It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hi..

as some of you read i was in the midst of a doctor-changing. well, i found a new doc after some preliminary phone interviews and met with him for my first appointment on wednesday. i had gotten a good feeling about him over the phone the few times we spoke and then also in person. the appointment went well.. better, in fact, than any appointment with any doctor i've ever had! we talked again about the disease model of opiate addiction, dosing, addiction in general, using, being clean, pro's and con's of 12-step-dom, etc. the best part was that i was completely honest with him about the issues i have had with finding a dose that works, how and when i take it, etc, etc. and he took me in, flaws and "doing it my way"-ness issues, and all.
the snafu was at the new rite aid i chose as my primary pharmacy.
i've head all sorts of things from people in recovery about getting treated like slime picking up their suboxone or whatever and always took them with a grain of salt. but i was, in fact, treated like dog's droppings right there in front of everyone and also over the phone, where the pharmacist angrily and condescendingly tried to talk me in circles, when i really just called to see if i needed a "prior authorization" from my doctor for my stupid insurance. that was, in fact, the only reason i dropped the script off before i needed it filled (at the doctor's request). they lied to me and told me they didn't speak to my new doc, then they un-lied and denied they lied. they kept saying as a blanket answer to anything i said or asked : "you said there was a problem. i don't know of any problem. what's the problem? you said there was a problem." etc, etc.
it was rather humiliating. and you better believe i smoked that guy to the morning pharmacist the following day.

i read "the angry pharmacist", and i've seen back in brooklyn when i lived in methadone/painkiller land all kinds of nonsense go on in the pharmacy, including stories, excuses, and all.... i've seen people get their way and a bottle of 60 oxycontin, and i've seen people get denied even for telling the truth. but just because some people all full of crap doesn't mean everyone is, and even if everyone was, it still wouldn't be okay to talk to them like they were 4 year olds.

ugh... i'm stil humiliated. and for real, if he wanted to make me feel like a scumbag addict who is doing something they shouldnt and not getting away with it: it worked. i feel like i did something wrong and got caught. or something. yuck.

anyway, the doc rocks, and that's what's most important. i'm in it for the long haul.

off to work
jp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so sorry John that you had to go through that :cry:
Unfortunately I've had to learn time and time again that not many normies care about or understand addicts. I don't mean to sound overly dramatic but I've had my fair share of telling family members, family docs, etc about what was going on with me thinking they would understand only to have them treat me differently ever since as I'm sure we all have. The important thing I've come to realize is that I know what I'm doing/did and I'm certainly not ashamed of anything I've done since I've gotten clean, maybe a bit embarassed at times but I refuse to let some ass hole who thinks he's better than me decide how I'm going to feel about myself. I'm done feeling bad about myself it gets old really quick and I think you might talk to your doctor about what happened and tell them you're going to change pharmacies. If he prescribes Suboxone I'm sure he's heard his fair share of pharmacist horror stories. I didn't think it could be true either but after having been publicly humiliated more than once so far there's no way in hell I'm going to stay at a pharmacy that takes issue with someone trying to change their life.. I mean god damnit it's hard enough as it is sometimes! If they had a working knowledge of buprenorphine they'd realize literally no one taking it is trying to scam them into anything that is unless someone really gets high off of feeling normal lol ! Ah well just hang in there I'm glad you got along well with your new doc I'm rambling now so I'll shut up.
Matt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That sucks. You should write a letter (or an email) and cc it to the store manager, the pharmacy manager, the corporate office and anyone else you can think of.

I don't know why, but pharmacy seems to attract a fair share of judgemental a-holes. My best friend lives in a smallish town and one local pharmacist wouldn't fill her prescription for Plan B (morning after pill to prevent pregnancy). WTF? And they are protected in their job even when they refuse to do their job, which makes no sense to me, but there you go. I guess he had a "moral objection" to her desire to not get pregnant after the condom broke. Nice, huh? Some pharmacists won't even fill prescriptions for birth-control pills. I wonder if there's some pharmacy school out there where students can take a "Slut-shaming and Junky-shaming" elective or something.

