It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

She checked in to the YWCA's chemical dependency center for women in South Bend IN, about 75 mi. from our home. We didn't have alot of info on it beforehand other than she could take 2 garbage bags full of personal items in, no food or drinks though. Because it is also a Domestic Violence facility, they won't even acknowledge what they do when you go to the front door, except to tell you to go to the back door.

Once in (through 2 sets of buzz in one-way mirrored doors) you are immediately struck by the chaos--tons of young children milling around while their mothers wait in line for a variety of reasons; one is holding up a thermometer yelling "it's 102, it's 102" while her sick toddler lies motionless across her shoulder. There's an elderly thin black lady with no teeth and a shopping cart (her 2 garbage bag qty. of personal items) yelling "Why ain't no one coming to get me-- been here over an hour already!" The harried woman behind the thick glassed reception cubicle cannot spare the time to call my daughter's caseworker and she blurts out something about "7 days min. inpatient, can get 3 meals for every hour worked, leave me all your meds and wait for your caseworker. Next."

There are volunteer aides going in and out along with the residents through 2 side hallway doors, assuming one is chemical dependency, the other domestic violence. After 30 min. someone comes in and scoops up my daughters bags to "process them." They take out the folded clothing, underwear and socks, towels, pillows, blankets and throw them all into a big dryer - "kills any bed bugs you might be bringing in." I get a quesy feeling. We're told the caseworker has now gone home. An aide comes to show Kim to her room. She will share it with 4 other women. There is a combination lock on the door. She explains that pilferage is high, watch your valuables because they won't intervene, you can just file a grievance. You are allowed to have a cell phone, DVD players, but no laptops (they go missing she says.) Do you administer any Detoxing meds? Do you give urine tests? She looks lost. Are there medical professionals here? No, but they have a doctor who is on call 24/7 and the local hospital is a mile away.

Do you work the 12 step program? "I know they have some kind of group sessions 3 times a week. Her caseworker will decide." I look at the remaining processed items from her garbage bags: shoes, hair dryer, cosmetics, pictures in frames, toothbrush, makeup, gum, shampoo, soap, books and magazines, vitamins, cigarettes and about 6 Bic lighters. She can take it all to the room. I think to myself how many places you could hide a 1/2 inch square 8 mg. Suboxone sublingual film. Now I want to throw up. My daughter and the aide disappear through the hallway doors to the left. The woman behind the glass says "now who are you waiting for again?"

It has been 8 years since she was first given Suboxone. This is the first institutional help she has received. She no income and no insurance. Will she embrace this program? Stay tuned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Is your daughter trying to get of Suboxone? Before you brought her in was she abusing other drugs? Is she buying off of the streets of is she getting it from an MD? Does she want to stop or is it something you want her to stop? Sorry for so many questions. Answering some of them may help others understand what you are going through. This place obviously isn't a detox center so hopefully her stay will be long enough learn some recovery skills. You have my thoughts and prayers. I hope this facility will help your daughter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is Living with the Devil's last thread about her daughter: http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4460

It gives more background.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

HI, I just read your first post about your daughter. If you are sure the only medication she is taking is suboxone, I would have to think that your daughter has some kind of physiological problem. I almost think she would be a good canitdate for suboxone maintenance given her history. She does need some kind of 12 step,/addition therapy. Suboxone alone isn't enough. She probable hasn't every been on a very stable dose because of her inability to pay and frequent doctor switching. I pray that your daughter will be able get the resources she needs to become well and also for your well being. You have been through a lot and I hope things will start to become easier for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This situation is heartbreaking. You daughter is obviously in need of help for both her addiction and her psychiatric and grief issues. It sounds like her so-called Sub doctor was just a drug dealer in a white coat. It doesn't sound like she is going to get any individualized care where she is now, either. Despite what you are up against, I would attempt to contact her caseworker and see if she can use the Sub she might have brought in to taper. You can get info on how to do it from the "stopping Suboxone" section here. You will probably have to be the one to educate the caseworker on what Suboxone is and how it needs to be tapered. She really should not being going off of it cold turkey. Hopefully the facility can at least refer her to a psychiatrist. In the meantime, hopefully they will at least get her on a schedule where she can't sleep all day and where she has to interact with other people. Also, maybe it will give you some space to regroup and decide how you are going to handle things once she gets out.
I will pray for her, and you. Hopefully something good will come out of this treatment center.
Try to take care of yourself for a while.
Lilly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It's only been 4 days!! She had an appt. to get Medicaid Insurance to pay for the recovery center she's in. When I picked her up for the 160 mi round trip drive she had normal pupils. Her hands were shaky and she talked like someone kept punching her in the ribs. We stopped to get something to eat but at no time was she ever out of my sight. When I took her back, she reached in the back seat to get the sheets and towels I packed that she asked me to bring. I glanced back and saw what I thought was a blue and white Suboxone wrapper on the seat. I immediately went to that side of the car and by the time I got there she had already snatched up the wrapper and was hiding it her hand. Is that Suboxone you have, I said. What do you mean. I wrestled it from her and she swore she didn't know how it got there. It had been torn open and was empty. I thought when we were driving back to the center that her eyes were getting glassy but I brushed it off that it was the sun. I cannot for the life of me figure out how she got it unless it was hidden in the side panel of the car.

The problem is that this recovery center is very lax about letting their patients out, ie to go AA meetings, Lifestyle meetings, Work One for employment, etc. Her case worker didn't even know what Suboxone was!! She claims every time they return from being gone they are given a urine test and breath test. It's not working.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I guess I wasn't clear either about whether or not you wanted her to stop the suboxone or get on a stable dose. But it sounds like you don't want her taking it any more. I had thought the same as smnell, that she would actually be an excellent candidate for sub, if only she could get stable on it and take it properly. But that's just not the case right now.

Does this rehab have family counseling of any kind? Maybe the subject of suboxone can be brought up in that setting? Does she have a psychiatrist there, too? Obviously due to HIPAA regulations, without a signed release, none of her doctors can give you info on her condition, but that doesn't mean YOU can't give her doctor information that you have about her. If that's what you want to do. I'm just thinking a psychiatrist would actually know about suboxone.

I'm sorry you're still so stressed out over this. I hope during this time period you'll have the opportunity to get some peace and quiet. Please take care of yourself and I also hope that your daughter is on her way to getting the proper help and guidance that she needs.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.