It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My boyfriend is gettin his license back and is wondering if you can get a DUI on suboxone? I am trying to get going on the program but have no insurance. sad to say but i have been looking for someone with insurance to go for me. The person I asked is afraid that if they ever need any pain meds they wont get them. does a red flag go up at pharmacies or other doctors offices after getting suboxone prescriptions? Or is it also under the hepa law. I live in Ohio. So if anyone know about any of this could they please tell me
:oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If a person gets a prescription for suboxone it will most likely show up in a state database. And if Ohio doesn't have one (I honestly don't know if they do), pharmacies can always share information with doctors in order to provide health care. Plus there's the notion that being treated for addiction is sometimes construed as a preexisting condition. That could affect your friend negatively for a really long time. Getting suboxone under another person's name is just not a good idea - for either of you. You need your own doctor to treat YOU.

With that said, there is a way for you to get into sub treatment. Reckitt-Benckiser, Suboxone's manufacturer has a patient assistance program. It's for uninsured patients and it pays for one year of medication - free to the patient. You'd still be responsible for the doctor's visit though. Doctors are allowed to have up to 3 patients on the assistance program, so you'll just need to find one that has an open slot.

At the very top of this page, toward the left side, you'll see an area to click on that says "find a certified physician". That's one of the online suboxone doctor locators that you can use to find a doctor in your area.

I wish you the very best and hope you can get treatment very soon. Let us know if you have more questions.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: all filled up
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

every doctor i have called already have there three patient limit. I have already called and have got my application coming in the mail. so who knows how long the wait list will be i hope it is soooo soooon

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:26 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I would imagine the answer to the original question is "no". A cop would need probable cause to even suspect the driver is impaired before asking for any sort of blood test. Suboxone doesn't cause a positive on any of the standard tests.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:59 am 
Im confused by that question a bit. Suboxone does not impair you?? Thats odd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:33 am 
Ok so maybe and i mean just maybe you feel slightly altered the first couple days after you start taking it but, by absolutely no means does it impair you. I guess i should say, im speaking from my own experience. Did someone tell you it impairs you or have you experienced impairment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:57 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Your comment gets to the heart of a major misconception about ORT: that patients are somehow impaired by the medication they are on. Then, even if some accept that ORT is a valid form of treatment, they want to say that some certain dosage level is "too much". Opiates aren't like alcohol, in the sense that certain blood levels are, by definition, "impaired".

Post subject: not impaired
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am not getting impaired but the last time i lost my license was for dui and i wasnt even drinking. I wasnt even high at all I had been driving for about 16 hours straight and went left of center a little. and when i say a little i dont even think i did.The person with me was drinking and the smell was coming from them. To say the least i did have cocaine in my system so i denied the test. I didnt want to have a possesion charge on me. But usually cops dont give you the benifit of the doubt when it comes to prior dui. I was just wondering about it because cops usually just assume from the get go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You can not be charged with "possession" for having drugs in your system. At least I have never heard of such a thing. Possession is the act of "possessing" or in other words having on your person or under your control a controlled substance, stollen property, or whatever. You could certainly be charged with being under the influence of cocaine but certainly not in possession of it just for having a positive blood test. Perhaps that's what you mean. If not, I just wanted to clear that up.

The whole DUI thing and Suboxone is actually very interesting to me. I have not ever been able to find a charge like this but fear it’s only a matter of time. Our legal system has really gotten out of whack (along with the rest of our country and government) and I really fear it’s only a matter of time until some over zelous DA somewhere decides to charge someone with driving under the influence after they are involved in a car accident and test positive for Suboxone. It just seems like that’s where our world is headed. Just my thoughts.

Post subject: possesion
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

in fact in the state of ohio if you test possitive for any drug you can be charged with possesion beleive it or not it is bull. if i were to smoke a joint two days ago. get pulled over and they test me and it is in my system they can charge me with possession. CRAZY I know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Don, I agree with you. It's also occurred to me that the scenario you describe could very well happen some day. Does anyone know what kind of drug testing the police departments generally use? Would suboxone even show up? It is indeed a scary thought.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.