I don't know how well you deal with confontation, but if you're up to it, I would say stand up for yourself next time you see that pharmacist. You don't have to be rude, but you can state your piece. I think it's good for people to hear us defend our basic humanity.

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: on the bright side....
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i don't know if i'm going to switch pharmacies. i know i'm legit and not doing anything shady, so i might just stay there and grin next month when i go in. maybe even show up in a tie just to seal the deal. a friend of the family is a manager there and offered to ream him out and spread the word, but i think just her companionship up to the counter next time would be a big help.

i'm angry that his intimidation and condescension worked on me.... so i'll definitely stand up to his sorry ass next time.

as for confrontation.. i usually suck at it. in this case however i was able to outwardly appear unwavering. but on the inside i feel (still... dammit) humiliated and insecure in the appearance of my actions. (maybe i should have waited to fill the script? was i pushy? does it look like i switched doctors just to get the script?).

ugh! sometimes i hate being an addict.

time for some meditation and relaxation and self assurance.

have a good friday!
hugs
jp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry about your experience. Read mine. It is really sad pharmacists feel the need to belittle people like us, I used to think that maybe I was just being sensitive, but I noticed my pharmacist never treated anyone else the way he treated me, so it wasn't me that was the problem.
If it continues, report them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:56 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Why do they even give a crap? Does it really matter what we take? As long as we're not selling it or dying from it whats the difference?

I went through that too. They never had a problem giving me 180 oxycodone, then they'd flip out about 3 suboxone and raise hell about the prescription. It was humiliating and stupid. Worse than that, I'd only get my sub back then one week at a time, so they didn't like that either.

Gee, what if someone was prescribed suboxone for depression? Would they get the same treatment?

Reminds me of a story of a guy who went to the bank dressed like a bum, and they were rude to him.. So he withdrew his millions of dollars there when they treated him that way!

By the way, The Angry Pharmacist rules! He has a post about Suboxone in his blog, and said that he never really gives it a second thought.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am a new memeber of this forum, and I haven't ben able to stop reading all the posts, but this thread is incredible!! I thought MY experiences getting my suboxone from the pharmacy was because I live in Small-town,USA, or that maybe I was just over-sensitive or downright paranoid. I live in a farming community of 8,000. First mistake I did when first starting my recovery with sub was to go to our local Wal-Mart pharmacy. OMG! I have been on sub since last August, and I can only think of a few times that I didn't have to walk on hot coals, come in disguise or crawl on knees to pick up my script as if I were a "normie" picking up Simvastin.The first few months of getting my scripts filled was pathetically almost comedic in a sad sort of way. The lady pharmacist on my presenting my script for the 1st time..."This drug is just as addicting as all the other meds you have used in the past years on your file. I also want to make you aware of the fact that every pharmacy around the immediate area is aware of your past history, and we have ZERO tolerance for "people" like yourself, manipulating the medical professionals". Say what?? I thought, lady, I just handed you a legit script, and you go off on me in front of people I have lived in this town with all my life? I don't care if every pharmacy now has the 'stand behind the 10 foot privacy line rule", there is nothing as loud and attention-getting as a snotty, condescending pharmacist giving you a public dressing down in front of other people. It was my first experience with this person, so I let it slide. To make a long story a little less long, all I can say is Wal-Mart pharmacists here are 1st class, grade A assholes! After a few months of incredulous experiences, I had enough. A few months ago, when I got my script, I never noticed until after a few days passed, but suddenly realized I must have been only given 30 tabs instead of the prescribed 60. Called up the pharm-mistress..."That is impossible, you must have heard your doctor wrong. I insisted that my hearing was perfectly fine. Then came the inevitable "We have heard every excuse in the book as far as getting more meds on your part. You have no credibility with us. So, then after an interminable bout of finger pointing, passing the buck and and making me feel and look like a lying sack of worthless shit,they discovered that another pharmacist had only given me a partial fill, because they did not have enough to make the 60 count. I supposed it would have been a good idea to make me aware of that fact? The last encounter I had a few months ago was the end. She flat out refused to fill it, (it was one day before the day I ran out, and the next day they were closed..Sunday)and after my doc had called her, it was still a no-go. My doc even e-mailed me and told me the content of the conversation he had with her on the phone. He said she even had him thinking he was a bad doctor!! Having never been a shrinking violet when my Irish temper was disturbed, we had a personal,verbal confrontation that afternoon. It ended up with me contacting Wal-Mart Corporate Headquarters in Bentonville, Arkansas, speaking directly to the rep for the pharmacies nationwide. Within 2 hours, I got a call back from a pharmacist/supervisor for my part of the USA. Then, more follow up calls. This bitch pharmacist must have gotten talked to about what happened, because now when I go in, she is nauseatingly helpful and polite. :wink: But, the last time I picked up my sub, there was a different pharmacist working who gave me the usual consultation when you pick up any script. It went like this.."Here's your prescription for the suboxone. You know the drill." Then rudely made a face, turned and walked away! I guess I am rambling but venting about these so-called professional people makes me feel much better!!! I guess I just cannot comprehend how so many pharmacist can be either so ignorant about suboxone and what it does for people trying to recover, or just how damn snotty,judgmental, and condescending they can be!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK- Here is what you need to do-

