It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:08 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello all,
I am new here but I wanted to post my story on jumping off 2 mg of suboxone. I couldn't do it in hospital on a ketamine infusion - and I failed every other time I tried.
Here in Australia the lowest dose you can now get is 2 mg which is ridiculous - the manufactueres say you can jump off 2 mg no problems - but that's a big fat lie!!! So here is what I did - I am still in mild withdrawal but it's helped NOT to have expectations of a fast recovery and be determined to stick it through to the end - it WILL get better.
A little background info - I was only addicted to codeine (no illicit drugs) and it would have been so much better to just cold turkey it off codeine - but I couldn't do it either.... I have been on subutex and then suboxone for 6 years!!! But I have determined not to look at them as wasted years because I learnt so much about my body and my emotions.

I planned when I was going to jump and got prescriptions from my GP for Ambien for 2 weeks to help me sleep, Clonidine for the sweats and twitchiness and Phenergan (anti histamine) for the sneezing and nose and eyes watering. The Clonidine I feel has been the most helpful and occasional Loperamide if the diarrhea hits. You don't want to overdo the Loperamide - each time I had diarrhea I found it helpful to think "well, that's more of this damn suboxone getting out" - it worked!!

So I had prescriptions for assistance and I simply stopped taking it (and I did advise my Dr who encouraged me also). The first few days were nothing at all - just some minor restless legs and sweats. Days 3-12 were the worst - this is where my coping tools had to come to the fore - I PRAYED and PRAYED for healing and I could feel the presence of The Lord - I am convinced I could NOT have done it without Him..... I purposely kept a 2 mg film of Suboxone on the bedside cabinet so I could poke my tongue out at it!! And I did this a lot!!!! At no time during withdrawal did I have any desire to restart it or any other narcotic or opiate.
Every single day - no matter how vile I felt I dragged myself up off the bed and walked - at first only 15 minutes twice a day then gradually building up. I'm now going to the gym every second day and walking every day also!! :-)

The ONLY reason this worked was not my willpower - it was learning to fully trust my Lord and Saviour, the prayers and support of family and friends, the support of my Doctor and PRAYER. In my darkest moments I sang to the Lord - just little songs I would make up and feel so close to Him. So I don't get any credit for getting off this - all Glory to God....

Honestly? I am still in shock that I couldn't do this in a hospital setting with a very powerful drug called Ketamine - but I did it alone at home.....home is best I think as that's where your routine is and hospital was just awful as was the Ketamine infusion - it just slowed everything down so that 5 minutes felt like 5 hours..... don't go this route!!!!

I've tried to keep this brief - but please feel free to ask me any questions or contact me for support. If I can jump off 2mg suboxone then anybody can - I'm a woosie when it comes to withdrawals!!!

BEST OF ALL - I KNOW IN MY GUT, HEART AND HEAD - I will never go back - (this is hard to explain - it's just a "knowing") my emotions have returned, my family and friends say I am the Susan I was before, the profuse sweating I had on sub is gone, my hands and feet are no longer swollen and fluidy, -
The only thing I can't get back is my teeth. They simply rotted and I had to have them all out at the age of 49 which sucks frankly as I don't get on with false teeth and can't afford implants. I wish there were a class action against Reckitt Benkissker regarding the use of Sub and dental caries - it's not on their literature that you should brush, floss and rinse after dosing - and my pharmacist or Dr never told me either. Real angry re this but you can't grow your teeth back and I refuse to be a victim!!!!

I realize long term suboxone maintenance is great for the user who will revert back to hard drugs if off suboxone - in that case it's a lifesaver - but for simple addictions to pain pills -I don't think it's worth the grief. Far better to have a week of hard withdrawal and misery than a long drawn out miserable withdrawal.

Having said all that - I am so HAPPY!!!!! Im listening to music again, I'm out of bed early instead of getting up early afternoon - in other words my mind is no longer in an opiate haze - I didn't realize how different I had become until I came off this drug.

If I can do it - you can also.
Hugs to all, :)
Susan
"Live, Love, Laugh today, because you never know what tomorrow will bring"

[font=Arial] [/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:26 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Bump- it's now day 25- feeling a bit better each day- the changes back to normality are subtle so it's great to keep a journal so u can see how far you've come
Blessings to all
Ps- I'm suing Reckitt for loss of my teeth- they rotted!
Wish me luck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:50 pm 
Hey SusanJasper, great story and Im glad youve had such success quitting subs, which is no small task. Your teeth probably rotted because subs dehydrate your body and in particular your mouth, which makes your teeth more suseptable to rotting. Having a moist mouth is key to healthy teeth and mouth.

I agree that subs can def be a lifesaver, they most certainly were for me. There are many benefits to going on subs, but also many problems. The unfortunate reality that many sub users are reluctant to acknowledge (including myself when I was on them) is that subs are quite unhealthy for multiple reasons. They can take a toll on your internal organs such as liver and kidneys as well as your dental hygeine, among other things. For example, I am an avid weightlifter, I love to workout and powerlift to build muscle. When I was on subs and I worked out, my muscles would be sore for 6 or 7 days, and I mean incredibly sore. After I quit subs I realized that not only was I significantly stronger in the gym, but I was only sore for 2 days after a workout and my muscles sustained much more noticeable gains after each workout compared to when I was on subs.

Also, subs can take a hefty toll on your bodies ability to sleep normally. Thank the Lord I have not suffered and PAWS as I know other people claim they have, but I will say that my sleep cycles have been less than ideal since I quit subs.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.