It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

First time posting on here but I've been reading everyone's thoughts and stories for the last month which have been really helpful so I'd thought I'd post my experience here for any who might need it. My brother and I have been on subs for almost 2.5 yrs after a 3 yr Oxy run. I wish now that we wouldn't of been on it so long but it gave us time to get our lives back on track and to get to hate that old lifestyle.

We started at 16mg/day for the first 6months, then down to 8mg for another yr or so. Then over the last yr we got down to 4mg to eventually down to 2mg/day for the last 3-4 months. After taking anywere from .5 to 1 mg for a month, we finally jumped March 13th. Our last dose was 1mg.

After reading some of the horror stories on here, we were ready for all hell especially considering how long we were on subs. We stocked up on TONS of different vitamins, I read somewhere about the "vitamin bomb" which I believe really helps. My dr prescribed me Flexeril for bodyaches and Ambien to help sleep if needed. He also gave me Xanax to help with anxiety which is the worst part of w/d I think. My Dr. wouldnt give me Clonodine but gave all this other stuff. Go figure. Melantonin was very, very helpful. Now I know this next part of our plan might be very controversial to some but we also had a 80mg OP each that we cut into 10mg pieces. After doing lots of research I found that lots of detox clinics use fast acting opiates to detox off suboxone. I wouldnt recommend this if ur not comfy with where u r in ur addiction. For us we never want to get on that poison again so we knew we could handle taking small enough pieces where we wouldnt get high but alleviate the worst days of w/d.

Days 1-5 gradually got worse but it wasn't so bad. Kind of came in waves. I think exercise helped during the first week. We never had problems eating at all which was strange because usually during w/d I never eat shit. I'd say the worst part of the first 5 days was just that antsy feeling you get where you want to do something but at the same time you don't feel like it. Time just moved slow. For us, there wasnt any crazy sweating or extreme anxiety that somepeople complain of. At nightime, we'd take 9mg's of melatonin with either small piece of xanax or 1/2 a ambien. Wash it down with a glass of wine and I was always out. During all these 13 days, I never slept less than 6 hrs which is crazy because sleep is was always hard to come by in previous times.

Day 6 - man really struggled. But I think most of it had to do with the fact that we played 18 holes of golf on day 5 and I was really sore from that. I def dont recommend getting too much excerise to the point ur sore from it. Muscles ached/restlessness etc. We each took a 10mg OP and felt a little better. Got thru the day at least. Still never had problems with sleep. Out of 13 nights, i only took Ambien on maybe 3 of those nights. The Melatonin did the trick itself.

Days 7-10. Would have to say these were probly the worst of it so far. My legs felt like jello. Doing the slightest task sucked. But it was bearable. Took a 10mg OP occasionally thru these days. Def helped. I never felt cool from it but made the days go by faster. Flexeril's def help if you have really bad body aches. I think all the vitamins we've been taking during all this is a big reason we havent felt so shitty as most people predict. Didnt really exercise at all these days. It was wierd on these days, would feel fine for 3-4 hrs then feel like ass for hrs. Came and went constantly. Anytime I felt really shitty at night, had a glass wine or 2 with Flexeril and felt better. We drank SO MUCH water this whole time I swear I pissed every 15mins these last 13 days. lol.

Days 11-12 - got way better. Can start to see the light these days. We are out of the Oxy now at this point. Don't need it or want it anyway at this point. Not gonna lie, it came in real handy days 6-10. Never got high but it took the edge off the w/d's. Lack of energy and just always tired is really the only problem at this point. Just didnt feel like doing anything but watching tv.