Contact the pharmacy board in your state online.Find out who you dealt with at your pharmacy,by name and make a formal complaint. YOU DO NOT DESERVE THAT!! I don't care what you did in the past, or what they feel about Suboxone personally, you need to make them accountable for the discrimination. Get your doctor to sign off on it too. I wanna spit on people like that, ignorant assholes! Sorry,I get emotional about this stuff!

Post subject: thank goodness!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am so relieved that someone responded to my post. I always worry that when I DO post, I give too much info, or make it too long and boring, or that maybe am just over-reacting to the situation. :evil: Even my husband says I have always been super-sensitive, but dammit, I know that those "looks" and the attitude you get from some of these pharmacists or pharm techs are not my imagination. I did have a follow-up call from a Wal-mart Pharmacist/Regional manager. He told me that the matter had been taken care of. My husband has a part-time job at this same Wal-mart store and has asked me to just drop the subject, because he doesn't want to get shit at work. I'm just really sick of how recovering people get treated by this genre of medical experts. For me, fighting my addiction is a life and death matter for me, and I take that very seriously. I have an almost 40 year history of narcotic abuse!! I need to be able to get the prescription I need to keep in remission. I do believe had I not found out about Suboxone, I would be dead today! I have had to work very hard just to accept the facts as my doctor presented to me...that suboxone is NOT substituting one drug for another. Why are my needs so different than that of the cancer patient, or the people who have to stay on a course of prescribed medication to treat a chronic condition such as hypertension or diabetes? If someone comes in for their insulin, do they stand back there behind their little counter, peering over it while smirking and whispering? Sometimes I feel like a damn freakshow from the circus!!Thanks again, shelwoy! I get emotional about this, too, and it helps to know that I am not alone! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Cowgirl,

How are you doing? I'm in Wisconsin too :)

I saw the post above about filing a complaint. Here is a link to do so in Wisconsin:

http://drl.wi.gov/dept/complaint.htm

No human being should be treated the way you were. I was treated rudely by Aurora pharmacy in Kenosha when I was inducted on Suboxone. They gave me a crapload of grief for a 3 tablet suboxone prescription, but they would happily fill the 180 oxycodone over and over no questions asked. Isn't that weird?

Anyway, good luck with the complaint. I really hope they do something about it. Remember, they have security cameras there and there may even be a recording of your 'consultation'.

