It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:02 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Posts show that it is better to have 1 daily dose rather than several in order to train the brain to not rely on drugs, or maybe to train the brain to not have to always be thinking about our next dose, but instead to forget about our doses while we taper.

So-- in this sense it is better to do only 1 dose per day.

But -- besides that benefit, IS there a difference?? If the drug is prescribed multiple times daily to people with pain, then it is assumed that the drug starts to wear off after a few hours. Although, since it has a long half-life then it is assumed that it does not wear off for a couple days. But if that were the case then why aren't pain patients dosed only once per day?

I just want to know because sometimes I forget that it's time for my next dose, implying that the medicine lasts a long time, but other days it feels like my body is suffering because it is time for my next dose, implying that it is not as strong after a few hours. But if I took it all at the same time, would it rid of these feelings? (Also it could be secondary symptoms that are unrelated to suboxone but are symptoms that are simply rid by suboxone--- or it is psychological). Would one dose last me through the day?

Is there really a difference in taking suboxone once a day or split up into multiple doses per day?

(The reason I want to know is because my doses are getting so tiny that it would be more convenient and easier to measure if I just took it all at once, only one time per day)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 3:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It is true that once per day dosing is recommended while on sub for maintenance, for the reasons you stated. But when you are tapering, it could be more beneficial to dose multiple times per day because some of sub's properties only last a few hours, instead of the 37 hour half life that is usually referred to.

Check out this thread:

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4234

It is mostly about dosing for pain, but it could help explain why, sometimes, such as when tapering, it is best to dose more than once per day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 4:16 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I agree that dosing twice a day helped me taper when I got below 1mg. It also helped me taper because I could skip my morning dose when it came time to taper to a lower amount. I think when you get to such a small amount, like .25mgs or .50mgs the dosing is so small that dosing once a day didnt work for me. Maybe its a mental thing but dosing twicea day helped me to quit.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You are right that under normal circumstances, dosing above the ceiling for addiction purposes - once daily dosing is best. The mean half life of about 37 hours applies in that situation.

Suboxone's pain properties, however, don't last the full 37 average hours. When it comes to treating pain, it only last between 4-6 hours, so pain patients have to dose more often.

When tapering and getting to low doses, say 2 mg and under, the half life also doesn't apply. It's under the ceiling and there isn't enough. So twice daily dosing is often used during that process of tapering. Of course those who do that will have to cut that second dose out eventually and should consider that as well.

I hope this helps in addition to the other posts above.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.