It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Day Five Off Suboxone
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:47 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey! So I have reached day 5. Before I get into that I will tell you a little about my past.

I began using Oxycontin (when they were still around a few years ago) recreationally. I then started to use the 30mg roxies for about half a year, eventually shooting them up. After that I moved onto H for a couple of months...how much a day I can't say, but it was quite a bit.

After my stint with H I decided that I had to get clean, so I decided to go to a sub doctor. This wasn't an ordinary sub doctor...it included yoga and mindfulness meditation and discussions three times a week, as well as only one week prescriptions at a time and drug tests each time you wanted a prescription. It basically made it impossible to still use and then just take the suboxone so you didn't get sick, which is what I wanted.

I started suboxone at 16mgs a day. I think it was originally 4mg 4 times a day. Anyways over about 6 months I tapered down to 8mg, then to 4mg, and then eventually to 2 mg. I was only down to 2 mg for about two weeks or so, since my insurance had run out and I had planned to stop taking suboxone when that happened. So I jumped off at 2 mg (after about 10-11 months total of taking suboxone every day).

So here I am at day five. I feel pretty good. Mentally I feel great, better than I have in years. I'm usually a pretty positive person and very sociable no matter what so that probably helps quite a bit. The only part that is really killing me is the lack of sleep. I think I've slept about 5 hours total in the past six days...which just really doesn't cut it for me. At this point I feel like some of the body aches are from not sleeping, as well as some PAWS mixed in there. Definitely still have a bit of the restless legs.

So now onto a question, that I know is very controversial. I have tried melatonin, and tylenol pm at night, neither of which seemed to work at all. I have done benzos before in my life, never to the point of getting addicted. So tonight I am going to get a few benzos to help sleep. I know some of you will wonder why I would do that after 5 days, but I mean this is strictly for sleep. Just at night time, low dose. I also don't plan on staying on it for any extended period of time. My plan is to take it tonight, see if it helps me sleep, and then not take it tomorrow night. I will do this for a maximum of 3 times. So that would be taking benzos for 3 nights max, not even in a row.

So my question is what are the thoughts on this? I just really want to catch a night of sleep and see how I feel after that. I know a lot about benzos, their addictiveness, etc. I have a very strong will when it comes to other drugs and not taking them, except opiates. I understand this could be playing with fire for some people, but I have used benzos in the past for a night or two to get some sleep and moved on like it never happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think 3 nights of benzos sounds justified. Even Dr. J, who hates benzos, said in one of his posts that a few doses for opiate
WD isn't unreasonable. It sounds like you are well aware of the dangers. Hopefully you will get some sleep and feel better soon.
Please come back and let us know how you are doing. Oh, and BTW, congratulations on getting of Sub.
Take care,
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:17 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I recommend Valerian Root (you can get it at WalMart in the vitamins section), even if you use the benzos for a few days, and then you're still having problems sleeping, this will at least help plus is non-habit-forming.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi people of the page :) I'm on week 2 of jumping off subs. I did an aggressive 14 day taper and my only symptoms were lack of energy, depression and I couldn't sleep. I forced myself to get out and live life like nothing was going on. Only had a very slight rls issue when I was still. I took over the counter sleep aid sold at any grocery or drug store and it worked so I didn't lose much sleep. I feel okay. What helps is knowing the lack of energy, depression, crying for no reason, rls, whatever else creeps up is all because of your body trying to get back to normal after drug dependency and knowing it will end soon. I say do whatever you have to do to get through this except something that will hurt your progress and be careful with the benzos because I used to take xanax under a doctors care and decided I wanted to go off them and my xanax withdrawal was way worse than my opiate and sub withdrawal. But you seem to know whats up. Good luck to you and your progress and congrats on your success.