Jim

Post subject: thanks!!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:43 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I live in New London, where you have to go to the pharmacies here if you don't want to drive to Appleton or Green Bay. And the ones here are run by top-notch assholes!!Monday I am going to call my insurance company. I have United Health, and they offer a mail service where you can get 3 months of your script mailed right to your house. I don't know if there would be regulations about sending bupe through the mail, but I will find out. I know what you mean about getting other narcotic scripts filled and thye never acted half as bad. There is only one pharmacy tech that works there that is nice to me, because she has known me a long time, and also knows about my past struggles with addiction. She said she supports what I am doing, so I try to go there when I know she is working. I just don't understand why these people who are rigorously schooled in the properties of drugs, don't understand how bupe is different from the fentanyl, hydrocodone, and oxycodone I was shoveling in. It comes down to them being prejudiced against "our kind" of people with our kind of chronic, potentially fatal disease. They should know better, but either they are too ignorant, or just bigoted.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I would not mind if someone or a few people could reply to this as well, as this is something I am not sure the pharmacy is allowed to do etc. I recently went to WalMart to have my prescription for Subutex filled. And when I handed my prescription over to the pharmacist he told me very quickly that they "choose" not to carry Suboxone or Subutex at their pharmacy. And that I could easily go and pick it up at another Walmart which there is two in about a 20 minute ride from that Walmart in either direction East or West from there (Whitehouse NJ or Clinton NJ) But the Flemington Walmart where I first decided to have it filled since I live here told me they chose not to carry that type of medication. I asked him what he meant by that, and was given no explanation but handed the pharmacy managers card and told I could call her/he did not have time to be wasting with me. I am confused as to whether pharmacist can just up and do that? Can they choose what they carry even know it is a chain and all of the other WalMarts carry it??? I also asked him just to see if they could fill scripts for methadone, oxycontin, or fentanyl... He replied that that he believed he had all of those in stock currently. It was strange to me but mostly I chalked it up to ignorance of the drug. And the fact that yes people do abuse it no matter how angry it gets those of us who take it as prescribed to hold on to our lives and once again make them better. But not only did I feel ashamed I once again had to feel like a junky :oops: ... I have been on the medication for quite some time and my doctor was rx'ing me 3 month scripts so it was a great deal cheaper through my insurance before I am now in the "donut hole". That also is something my doctor told me he can no longer do for any of his patients as he was actually contacted by the DEA regarding that specific issue. It amazes me that drugs that are steadily abused like Oxycontin or Roxys or Dilaudid etc, I can easily get a 3 month supply of and the DEA does not concern themselves with that. Or that the Flemington NJ Walmart will not carry Subutex but other straight high powered agonist opiates they will. Is it allowed for the pharmacy manager to pick and choose what they carry? Or is that something that corporate would be handling? Cause this is something I most certainly will follow up on, and make sure they carry the drug if by law they are supposed to. I am not knowledgeable at all when it comes to that issue. And I was also with someone from the program when I went to pick it up. He is a good friend of mine, familiar with the drug and the fact that I am on it. But I imagine if I was standing in his shoes and watched me get turned away because it is big bad Subutex, my opinion on the drug might just change right there and then. This happened last Thursday, if anyone can give me any advice or knows anything about this I would greatly appreciate it. I also have the pharmacy managers phone number. I have not called her yet because I wanted to learn more on the subject first. Any info. is grately appreciated!!! -Thank You -Nick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:40 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Nick,

That situation just sucks! Sounds like a bunch of ignorant, judgmental people to me. As for if they're allowed to do it, I honestly don't know. I would definitely call the manager and get her side of it, but then I would call their corporate office and see what their policy is. I'm so sorry that happened to you and that they made you feel ashamed all over again. It's not as though we don't already have our own shame associated with our addiction. If I were you I would follow-up with it, if only to try to prevent them doing something like that to the next person.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:44 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Hey DJ (your name is MUCH too long for me to use the whole thing.... :lol: )

In general, pharmacies ARE allowed to pick and choose what they carry and despense. Many pharmacies, for example, don't carry Plan B (morning after pill), and some don't even carry birth control pills. Additionally, some pharmacies don't carry certain narcotics...a good example of this is the codeine/phenergren (sp?), cough syrup combo that is used to make "syrup"...which I'm sure is spelled in a much cooler fashion than that. There have been A LOT of pharmacy robberies to steal this drug (especially in my home town), so many pharmacies don't carry it anymore.

