It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:59 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Bare with me I'm new to this forum, though been reading for years.
- Has anyone else experienced this recently?
I've been using this CVS pharmacy in NY for 8-10yrs.. suddenly their telling me they hold patients to the day now on partial fills?!
Ex- if I get a script for 28days, but out of affordability/no insurance I have to get it in partial fills; I go fill 10days worth and they make me wait till day 11 before I can get my next partial fills!
This has only been "policy" since January and if CVS wasn't the cheapest I could find Generic Bup I'd have gone elsewhere,..
my doctor told me that CVS corporate sent out a letter to them that they'd "prefer to no longer deal with suboxone/zubsolv patients and to ask them to please fill scripts somewhere else"
-Do they have the right to do any of this?!
I talked to 5 other local chain pharmacys who all told me "it's my script and I can come in as often as necessary until the full 28 day supply has been purchased".
CVS corporate even told me they can't speak for their pharmacists but as far as they are aware I can fill it any time as many partials necessary but can only fill a NEW 28 day script 2 days early with a prior authorization...
Sooo frustrating, I've been a model 10yr customer of this CVS n now the new pharmacists have been treating me like a junky and costing me more time and money in special trips to refill...I'd like to boycott or officially complain to CVS but didn't get farther then corporate saying "we've documented and sent your complaint"
Thanks for any insight

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:32 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Do you ever get the feeling that these pharmacists think that anyone needing treatment has done it all to themselves? Take me for example - Most of the time I was using pain medicine was because I was in pain. It got out of control because none of my doctors would treat my condition, so I took it into my own hands. When you have the kind of migraines every week that make you question whether or not you want to live, you'll do anything for relief.

I can't tell you how disheartening it is to have a list of doctors tell you there's nothing they can do for you. Only one of those doctors treated my pain with narcotic pain relievers, and it was for only 3 days... 3 days when I was having these headaches 3 times a week every week off and on for the last 15 + years. I wish they would walk in my shoes for a while and see what it's like.

What I did was illegal... period. But I did what I had to do to survive. Somewhere along the way I found out that pain meds helped the crushing depression and anxiety too. Again, it was illegal to take them without my own script, but I was in survival mode a lot of that time. I found out the hard way that self-medicating without the help from a doctor can be dangerous. A small habit can quickly become all-consuming, and after the drugs get their hooks into you, there's only a few ways out... death, prison, or subs (methadone just isn't right for me)... I chose subs this time.

But that's just me. What about the people that get addicted to these powerful narcotics after an injury or cancer treatments. What about them? Shouldn't they be given every possible tool to help them get their lives back? Not refilling someone's Suboxone is as serious as not filling someone's heart medication or insulin for their diabetes. This is life and death every day when you're an addict. These pharmacists are a lifeline to so many people suffering and they need to act responsibly.

The decision to take a medication should be between a doctor and a patient. If the script is legitimate, the pharmacist should fill it with no questions asked, and certainly no shaming patients due to a perceived character flaw... they have no right to make such a determination without knowing the patient's entire medical history. And even then they should still keep their mouths shut, in my opinion.

- OM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:12 am 

Since I pay cash too, I get partial refills every single month. This month I actually had to split it up to 3 different refills because I didn't have as much money left over from my doctor visit as I usually do. I got 7 then 11 then 10. My pharmacy let me do that all within 2 weeks. It bothers me to leave my medicine in the pharmacy, I don't know why but I hate leaving it in there partially, so I keep going bk as quickly as possible to get my full script home with me safe and sound lol. Thankfully my pharmacy doesn't care about that, but it's definitely not CVS. That makes me mad that they told ur doctor that.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:48 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

jennjenn wrote:
Since I pay cash too, I get partial refills every single month. This month I actually had to split it up to 3 different refills because I didn't have as much money left over from my doctor visit as I usually do. I got 7 then 11 then 10. My pharmacy let me do that all within 2 weeks. It bothers me to leave my medicine in the pharmacy, I don't know why but I hate leaving it in there partially, so I keep going bk as quickly as possible to get my full script home with me safe and sound lol. Thankfully my pharmacy doesn't care about that, but it's definitely not CVS. That makes me mad that they told ur doctor that.

i'm just the opposite! i had my script for a day short of a month before i took it to the pharmacy, then it sat filled for a week on the floor of the pharmacy! (because of my last name there isn't room on the shelves)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:52 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

