It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:29 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

As i write, I am nearing the end of day 28. still sneezing, still got diahhrea, and still suffer from bouts of lethargy, although I am NOWHERE NEAR as lethargic as I was a couple weeks back. I'd say I'm up to 80% my normal self! No other symptoms but the above mentioned.

My xanax perscription runs out in 3 days. I knew this was coming a few weeks back and started looking for herbal alternatives. Pot is not an option for me, I need something less mind altering and more legal. I found EXACTLY what I was looking for about a week ago.

The drug is called kava, a root from Hawaii, and it is found in your local healthfood store. It comes in extract form, but I would reccommend ordering the actual root from a farm. The extract does not work well because it is not properly absorbed into the digestive system. I ordered mine straight from Kaui, Hawaii, and mix it with 1 part milk, 2 parts water.

Its effects are similar to that of xanax and alcohol, minus the mind altering effects. The body feels loose, social behavior is enhanced. You have a warm, lovey feeling towards others. However, it does not lower your inhibitions, and it actually increases your focus, unlike other alcohol or benzos. you can read more about it here http://www.erowid.org/plants/kava/kava.shtml

just thought I'd let yall know I'm still alive and relapse free., and wanted to share with you guys what I've found to help during withdrawal, feel free to take it or leave it. I drink a glass of this stuff each night, and ever since I started, I've actually been sleepng normally again. In fact, I'd say it works better than my xanax perscription ever did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:33 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Interesting.. I used to live in Maui and I heard about Kava from a Tongan man I knew there, its was used only by the men but thats all I know about it, havent even heard anyone bring it up till you just did.. :) good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:52 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

couple of questions for you. First, can you give us the website you ordered it from. I want to try it but dont want to get the wrong one. Also, is it addictive? I still struggle with restlessness and anxiety, mainly at night so something that works like a benzo would be great if it is not addictive like a benzo. How similar is it to xanax? does it help with anxiety as well as xanax does? Interesting post, I always like hearing about new alternatives to pills.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

www.konakavafarm.com - I ordered the powdered root

There is also a method to preparing it. You can find such methods via google.

The FDA determined that kava was non addicting and non habit forming, and thus allows it to be sold as an herbal supplement. I believe the reason that it is non addictive is because unlike xanax and alcohol, it does not cloud your judgement. I am always conscious of the fact that Im an addict while on this stuff, and thus, I believe I am less likely to abuse.

As for the similarity to xanax...Kava makes my body feel light like xanax does. It is also like alcohol in some ways. You get a warm feeling, and a little numbing of the skin. Nothing like opiate numb, more like alcohol numb. However, all these effects are extremely subtle, and sometimes not even noticeable.

It deals with anxiety in a different way than xanax in my opinion. Xanax tends to make you not care about your problems. Kava, on the other hand, increases your focus and makes you feel good enough to deal with whatever makes you anxious.

One more thing I feel I should tell you. Some people do not feel the effects of kava until their 4th or 5th time taking it. Kind of like marijuana.

Hope I answered your questions! Good luck, and let me know if it works for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just wanted to add one thing. Here in Michigan there's a new law that bans pretty much anything that's chemically similar to known drugs/narcotics, etc. So you might want to check with your state laws to make sure you're not ordering something that's illegal in your state. (I'm not saying it IS illegal, just that it MIGHT be.) Just a thought.

Also, when it comes to anxiety, I'd suggest trying things like meditation before going with pills, especially something you really don't know much about. Anxiety is something alot of us experience when we stop using drugs. It's an offshoot of no longer using to numb our emotions. Now that we're off them, we must figure out a way to deal with the every day ups and downs and anxiety that is very normal in everyone's life. It's something we just have t learn to deal with. Just my two cents.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.