All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Day 8 off Sub...
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:56 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey everyone,

New poster here, yet a sub vet.

I am on my 8th day off of suboxone, and wanted to share my experience as to help ease some of the fears that some may have with Bupe wd's.

Some history- I am a 28 year old Long Haul International Flight Attendant. I have been abusing opiates of all types starting over 12 years ago. I was a Certified Surgical Technologist, and in 2000 was introduced to IV Fentanyl. Long story short, got caught diverting at work (Still licensed) and entered methadon maintenance in '02. I chose a bad clinic that constantly increased my methadone dose, at one point I was on over 400mgs daily. Due to my flying career, some of the countries I fly to, methadone is listed as illegal, and I couldnt risk that. That and the fact I was having some nasty side effects from the 'done.

I did a quick taper over a period of 6 months to get down to 20mgs, and I began Buprenorphine treatment March of 08 inducted at 16mgs daily.

My life changed on sub, I got healthy, and things were looking up. I tapered down to .5mgs over a few months, and upon getting to .5mgs I noticed the wds were aweful, and I just couldnt hack it while flying. I increased my dose with my doc back to 6mgs, and thats where I have stayed for the last 1.5 years.

On May 18th, I took my last dose of sub. 3mgs- It has been one hell of a ride, but nothing like coming off of full opiate agonists. The first two days were the easiest. Just some overall generalized anxiety.

Day 3- The RLS begins, along with some stomach churning. No nausea. Sleep schedule has become irratic at best, getting about two hours of sleep a night. Sneezing

Day 4-RLS is steady through the day, dizziness is setting in (Prob from lack of sleep) GI symptoms starting to show, overall anxiety, still no sleep, Yawning, sneezing, watery eyes

Day 5-RLS is better today, low energy, eating well still, some minor stomach upset, 4hrs of sleep last night, sneezing, nose running

Day 6-RLS minimal, somewhat light headed, low grade headache, still sneezing, short episodes of nausea, no vomiting yet.

Day 7-RLS was at its peak tonight, maybe 1 hr of sleep. Generalized anxiety, and beginning to feel what I can only described as PAWS symptoms mixed with reg wd's.

Day 8- Tired, low energy, RLS has turned into a different feeling-almost a tingly burning, GI upset, still no vomiting.... Symptoms seem to peak and trough, but days are getting better!

I have cut out all caffeine during my detox period, and increased my fluids mainly decaff green tea (For its antioxidants) Drinking protein shakes daily full of aminos, calcium and magnesium supplements at night, along with hot hot hot soaks in the tub.

I have gotten up, showered, and gotten out of the house every day during this process. Some days were harder than others, but it has been completely manageable!

Going to my GP doc this morning for a post detox check up. Im scheduled to work a long haul flight Friday morning.... that will be day 10, not sure Im ready to spend 19hrs on a plane yet, but Im going to push through it. :-)

I'll keep you all posted. This hasnt been pleasant, but its totally tolerable. Just keep focused at your final goal, and stay healthy! :-)

Safe travels,
RIAFLight25

Day 7-Daytime is going well, night time symptoms seem to peak. RLS was aweful last night, maybe 1 hr of sleep. GI issues

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 9:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome, RIA flight! I'm so glad you found our forum and decided to post your story.

I'm happy to hear you are doing relatively well, especially in comparison to full agonist withdrawals. With all the horror stories out there about stopping suboxone, I want to thank you for taking the time to post your experiences. I hope the RLS subsides soon and you're able to get some sleep.

I wanted to ask you about exercise. I've read a lot of posts from people stopping suboxone who say that a lot of heavy exercise really helps with the w/d symptoms. Have you been able to do that? If not, maybe if you added that to your routine it might help a bit. Just a thought.

I'm also curious, did you jump off at 3 mg or .3 mg? Many people taper all the way down into the micrograms, so again, it's good to know the w/d are somewhat tolerable even at the 3 mg dose (if that's the case).

Thanks again for speaking about your experience, it will be very beneficial to others who decide to stop suboxone.

Hang in there and keep us posted. Take care.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi RIAFLight25! :)

I'm also very grateful you took the time to post your experience w/ stopping suboxone. I too was wondering if you stopped at 3mgs or .3mgs.

And just to clarify, you had bad WD on .5 so you upped to 6mgs? I was wondering why you jumped back up so high after being on .5 and how long it took you to taper from the 6mgs down to 3mgs (or is it .3mgs)?

