It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi. So this is my first time posting on here, but I am in desperate need of support from somewhere. I'll give a little background of where I'm at: I was addicted to pills for two, almost three, years when I decided to get clean. This was in August (2011) and I got on subs and was off them in a week and a half with no withdrawals. (not prescribed. I buy them from my friend.) I stayed clean until October when my ex-boyfriend came back in the picture and was giving me free pills everyday for two weeks. Since then, I have been on and off subs and relapsed with pills a total of fifteen times or more. About two weeks ago, I decided to get off every thing for GOOD and start my new (clean) life with my now fiance.

So, the last time I did a pill was about two weeks ago and this was my tapering method when I started the subs.
Day 1- 6 mg. (To stop w/d)
Day 2- 4 mg.
Day 3- 4 mg.
Day 4- 2 mg.
Day 5- 2 mg.
Day 6- 1 mg.
Day 7- 1 mg.
Day 8- 1/2 mg.
Day 9- 1/2 mg.
Day 10- 1/4 mg.
Day 11- 1/4 mg.

On Day 12, I did not take any subs and now it is day 4 without anything. I have been going through mild w/d (Chills, sneezing, excessive yawning, RLS, depression etc. etc.) I'm in college and have skipped the last three days of classes and am scared I'm going to fail them due to absences but it's so hard to do anything at all. My question is: Should I take 1/4 mg. of a sub and then none tomorrow and then less the next day and do it every other day like that? Or should I buy a pill and ween myself off that in tiny doses? (For some reason that makes sense to me, but it may just be me craving one) Or should I just suck it up? Will these symptoms go away soon?

Thank you for any help or advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:12 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

That is a very fast taper but you were only on pills for 2 weeks? Is that right? I was on Norco's for 3 years due to surgeries on my shoulder. I go ton subs in mid January and I stopped them 3 days ago. And that is considered to ba a very fast taper. I jumped at 1/40 mg. I used the liquid taper method. You should read up on that, it makes consistent dosing way easier. I think if you can give yourself 3-5 days on each new lower dose and jump really low it will be easier for you. That being said you are four days off and most say that is about half way through the acute part. But since you have not been using for a long time, maybe you will be fine. Clonidine if you can get it relaly helps the RLS. Good luck to you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was actually doing pills every day for about three years, but I got off them with subs over the summer. I then relapsed a countless amount of times...Doing pills, doing subs for a week and a half, repeat until about two weeks ago when I relapsed and decided I had had enough and wanted to get completely clean: no pills or subs. I had heard that the shorter amount of time you're on subs, the easier it is to get off them so that's why I tapered so fast. Also, because it worked over the summer with zero withdrawals. I have read about the liquid taper, but money is the issue. I don't have a sub doctor..I buy them off the street or get them for free from a friend.
That being said, I did about 1/4 mg. of a 8 mg. sub today because I had so much work to do and simply couldn't get out of bed. I was thinking maybe I could just do 1/4 mg. or less every three days or so until I don't need it? Do you think that would avoid the withdrawals? It's just funny because I used to wake up in full-blown opiate withdrawals every single morning when I was an addict and stayed that way until I could get a pill and now I'm such a wimp with mild withdrawals.
Thank you for the advice & the support!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

hey, id use 1 mg for a week or two, then .5 for a week, then .25 for a week, then stop, its hard to stop any way slow taper or short but it just makes it easier, for me if i get clean off subs my reasons like depression and anxiety will be back and will cause me to use so i just stay on them maintence, and its good for me, best of luck to you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Isn't school over in about 6 weeks? You might want to just stay on 0.25 to 0.5mg Sub until the end of the school year, and then use your time off to really adress your pill issue. By your own admission you've been on pills/on Subs/on pills, repeat, coutless times. The issue really isn't how to get off of Subs, it's how to live life without drugs. People on this forum have reported jumping cold turkey from 12mg while others have tapered down to 0.012mg. There's really no "right" way, and you already know from experience you can get off of them if you want to bad enough.
But how to stop yourself from taking that first drug when life gets rough or you just feel like getting high? That's the real challenge. Most addicts can't do it on their own. You're really going to need some support if you want to get off the drugs for good. Maybe you can seek out other recovering addicts or find out what type of help is available through your school (like counseling or support groups). I wish you the best of luck. Feel free to continue posting whatever you're going through on this forum. There are a lot of supportive people here, and we know what you're going through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah, i was actually thinking about doing that; only doing .25 when needed (hopefully skipping days) until the school year is over. It's just too difficult with school every morning and work every other day. Thanks for all the advice!! I'm going to start going to NA meetings and have been checking out a lot of addiction and self-help books from the library. This has been the only time i have really wanted to stop for myself. All the other times I was just stopping because I ran out of money or because my boyfriend would get upset. But now I really see for the first time what pills did to me and how more productive and happy my life is without them. It feels good to want to be clean and to be striving towards it. I haven't done a pill in about a month which is an all time record for me. : ] Anyway, thanks for all the support...I'll definatly be posting on here and hopefully helping other people, too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:07 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I think if you continue to struggle you should think about trying to stay on Sub for at least a few months and doing so with your own doctor. There is only so much one can get from the internet. If you feel like you are going to relapse then try to find a therapist/counselor and a Sub Doctor. If you are unable to stay sober for longer then a month you probably have some things you need to work out. Most of us use because of poor coping mechanisms. Also, the nature of chemical dependency often leads to increased dependence. Nip this thing in the bud now. It is good that you say you want to quit for yourself because that is the number one key... and it has to be strong because it will be tested.