It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: cravings
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:06 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Happy Friday to everyone,
I wanted to start a thread, to maybe benefit myself and others, to get others tips and ideas on how to deal with cravings both during and after suboxone. For me, I detoxed from suboxone 7 months ago (tomorrow will be exactly 7 months) and in the beginning the cravings weren't bad. However, after a few short slip ups and having to get myself back on track I've had a harder time with cravings. I've luckily been able to keep pushing forward, but it hasn't been easy. Its those dag on "just for today" thoughts that get in my head and "you won't go into withdrawal after 1-2 days use" thoughts that kill me. And they come OUT OF NOWHERE, holy cow.. I will be sitting at the office, feeling great no problems and BAM, here they are. I have tried the "just for today" theory and at least for me, I can't handle it. I always want more and I'm starting to realize more and more that I will never be able to casually use. So anyways, feel free to add any tricks that work for you, what you've done to stay clean on/off suboxone, and what you do when the cravings come to help them to pass. I'd love to get anybody's input and suggestions.

Post subject: Re: cravings
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:19 pm 

Hello :) I don't have any suggestions but I wanted to post and tell ya that I know exactly what u mean about cravings. I know ur off subs now and totally congrats on that!! I am not, been on em for almost three yrs. The reason I couldn't stay clean before subs was because of cravings. I went to rehab, came out and stayed clean for six months. But the cravings were so bad I finally relapsed. Out of that whole six months, I had four days I can say that I had no intense cravings. The rest of the time was complete misery. I'm talking huge gut wrenching cravings that consumed me. That's why subs are my miracle, i tried everything. Even now though in the evening ever now and then, I still get em. I don't know what to do to make it go away. They aren't like they were before subs but I still have them sometimes. I always thought maybe something was wrong with me after all this time having such bad cravings can't be normal. When it happens, I pray, I pace bk and forth, I try to distract myself but nothing works. I think that's why I'm so happy on subs because it really does help me...but sometimes they still creep in. Just wanted u to know that ur not alone with cravings. If I didn't have subs I'd had already relapsed. Do u think ur better off being off subs? It seems like ur struggling with this and I know how intense it can be. I wish I could help but I thought it may make u feel a tiny bit better knowing ur not alone.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:05 pm 

Hey Quiet,
In 4 years ive had zero cravings for Opiates. Im I lucky? Ya i guess i am.
I also at the start of recovery became involved in support
groups like na and a sub group too.
I had to be accountable to others and they to me.
Trying to stay clean alone as ive seen is damn near impossible.
Are you working some kind of program? Doesnt have to be na.
Could be something else. Relapse prevention maybe.
The thing is as opiate addicts the chance of relapse is always
going to be high and more so i think in early recovery and alone.
Cravings without sub i can not even imagine. Id use. Im sure of it.
I d love to be drug "free", someday, maybe. Ive read here on this forum
and over at Doc s Talkzone that we really only have 3 choises in this.
Bupe,use, or fellowship recovery an meetings. Doesnt seem to be a forth. This dosent
mean an addict cant be clean for a time, but this is for a lifetime.

When i feel the need to maybe use say alcohol i think back to where it could take me.
I use Fear as a motivation not to use. Nothing wroug with that.
Not sure any of this is helpful but this is how ive kept cravings a bay. We are all
different but we are all the same too..

Keep posting Quiet and hang in there...

Razor55

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:38 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been totally craving-free through my Subs taper and through 5 months since my jump.

I'm convinced that the 12 step program is working for me, not the meetings (which I mostly like), but doing the actual step work. Read page 20 of the Big Book, which you can find online. If you're a 'moderate' or 'heavy' user, then you can control your cravings through will power. But if you're a real addict, like me, then you're f*cked; will power isn't strong enough, and the cravings always win out.

We get those constant feelings of 'restlessness, irritability and discontent,' which lead us straight back to the drug. The 12 steps are about finding a way to live where feelings of restlessness, irritability and discontent are replaced by peace and happiness.

It's really not a perfect as I'm making it sound, but it works better than an addict can hope to believe. And I've been totally craving free, even through the worst mental days right after my jump.

-- ji

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:48 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks guys for the encouragement. Jennjenn I don't think its better to get off sub but me, it was my DOC. I couldn't control my use, used it to get high (of course that was short lived) and was consumed by it. If I could take it properly and not hide it then I'd probably stay on it at least a bit longer. I feel good though, just the darn cravings. Razor, I'm not even sure where to look for meetings. I've been tossing around the idea of going to meetings although I felt I didn't need them a few months ago, turned out I was wrong and im never wrong, just ask my wife. How can I locate meetings and are they pretty discreet?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:00 pm 

Hey Q,
You seem like a good dude and i 'd hate to see you go back down the rabbit hole.
This is why i think alittle more recovery work could help you.

Meetings, well, there are two fellowships as you know. Also
some on line types as well.
If you are in a fairly large city, meetings are everywhere and can be found in the local newspaper.
Na and aa.
The programs are the same 12 steps, but are also completely different imo.
The best advice i can give you is to check as Many as possible, and several times.
Give each meeting you attend a chace or two and listen to others as they shair
there experiences. Maybe something will interest you.

After awhile you wil see if you want to work the program. Sitting in meetings in the back
is not working a program. Talking and getting to know others and finding help and support, helping others
and getting outside yourself is how it works.

If you indeed want to stay off Suboxone the folks at NA will be more thsn happy
to help you. Most members do not like sub, nor believe it is a good way to recover

I know this though personal experience. .I no louger attend na at this time because of drt..

Its great that you have recognized the need for more help. White knuckling it only works for a short time. Sounds to me
you may be getting close to that time.

So, Quiet i hope you look into some of fellowships in your area and see if it can work for you.
I learned so much there. Made some friends when i was there, but alas after i stop going
i just dont hear from sny of them. Hmmm...

Est of luckQ..

Razor R...

Oh and you can also look on line at the na/aa sites for a meeting near you...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi QA, if you PM me, i'll help you find a meeting in your area. I can check around and find out what's worthwhile in your area.

If you live somewhere remote, there are online meetings, as well as sponsors will to work with sponsees via Skype of Google Chat. I've heard of people getting good results this way.

-- ji

Quietaddict wrote:
Thanks guys for the encouragement. Jennjenn I don't think its better to get off sub but me, it was my DOC. I couldn't control my use, used it to get high (of course that was short lived) and was consumed by it. If I could take it properly and not hide it then I'd probably stay on it at least a bit longer. I feel good though, just the darn cravings. Razor, I'm not even sure where to look for meetings. I've been tossing around the idea of going to meetings although I felt I didn't need them a few months ago, turned out I was wrong and im never wrong, just ask my wife. How can I locate meetings and are they pretty discreet?