Day 13 (today) - woke up feelin better than any day since we stopped. Slept for ten hrs again last night. I know we arent in the clear yet by a long stretch but I know each day is gonna be better than the last which is awesome. My whole reason for writing this is to spread some positivity for someone. Some days were rough yes; and yes we had some opiates to help thru the roughest days; but it wasnt the end of the world. First 5 days were a breeze almost, I kept waiting for the shit to crush me but it never really came till day 6. Day 6-10 were a struggle but I don't think it would have been too bad even if we didnt have the OP's to help. I don't know. I was expecting hell. and it hasnt been too bad. If you think it's going to really suck then it will. I tried to stay as postive as I could. Tried to find something to do that would take my mind off how I was feeling. Whatever you can do to take you're mind off w/d, do it. Video games/movies etc. We found a lot of tips and tricks on these forums, so I wanted to share ours. I'll continue updating as we go on....Any questions feel free to ask...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:52 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

kramer...hurray for you! I'm jealous :) I love a positive story and I am very thankful to you for it.
I'm currently in my taper and at 10-11 mgs (depending on how the pill breaks LOL)

Very exicting stuff to be coming off...I welcome any little w/d symptom as a sign that I'm healing! Can't wait for the day I can jump. Hopefully sometime in July, I'll be ready. That's my goal, anyway...but not stressing if it takes a bit longer....I'm all about doing it as symptom free as possible.

Congrats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:31 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Eff yeah man! Congrats to both you and your brother!

After being on that stuff for as long as you guys were, it's gotta be a great feeling to finally be free eh?

Im at day 28 or so off sub and am feeling better by the day. I think I basically had the exact same exp as you guys did. It wasnt the most comfortable deal the first 10 or so days, but by far not NEARLY as bad as some of the stuff i've read on here.

So big ups to you for getting through it and THEN posting... I say that because I think that there are SO many people that HAVENT gone through this "insane misery" that so many speak of that dont come back and post about their exp.

So, seriously, good for you man for lookin out, telling your story and letting folks know that not ALL sub stopping expieriences are hell...

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thanks Wicked. grats on 28 days. can't wait to get there. yea man thats y i wanted to post on here. The worst of it was more or less an uncomfortable feeling for 10 days. I've been sicker from a serious flu before than what we went thru.

So many horror stories about how we r basically in for hell. I mean don't get me wrong, I have had my moments of feeling shitty for a few hrs here and there but it wasnt so bad as we were expecting. I think 90% of it is mental. Once the first 10 days r over its more less just getting motivated to do things, lack of energy etc. But I was never "stuck in bed" or "hugging the toilet for days"....I know we all are different but once you're body is used to 1mg or less...I don't believe anyone will be in for super serious withdrawl unless u stress about it. Now jumping off 4-16mg/day would be a totally different nightmare I assume. Don't know how anyone could do that.

Today was pretty good, I felt great most of the day. Had a 3 hour wave hit me like a truck this evening but that passed and I feel good again. Thx for sharing...ill keep yas updated. peace!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:05 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hey Kramer,

It's really good to read your story....and congrats on 2 weeks free of sub. I appreciate how you went about it...using small doses of a shorter acting opiate is def how many people and many detox centers do this...in Europe the use heroin to get people off of Methadone (some centers)...so that's understandable. I was on methadone for 2 1/2 years (at a clinic) and jumped at 75mg prepping to go on Sub...my mind set was positive and I wanted off methadone and I also used 5mg vicodin about 3 days during the 6 days I waited prior to starting Sub. I thought it would be absolute hell. EVERYONE said to go to 30mg of methadone first and I just didn't want to do it..I was sick of methadone and one day just said I'm done! Strange...maybe it happened that way for a reason. who knows. But I had a successful switch over, no pwd. Started at 16mg of sub for a month or so, down to 12 and now I'm on 8mg, 7mg today as i want to taper and get off due to finances mostly. For me, I probably am someone who could be a long time Sub user but I cannot afford it and unless something comes through for me I need to try to use what I have left to get off of it. I have about 50 8mg tabs left.

Two days ago I went from 8mg to 6mg and by afternoon was not doing well. I was hot flashing all day, which I HATE, was out and about trying to stay busy but was beet red in the face and literally sweat pouring off me...then I started getting a headache...and feeling that weird, uncomfortable feeling where I want to hide away. So, I went home and took the other 2mg. I wanted to see if it WAS w/d and yep, in about 45 min I was feeling fine. Either that or I really mind f myself. Probably both!

