It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Had my baby on December 30th (emergency c-section), and she didn't have any sign of withdrawal! I was discharged from hospital after 3 days. I was on 0.05 mg of buprenorphine by the time of her birth, during the last three months I tapered from 0.1 mg to 0.05 mg. We're so happy, apparently a very low dose of buprenorphine does not lead to NAS.

Good luck to all other mums-to-be!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations on your new baby! Great to here you baby was healthy. Enjoy, they grow up so fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That is fantastic! Congratulations. And it proves to other mothers out there that it is possible.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and thats sssooooooo great! It was really great of you to share that info..........

AND of course good job on staying healthy during your pregnancy!!!!!

enjoy every moment with your new daughter :) :) :)

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Congrats on your new baby and also on the fact that she had no NAS it is so relieving to hear that its possible I am due end of FEB and terrified. I am on 8mg of subutex trying to taper down but its hard and I feel like crap. I heard so many times though that it does not make a difference on what dose you are on is that still true or if you are on that low of a dose does it make a difference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

End of February, not long now! I remember that the last weeks before her birth were the hardest, I was so impatient..

Concerning dose and NAS, most studies seem to indicate that there is no linear dose - NAS relation in the high dose range between 2 mg and 32 mg. Please don't take the "high dose" as moral or whatever judgement, but buprenorphine has been used for year as pain medication (e.g. Temgesic), and here the doses usually stay well below 2 mg per day. France was the first country using buprenorphine on a large scale to treat opiate addiction starting in 1992, and the treatment is called there BHD (Buprenorphine Haute Dosage - High Dose Buprenorphine).

That said using doses above 2-4 mg the studies have not found a clear dose NAS relation. At doses above 2-4 mg one usually assumes that all mu-opioid receptors are covered by buprenorphine for at least 24 hours. So maybe that's why dose does not really matter in this range. Another observation is that no clear relation exists between the maternal dose and the fetal dose, which seems to vary largely. Another factor is that for example maternal smoking seems to create NAS like symptoms, and so do of course other medications. Most studies (and I did extensively research this topic) do not really control these other variables, so the NAS of a child born while the mother was on 1 mg of buprenorphine might be well caused by factors besides the buprenorphine or in combination with buprenorphine. But in general it would absolutely defy logic if there wasn't a dose NAS relation, at least to a certain degree (I mean why do we taper than to discontinue buprenoprphine, if dose does not matter at all?)

Another observation, most studies usually include a lot of disenfranchised patients, who probably get better medical care in exchange for participation. I do not think one can apply the results directly to any expecting mom on buprenorphine (usually rates of illegal drug consumption quite high in these studies).

Please worry not too much, your baby will be fine, even if the little one has to be weaned during a short period of time. If tapering is hard for you and you feel withdrawal, you shouldn't taper! The baby will be uncomfortable as well and you increase the risk for prematurity. I'd split dose if you do not already do that, and try to keep the buprenorphine level as equal as possible during the day. At least for methadone it is suspected that split dosing decreases NAS severity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks so much for your response yea I am ready for her to come out already =) it gets harderand harder by the day lol. I do split the dose I take a quarter 4 times a day and going to try to cut down as much as possible I am so worried I just hope she comes out ok and don't know what to tell everyone if she winds up with nas but I am being as healthy as possible