It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone. I'm new here and thought I'd give some of you, who are quitting Suboxone, some positive news. I remember reading the forums (this one and others) and reading of nightmare scenarios that scared me to death. I had a 10 year opiate addiction and decided to try and quit. My doctor told me about Suboxone and I thought, "Awesome! I can quit, not be addicted to anything, and no withdrawal! Yay!". How wrong I was. I traded one addiction for another one, although I will say with Suboxone I never took more than was prescribed and felt energized. I never felt "icky", which was great. I started off with 3 8mg pills a day (before the strips). That was too much, and I felt sleepy so we went down to 2 8mg pills a day. That worked. I stayed on that for about a year and a half and began the tapering process. I think I'm doing so well now because I took a loooong time to taper. The last several months, I was down to 1/4 of a 8mg strip at bedtime only. Now, I will say the first few days after I ran out weren't fun. But I followed the "Thomas Recipe" to the letter and already on day 10, my husband and I are about to go shopping and eat dinner. I never thought it would be this quick, after reading some people take 90 days to feel ok. I know it's different for everyone, but I do want people to know that there are some cases of it not taking so long. I still feel some tiredness and a little upset stomach, but am feeling ok otherwise. I wish you all good luck! I know it's hard but it's so worth it! I'm looking so forward to not being on any types of meds in over 13 years! :D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:38 pm 

Welcome to the forum!

10 days opiate free is a great start!! Tapering as low as you can is smart because it saves you from harsher withdrawal symptoms when you do quit. I wish you the best of luck as you continue your journey!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

That's awesome!! My physical withdrawals were not as long as most either. Although tiredness and fatigue lasted me over 2 months (but I jumped off at 8mgs)... Make sure to stay vigilant and prepare yourself for cravings and moments of weakness in case they come. Good luck to you, hope you keep posting!!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much, guys! I will definitely return and keep everyone posted. I know there will be days that I will have cravings. I know there will be bad days and good days. I'm prepared, or as best I can be anyway. I know I'm early on in my opiate-free life. But I hope this is just the beginning. Thank you so much for the encouragement! :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:27 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hey Fijay,
Hope everything is going well with you going into day 13. Just wanted to check up with you. Happy Halloween!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:04 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Quietaddict,

Thank you so much for checking in. It's now day 28 (I think, lol) and so far, so good. I have not relapsed and the worst symptoms are over. I'm still struggling with lethargy and boredom though, which is hurting my home business. I'm doing the bare minimum to keep things going, but I'm getting so angry with myself for not being more energetic and focused. Luckily, I have an incredible support system in my husband. He is so understanding and patient. And he tells me he's proud of me, which helps so much and gives me strength to keep going. Today, I'm trying a 5 hour energy drink, and so far it seems to be helping. I just hope it doesn't mess with my sleep tonight. I'm luckier than most, in that I get to work from home during this and that my children are grown and living on their own (they are 23 & 24 years old). I can't imagine doing this and having to go to an office and take care of little ones. A HUGE hat's off to those of you that do. If you are doing that and quitting suboxone (or any opiate) then you are a MOUNTAIN of strength. I hope you all know that.

I hope everyone is well and staying strong. After spending most of my 30's and half of my 40's on one type of drug or another, I will say that I am looking forward to truly belonging to myself again. :D

Thanks again Quietaddict and I hope all is well with you!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:58 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

This happened to me exactly, I couldn't afford the 5 hour energy drinks but Dollar General has stacker 2 energy shots that supposedly have no sugar and natural supplements (although it has a lot of caffeine).. At a $1 each I probably spent $100 on them in from 20-50 days or so. They had a small amount of L-Tyrosine in them. If you can find them, they work somewhat. I manage a small company and I was the exact same way. I did absolutely nothing hardly except what I HAD to do. Luckily, I have a guy working for me who is really good so he kept us afloat until I got my motivation back. Motivation didn't really come back gradually or at least I didn't notice, I just noticed one day I had motivation to work and it was even more than when I was on subs. I didn't mess around on the computer all day I actually got stuff done. I noticed too that I was wanted to talk to people again and started calling people randomly. I went on this annoying kick where if you'd text me, I'd call you immediately so you had to talk to me. In withdrawal I hated those people, I just wished if anyone NEEDED me they would just text. Working out helped me, as long as I stick with it. I had/have my problems with slips and whatnot and coming up on month 7 I'm having to work harder to not call around looking for something for that "one day of fun" that always turns into more. But currently I still remember the pain and sleepless nights and depression that it leads too when you try to stop again so that keeps me motivated. Hopefully, by the time I forget again, i'll be in a stronger spot. Good luck to you, keep posting and staying positive.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for sharing all that, Quietaddict! Glad to know I'm not alone in feeling like this. I'll try the off brand 5 hour energy and see how they do. The "name brand" one will definitely get expensive. I had a better day today, energy-wise, thanks to the drink. I was jittery and I'm starting to feel tired so I don't think it will keep me up all night. I know what you mean about the phone calls, too! I didn't want to talk on the phone at all when on subs. Now....when I was taking opiates I looooved to chat when I was high. Now I think I'm hitting a happy medium. :-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ooops, meant to say I WASN'T jittery. Sorry for the typo!