The other thing that I thought was cool about your story is you have your brother doing this with you. It sounds like you both had similar experiences? If so that is even better. I thought about finding others on the forum who right now want to taper and jump, like me, and trying to do it together as a way to get added incentive and support...but we are all so different in our responses it might not work like I think. so, good for you two! I have a friend who is tapering right now and she is really struggling....and the lower she gets the harder it is for her and that worries me. I've only been on sub four months and I keep holding onto the idea it might be easier for me....but I have NO idea if that makes any difference...heard it both ways.

So, keep posting how you are doing..what vitamins did you take? Did you take a killer b complex? that usually helps immensely with energy levels, esp B6. I'm shocked your dr did not give you Clonodin but gave you xanax? WTF? Funny...clonodine is awesome.

Thanks for posting!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks china...yes it def helped that my brother and i went thru this 2gether. we both experieced pretty much the same w/d symptoms. i kno its expensive but i'd recommend to get comfortable at ur dose when u taper down. We did like 4mg for a few months, then 2mg for couple months and then last month we were on 1-2mg. then jumped. whenever we would drop a dose there would def be a 4-7 day stretch where I felt shitty a little but it's just ur body gettin used to that dosage, its bearable tho, it passes.

Vitamin wise this is what we've been taking a couple times a day: a daily multi-viatamin is just not enough imo

Vit A
Vit B-Complex
Vit E
Vit D
L-Tyrosine -REALLY helps with energy (get at GNC)
Taurine - helps relax (GNC)
CoQ10
5-HTP (GNC)
Melatonin (At night to sleep, helped me the most probably)

Day 14 - feel better than yesterday again. more or less just fighting that lethargic feeling. Kind of tired but drank last night so could be from that lol. Can't wait to see how i feel in a week....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:28 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Good to know, Im finishing my 9th day. I was in bed all day today, may have been my hardest day yet. I have about 5 or 6 Norco sitting in a shot glass on my bar so I think it may be in my best interests to flush them at this point. The legs, knees especially are killing me. I have been trying to go to PT as much as I can, in fact I have a 8:30 appointment tomorrow morning. I don't know if Ill make it back to PT until next week.

At first I was either exhausted or restless, now its all I can do to prepare food, not that I even feel hungry. I am taking a good selection of vitamins. Hopefully a couple of more days.

Thanks for the post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:40 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

wow good for you..................hang in there its so encoraging to know people can get off this :) and survive

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:19 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Im on day 13 now and feeling at 80% pretty good . I've been on suboxone for 6 years worst mistake ever started at 16mg a day then recently tapered to 4mg a day and decided to jump because it was getting expensive and really lost my natural mojo.
Days 1-2 not bad very tolerable
Days 3-5 I just felt like I couldn't move, the mornings were the worst took me an hour to just shower.
I did take 5mg of oxycodone (hesitantly) just to get up.
I started reading online what helps and doesn't. So bought multi vitamins, b12, omega fish oil and 5htp. I think it helped.
Days 6-8 I started to feel a little better. My senses were on overdrive food tasted better, things smelled intense. Luckily I have a boxer which I have to walk twice day the first few steps felt like I had to muster up every ounce of energy to do but once I got going I started to feel better. What really helped was music. I haven't stopped listening to music since and I felt my natural endorphins rushing through my brain it was awesome.

Days 9-10 I started to exercise, keep busy , and kept jamming , singing to songs and I wish I had done this earlier but we learn as we heal.

Days 11-13 I feel my brain is now releasing a steady flow of endorphins which is making me feel better so I exercise harder and harder everyday.

The one thing I didn't mention was the grueling insomnia I got days 4-9 I slept 2 hours a night if that. So I started to take .5mg of xanax last two night and slept 6-7 hours which is awesome for now. I'm not trying to go more than 5 days on xanax. Want my body to be pure.

I actually feel pretty good except for the occasional lack of energy but that goes away once you get up and move around (albeit a struggle at first)