again, good luck.