It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I want get into my prior drug use because it's the same ole story as most all of us have been through. I've been on Suboxone for the past 3 years. I started the treatment at the Atlanta VA hospital and transferred to the care of Dr. Chris Stock at the Salt Lake City VA hospital. I've been taking the same steady dose of 8mg in the AM and 8mg in the PM for 3 years straight.

I was recently cut off from Suboxone with basically a pat on the back. I supposedly didn't comply with the required counseling or NA meetings that are useless to me(IN MY OPINION). I was literally in tears in the doctors office saying I was gonna end up in the emergency room if he couldn't atleast allow me to properly ween off. His response "unfortunately that's your best option"

I started reading through these forums and I honestly became petrified! I've experienced the grueling Oxycontin detox on several occasions so I knew what was possible. I don't handle withdrawals very well AT ALL!! Reading how brutal the withdrawals supposedly are is enough to send anyone into panic. I don't have any drug connections because I've been clean for 3 years so I prepared for the worst. I bought 3 bottles of pepto, 2 bottles of immodium, 2 bottles of Somna Tabs, Gatorade, Pedialyte, 2 packs of smokes, rented 5 movies, and cleared my schedule from a week before Christmas until Jan 1st.

Well here I am 8 days later and I honestly feel like the horror stories of suboxone withdrawal are the most misleading thing on the internet. Comparing Suboxone withdrawal to Oxycontin withdrawal is like comparing a dragon to a flamingo. Are there withdrawal symptoms, HELL YEAH but NOTHING and I do mean NOTHING compared to short acting opiates.

Day 1(48 hrs after last dose) thru Day 5 did sorta suck but again, nothing in comparison to day 1-4 off other opiates. I had a rumbling stomach and diarrhea but not so bad that my ass was raw but more of just diarrhea during the usual time I go #2, haha. I cried during some movies for the first time in years. I've been lazy as hell, lost a very small bit of my appetite, and boredom has sucked because I live alone. I had VERY few instances where I felt cold but wearing long johns helped solve that. I didn't take a shower or change long johns for 4 days(I know, disgusting) but I never once had extreme sweating and annoying chills. My sleep would have been a factor but luckily I had some strong sleeping pills that would knock me out.

Yesterday(Day 7), I went out driving around in the mountains listening to music which was VERY comforting. I wish I could drive around for 2 hours everyday now but gas is just to expensive. I also went to the grocery store and cleaned my dishes from the prior 7 days of laziness. I could have easily gone to work yesterday if I would have had to. My cravings have returned and I now find myself thinking of how nice it would be to have a bottle of oxy or hydro but it's manageable.

My main point is that getting of Suboxone was a cake walk compared to other pain pills. Hell, I have full intentions on going skiing as soon as this weekend and most of you know that freezing weather is miserable for someone in withdrawals.

I really feel like some peoples personal horror stories can be misleading, so much so that the fear of Suboxone withdrawal has spread like the plague. Statistically speaking, it's proven that coming off of Suboxone is marginal compared to other opiates. Sure there are cases when people have severe reactions when stopping but statistics prove over and over and over that the majority of folks tolerate the Suboxone withdrawal on much easier terms. I actually have two whole Suboxones sitting on my desk right in front of me that were supposed to be used when things got REALLY bad but I never needed them.

SOME TIPS:

1). Sleeping or the lack of sleep is the #1 most complained about side effect to Suboxone withdrawal. When you don't sleep than all kinds of shit starts getting out of whack in your body that compliments withdrawal symptoms. I'd imagine that alot of folks think they are experiencing depression and other symptoms of suboxone withdrawal when their really experiencing sleep deprivation. Some folks believe exercising is the most important aspect to recovery. Maybe so but ill be damn if your gonna ever find my ass in the gym during my first 4-7 days of detox(although possible on suboxone detox). I think sleep is the #1 key to recovery. Get some sleeping pills that will knock your ass out and cause extended drowsiness. Ambien would knock me out but then I'd be wide awake 2 hours later so it was kinda useless to take alone. I've been taking something called Lunesta along with something called Serequil with 2-3 glasses of wine. I sleep 8 hours like a baby.

2). Smoke weed. I honestly haven't smoked weed since last 4th of July until this past week. I don't even like smoking weed but I found it helpful. I had about a dime bag that I found in a lost backpack at a Widespread Panic concert from last 4th of July. The weed would make me go from not having an appetite to eating an enormous helping of peanut butter ice cream. It also helped me lose track of time(day dream) while watching movies vs. thinking about withdrawals. It helps with sleep as well. Luckily I have a low tolerance to weed so a small bowl(3-4 tokes) does the trick.

3). Have movies already planned out for the boredom. Channel surfing sucks when your bored and nothing seems interesting. When you wake up from a long nap than just hit play on a new DVD and try and relax vs having the chore of finding a movie you haven't seen a hundred times over again.