It's great to hear that you're dealing w/ your WD so well and choosing to power through. I give you a lot of credit especially considering your profession. I just made a cut of .08mgs and I'm considering staying home all day. I can barely imagine working a 19 hour flight on your 10th day of WD. I give you a lot of credit! I think half of WD recovery is keeping a positive attitude. I can give in to my symptoms or power through and you just inspired me to (wo)man up :P

I agree w/ hatmaker about the exercise component of recovery. I utilized it during an 18 month PAWS recovery from klonopin and I'm implementing it now in my recovery while I taper. I don't know how intense workouts should be, as I would never be able to do anything other than moderate (because I have other preexisting health concerns), but I have found at least 20 minutes of some sort of aerobic exercise every day to help immensely. Medical studies suggest 20 minutes/day 5-6 days a week to boost endorphin levels and naturally treat depression.

Wishing you the best in your continued recovery and please keep us posted on your progress!

Samantha

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:17 am 
Thank you very much for posting a bit of your story RIA! I'm glad you're feeling a little better as the days go by and hope that continues.
Please continue to update us if you possibly can, as it is so very helpful to others to hear how people do after stopping buprenorphine. Additionally, we have a lot of people here who would love to be of support in any way we can.
Again....Thanks! Good luck as you go forward!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 11:52 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Wow, that is great. You def. give me hope in my taper. Keep us posted!

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:35 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm on day10. I had much of the same withdrawal symptoms.

What truly helped me at night, when it was worse, was hot baths. It seemed to ease my restlessness, and allowed for me to sleep a few hours after a bath.

I'm kind of pissed I even started taking suboxone. My doctor assured me I would not feel any WD symptoms, he was certainly wrong. If i knew i would have just stuck out the OC withdrawal which in some cases is less severe.

I'm glad youre doing well, keep it up. I will as well. I just wish that these huge drug corporations weren't taking advantage of people's addictions. its kind of ridiculous. :::end rant::::

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 12:46 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Day 9-

Yesterday started out kind of crummy, but quickly turned to the best day I have had yet. Thanks to all of you for your kind words and support.

The RLS was minimal at best. I actually managed 6 solid hours of sleep and felt like a new man when I woke up this morning. I had a bit of an emotional moment when I put on my uniform this am, as its the first flight that I have ever worked that I am not on an opiate! Not to mention the liberating feeling of walking out of the hotel room this am and not having to check for my subs 5 times was great. I just had to laugh when I walked out and shut the door. (Huh, whatta ya know???) :-)

I did the first part of the trip this am, and now am in St. Louis for the night. Meeting up with some family tonight for dinner, and then its across the pond for me tomorrow morning. Im not at 100% yet, but as Im sure some of you have heard... You just have to be ok with not being ok for awhile. :-)

For some clarification to those that asked, yes I did jump off at 3mgs (Three) For some reason the taper down to .5mgs was WAY worse than this, this is something I cant quite figure out.

The reason I went all the way up to 6mgs was I was having a hard time stabilising my dose, and split dosing was too difficult... trying to remember what times to take meds every 8 hours when you are always in a different time zone will surely drive one batty. Once stabilised on 6mgs, about three months later I jumped to three, and was there for about 5 months. Then it was off from there. :-)

I was terrified of sub wd's, and I too was told by my doc "You will walk away from this like it never happened" Total BS, but Im pissed at HIM, not the meds. There definitely needs to be more education given about this drug, and perhaps even to the manufacturers! But it did indeed save my life, and give me the quality of life I needed while I continued to make the behavioral changes necessary to live a sober life.

Today, I am greatful.

Henry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What's the latest?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:55 am 
New Poster
New Poster

My Apologies for not posting often... things have been pretty busy with the flying schedule.

Things are going...... better than I could have imagined! :-)

Flying that trip was hell, as a 3 day turned into an 18 day trip overseas. Combined with an hour or so of sleep a night and 20 hr work days made for some amusing moments for my coworkers on my behalf. lol

Im happy to say that today I am on Day 35 off the subs! Withdrawals were over by the end of the second week, minus the insomnia. I am now beginning to feel tired on my own and am sleeping in periods of 5-6hrs with no help from any sleep aids!

I am still having some stomach issues 6 weeks later, but my gastroenterologist explained that the havoc I wreaked in my stomach and intestines over the past year of opiate abuse is going to take time to heal. I had a plethora of tests done to make sure I was in optimal health and everything came back looking great minus the cholesterol, which we will begin working on in July.

No cravings what so ever, and things are looking up! Its odd living life and dealing with its curveballs without a brain filled with activated opiate receptors, but Im learning to deal with that on a daily basis.

Starting sub was the best decision I made for my life, and coming off of it was the second best! I'll still check in here from time to time to give updates!

I wanna take the doc up on that staying clean a year without doing a super low taper thing! :-)

Henry