I was surprised that this is a WalMart....given their business practices, I am surprised that they don't dictate what their pharmacists have to carry in order to assure the highest profit margin possible. You can try to contact the corporate office....they may be interested in this (especially since you are a cash patient....money, money, money). While it's not illegal, it is a stupid business decision.

It is also an annoying, ignorant, and obnoxious policy (imho). I agree with you....why carry some narcotics (which have legitimate uses, and a potential for abuse) and not Sub (which has legitimate uses, and a SMALL potential for abuse). I don't have the numbers, but I'm willing to bet that more people abuse and sell their full agonist scripts than do the same with their sub scripts....so if that is their rationale, it is a bad one.

I love that this pharmacist will sell you oxy, but not sub......he sounds like my old dealers. :wink:

BTW....glad you liked my quote....there is an NA group in my area called "hugs not drugs" (gag....I like NA, but I hate that slogan). That's how it came to me.
Elizabeth

Subs Not Drugs!!!

"Don't hope for a life without problems. An easy life results in a judgmental and lazy mind."
- Zen Master Kyong Ho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It looks like you've pulled out a post from close to a year ago. As to your question, I have never heard of any law that forces or requires a business to carry certain types of products. Would that even make sense? Wal Mart, as a private company (by private I mean non-government) can pick and chose the products that they want to offer to their customers. Now, this might be an internal issue within the company itself. This specific store may or may not be violating Wal Mart policies. But beyond that, they don't have to carry anything that they don't want to carry. And as consumers, we don't have to shop at that store or chain. At least that’s how free enterprise used to work – prior to the government sticking their nose in where it doesn’t belong. (But that’s an entirely different topic). Now, I agree this is a stupid business decision on their part. Very stupid. But, it is their right to make stupid business decisions - it's done everyday. Personally, I would not shop there for anything else because of this decision. But, again, it's their's to make.

I also wanted to say that I have yet to run into any of the problems that others seem to have with "attitudes" when picking up my Suboxone. I have had it filled at a variety of locations (usually looking for the best price). While a few have alerted me to the cost, they all seem like they could care less about the specific medication. My last re-fill was about a week ago. The twenty-something behind the counter told me how much my co-pay was and called out "this is a refill" to the pharmacist who glanced at the drug name and asked me if I had any questions. I paid the bill and was on my way. No comments, no looks, no overhead pages on the PA altering those in the store that a drug addict was in their midst. Frankly, with the hundreds/thousands of scripts these folks fill everyday, I really doubt they have time nor care about what I'm taking. Besides, I'm only taking Suboxone. I could be picking up medication for lice, crabs, MRSA infection, erection problems, mental illness, or any hundred other "sensitive" things.

I really have to wonder if the person that cares the most about what we are taking is the actual person taking it - and not the people behind the counter. That's just my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I go to the same pharmacy for my suboxone every time I get it. Since my insurance covers it, the co-pay is always the same, so I just go to the same place each time, makes it easier for me.....

As for ignorant and judgmental pharmacists, I really don't give a flying fawk what anyone thinks about the medication I take. If they have a problem with it, well, I guess they have a problem then. NOT my problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:47 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have been very fortunate not to have experienced what most of the previous posters have. Don't let it affect you or the way you feel about what you are doing. Hold your head high and just go somewhere else! The person in the white coat behind the counter is human and holds their own judgements and prejudices. Although they shouldn't let them show, I think it certainly may happen.

I want to give credit where credit is due however. I go to a pharmacy where I have always been treated professionally, even when I wanted to fill a partial prescription which I'm sure is a pain in the you know what. They have done so with a smile and have always gone above and beyond to find my suboxone on the few occasions when they are out. Hopefully you can find one like mine.

*Christopher Robin to Pooh