4). Order some Kratom. I forgot I had some Kratom from an attempted detox from about 6 years ago until 3 days ago(wish I would have found it sooner). I honestly believe folks could continue on without missing a single day of work if they used Kratom. Take the time to read about it. It's actually illegal in many countries because it works. It's 100% legal in the US and it can be on your door step in 24hrs. Trust me, it want be long before our BS government starts trying to control it as well. I realize some folks claim Kratom to be addictive or whatever but so is chocolate and ImmodiumAD. Atleast Kratom is cheap, easy to get, short acting, and far far less addictive than pain pills. Even if you did become slightly addicted to Kratom than atleast you still want find yourself crying in a doctors office feeling desperate when an asshole uneducated doctor makes you go cold turkey off Suboxone. Kratom will honestly temporarily relieve every symptom of opiate withdrawal and has been used for opiate withdrawal for hundreds of years. If you absolutely have to get out and do something than Kratom will easily buy you a few hours of normal feeling.

That's about all I have to say. Just don't let the worst case scenario horror stories scare you into an absolute panic like it did me. Call in sick for 1 week and become the worlds greatest couch potato. Your still gonna be able to function but your just gonna be lazy as hell for a week or so.

Now I just got to try and find another doctor in Utah that's affordable and caring. I am not safe living with these cravings I've battled my entire life. Suboxone bought me the past 3 years of freedom from illegal opiate addiction. Sure Suboxone has it's downfalls but I'll take Suboxone 10x's over again vs. the alternative. Folks who claim Suboxone to be "the devils pills" or whatnot need to get educated. Suboxone has done 10x's the amount of good than bad. There are thousands of folks who are clean and safe from dangerous street drugs thanks to Suboxone. I don't care if I'm supposedly "substituting drugs" in some folks eyes. I'd rather get my meds from a legal safe doctors office than off the streets. I've finally come off a 3 year Suboxone run and I'd gladly go back on Sub tomorrow. I don't like having the cravings and temptations in my life and Suboxone solves that problem.

If anybody could please recommend an affordable Utah Suboxone Doctor than I'd greatly appreciate it. Preferably one who doesn't run his practice like a parole officer. I have no problems with a monthly drug test but weekly drug tests where their practically looking at your penis with a microscope is just down right degrading. I don't have any insurance so I'm hoping to find care for less than $300/month.

Sorry for the long post but good luck to all of you. I'm damn sure not an expert on this stuff but I'd be more than glad to help any of should you have any questions I might could help with.

Post subject: Thanks so much.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been fretting so hard about the terrible detox and the, duh duh duh, dreaded PAWS. lol. Sorry I couldn't do the sound, giggle. I am very happy about going without any drugs except my Prialt. I was put on suboxone to taper down from Demerol. That was some nasty withdrawal. Emergency rooms the whole bit. So, to hear these horror stories, but they are all on the internet writing their woes. ha ha. Nothing like the ones I went through. I couldn't move.

If you go to the index and scroll down, at the bottom is a link for Doctor's. Figure if Dr. J places them here, hopefully they should be decent. Good luck and make sure they treat you well.

I am if possible, curious about what I should be expecting as symptoms that are real and not psychosomatic. I am trying to figure out how you know when your tolerance is down and the next jump a, ha ha comfortable one. I truly think if you take months on each level it will become where you are safe. But, I want off this stuff with the least difficult and if I is a factor less on the PAWS side. Haven't been able to find enough about PAWS and sub to if tapering lowers this. I have seen evidence that it doesn't matter. This from those who are off it now and going through it. Funny how everyone blames sub for their woes, when it saved them a horrible w/d. We can get on the internet, heck work, and they complain. Sob. They just forgot where they were prior to sub.

Thanks for your help. I really will appreciate any insight you can share.
me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congrats blueindian. It sounds to me like you were one of the fortunate ones.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:26 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

hi blueindian! not only did i find your post informative{i am at 16 mg also}but it was also funny! good sense of humor. from what i hear from a good friend, va hospitals are very strict and not well educated on sub. their program drops at 4 mgs and goes straight to naltrexone treatment. are you kidding me? he was smart enough not to take it, but went back to any pill he could find on the street when the program ended at 4 mg. while on sub, he had gotten his life back together, when dropped, he got in legal trouble for embezzling to support his habbit. he is now homeless. i am glad you took the higher road!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know it's been a couple months but I wanted to comment. Congrats for getting through it! If you want to find a suboxone doctor you can actually search on Suboxone.com. I found the best doctor down here in Texas. I only pay $100 when I go see him every 4months. He gave me a Suboxone discount card so I don't have to pay for my prescription. He is truly a great doctor. I feel bad for all these people on here getting screwed by doctors. My doctor isn't making me get off but is leaving the plan to me with support. I've gotten down to 1.5mg & can't wait to be done! Good luck!