It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Currently in Colombia
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:30 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am in working in Colombia currently and I am a USA citizen. I take multiple medications which one happens too be suboxone. I know it is legal here as long as I have a prescription in the US, which I do. However, since I am on a contract I can't really afford to pay hundreds of $ to return home for 1 day then leave again to just get it. I have never had a problem traveling in and around Colombia with it nor any of my other meds. Is it legal to have it shipped here? If so what would be the best method so it doesn't go "missing"? Has anyone tried shipping their medications from the USA to Colombia before? If so how did it work? I would of course have them unopened in the box with my name and everything on each prescription.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome TravelingnRecovering!

I'd call your US Embassy and ask is it possible to have the med shipped. Perhaps also ask if any local Drs will prescribe it. they might want a letter or some records faxed from your Dr. We had another poster that lives in the USA 7 mos and in bogata 5 mos and was going to check w his pharmacist to get bup there.

Will your pharmacy agree to ship to Colombia? Some won't ship at all or ship across state lines let alone out of country.

A quick search:
USPS site is silent if shipping controlled meds internationally is allowed. Domestically it is w restrictions
UPS No overseas guidelines listed. said to call
FedEx international states shipping medications is prohibited and says Columbia prohibits it. http://crossborder.fedex.com/us/assets/ ... ndex.shtml
DHL?

Maybe illegal - for someone else to pick up the script and ship. My friend just mailed an international letter via DHL and was required to fill out a customs document and provide full return and recipient address. A content description must be listed. I guess listing 'medication' will not allow it to ship. But say its listed as 'cosmetics' or 'stationary' and customs opens, checks and contents do not match the listed description, likely will be confiscated?

Sorry this is so hard. Ya, I'd call the US Embassy. Maybe others will come along w more, Pel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:01 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

TravelingnRecovering - Here's a link from usps.com that addresses your concern: https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_019.htm

" 453.3 Mailability
453.31 Controlled Substances

If the distribution of a controlled substance is unlawful under 21 U.S.C. 801–971 or any implementing regulation in 21 CFR Chapter II, then the mailing of the substance is also unlawful under 18 U.S.C. 1716.

Controlled substances and drugs that contain controlled substances are acceptable in the domestic mail only under the following conditions:

For mailable controlled substances, generally both the mailer and addressee must meet either of the following conditions:
Be registered with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).
Be exempted from DEA registration, such as military, civil defense, and law enforcement personnel, in performing official duties.
For mail-back programs conducted in accordance with 453.7.
For prescription medicines containing mailable narcotic drugs (controlled substances), when mailed by drug manufacturers or their registered agents, pharmacies, medical practitioners, or other authorized dispensers as permitted by 21 CFR 1307.11 or in compliance with any regulation of the Food and Drug Administration or other applicable law.

453.32 Drugs (Other Than Controlled Substances)

All prescription, nonprescription, and patent medicines and related items, including solicited and unsolicited samples of such items, that are not considered to be controlled substances under 453.11, are permitted to be mailed as follows:

For prescription medicines containing a nonnarcotic drug(s), only a pharmacist or medical practitioner, etc., who dispenses the medicine may mail such substances to the patients under their care.
For nonprescription medicines, the mailer must meet all applicable federal, state, or local laws that may apply (such as the Poison Prevention Packaging Act of 1970 in 15 U.S.C. 1471(2) and the Consumer Product Safety Commission requirements in 16 CFR 1700)."

In general, I think only a pharmacist or medical practitioner who dispenses the medicine is allowed to mail it. And I'm pretty sure this relates to domestic mail as well as international. But it can be confusing so I would suggest that you call and double check with the service you would like to use. You don't want to run into any legal problems with narcotics in Colombia. Attitudes and penalties can be harsh down there and the risk of your medicine being seized is a real possibility if you're not following the law to the letter. Good luck, and please let us know how it works out. It would be good information to have documented here for others to find.

- OM