DizChitSux wrote:
Bare with me I'm new to this forum, though been reading for years.
- Has anyone else experienced this recently?
I've been using this CVS pharmacy in NY for 8-10yrs.. suddenly their telling me they hold patients to the day now on partial fills?!
Ex- if I get a script for 28days, but out of affordability/no insurance I have to get it in partial fills; I go fill 10days worth and they make me wait till day 11 before I can get my next partial fills!
This has only been "policy" since January and if CVS wasn't the cheapest I could find Generic Bup I'd have gone elsewhere,..
my doctor told me that CVS corporate sent out a letter to them that they'd "prefer to no longer deal with suboxone/zubsolv patients and to ask them to please fill scripts somewhere else"
-Do they have the right to do any of this?!
I talked to 5 other local chain pharmacys who all told me "it's my script and I can come in as often as necessary until the full 28 day supply has been purchased".
CVS corporate even told me they can't speak for their pharmacists but as far as they are aware I can fill it any time as many partials necessary but can only fill a NEW 28 day script 2 days early with a prior authorization...
Sooo frustrating, I've been a model 10yr customer of this CVS n now the new pharmacists have been treating me like a junky and costing me more time and money in special trips to refill...I'd like to boycott or officially complain to CVS but didn't get farther then corporate saying "we've documented and sent your complaint"
Thanks for any insight

wow that sucks. can you ask for a copy of that letter cvs sent? i would LOVE to plaster it all of the addiction community :) !
yes, pharmacists can refuse to fill any scripts, which i don't believe it right. you can complain to your states pharmacy board. and please contact more people at headquarters. find out who the regional manager is for that CVS. just call and ask for their contact info.
as i approach it, addiction is a disease/disability and they are denying a disabled person the medication they need. if they do have new policies, it would be nice if they grandfathered in existing customers!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:52 pm 

It's ridiculous that a pharmacist would hold out for a specific day when you are given a prescription to get the entire amount at one time if you could afford it! If you would be able to get 30 pills on day one, you should be able to get the rest of the script at any point in time as long as you pay for it. My local Walgreens would NEVER hold my medication up like that. I have a good relationship with my pharmacist, but I think they would treat me the same way even if the pharmacist and I were not on a first name basis.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:46 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I’m going through the same thing but with Walgreens. I have no insurance and so it’s pretty damn expensive. Typically I just make sure I save my money and then but the entire script. This time I wanted to take my family out for dinner the same night so I said, hey can I just fill half right now and the other half later? Sure they say! Oh wow great.... app days later I go to pick up the other half and get told that I’m filling too early. I have to wait for another 5-6 Days. I didn’t understand because my last pharmacy had done this with me and would allow me to purchase what I needed when I needed it. I agree with jennjenn. Part of the reason I like to pick up a partial when I choose is because many times they don’t have it in stock. Have gone thru a few days at a time where I had to wait. Or, had to call a bunch of pharmacies searching around for the generic version. My family and bf understands and is supportive of my treatment. I’ve been on this med for over 5 years anyways. But having to call around and make a big deal of it is also embarrassing for me personally.

The only thing I’ve noitced is that maybe the pharmacies in the city have this rule where as some in more suburban areas don’t... Then I got kind of freaked out because I’d read that notes can be put under your name or you’re flagged for being.. idk... demanding or suspicious. Probably a better way to describe what I’m trying to say there but I think you guys know what I mean. So I gave up and just ok... I’ll wait until the EXACT day I’m due for my “refill”. I won’t be returning to Walgreens for this reason and a few others. But the biggest reason is because the generic they provide gives me really bad stomach issues so I’ll have to go somewhere else. Oh, also had a Walgreens pharmacist tell me she knew my family from high school and college. Then right as she handed me my prescription said “You just keep it up, I’m proud of you for doing what you’re doing.” Yep, a bunch of people standing behind me. Hmmmm proud of her? Geee I wonder why. Sooooooo embarrassing. That lady pharmacist was very kind but that was totally inappropriate. Had a bad taste in my mouth from Walgreens since that interaction.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:54 pm 

If she wanted to give you kudos, which is nice, she should call you over to one of the private cubbies that they have for consultation. I would be annoyed to if I were private about my medication.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:34 am 

Hey Jane!

One thing I've noticed is different pharmacists do things a little different at times. I go to the same pharmacy as the day of my induction almost 6 years ago and I've noticed some have little differences (nothing major, I love my pharmacy).

When ur paying cash it can get difficult. Sometimes u may be a little short on money, especially after paying a hefty clinic bill every month, so when it comes to getting our medication we may have to do it partially...... I do partially every month. I take $450 dollars with me every month of my appointment and when I get to the pharmacy, I only have enough left to get half my medicine. I couldn't handle a pharmacy giving me a hard time on when I can pick up the remaining half, I worry about leaving it in there for some reason. I understand that they have rules but if one pharmacist can but another won't then it makes ya wonder if the one that won't is just giving us a hard time.

Thankfully the only issue I've ever had picking up my remaining medication is a couple times they told me the coupon was too early to go through (even though most of the time I pick it up 1 week after my initial fill and it's never not covered it before). They don't ever say anything about not being able to get it until 2 weeks exactly. I've personally never understood why it would be a problem to get the medication whenever we want to if it's a script for a months worth anyway. If we had had the money to fill it all the first day we would have been able to walk away with the whole script. It's confusing but I know exactly what ur saying Jane.

My advice to u would be, keep searching for a pharmacy that ur comfortable with. A pharmacist that doesn't seem judgmental and is willing to talk with u if u need to or doesn't act like they're too busy to look up at ya is ideal lol. Someone u trust and ur not stressed out or worried about something happening, we tend to worry a lot about something going wrong.