It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

There are two things I've noticed since I've been on suboxone.. I now crave sweets like crazy! An have crazy ass dreams!

I'll start off on te subject of craving sweets!
My therapist says its my cravings for my DOX being averted to something else. But I'm not sure that is true. She told me not to eat te sweets that I am craving and try to change my train of thought. But I eat the sweets anyways lol. Am I doing the right thing? Or should I listen to my therapist?

On the subject of dreams. I have very realistic dreams. So scary too! Where I wake up and sometimes think it actually happened, until I am fully awake and remember where I am. Does anybody else have this problem? And if so is there anything that I can do to change it.
My therapist says they're "night terrors" and says that therapy and talking about them will make it better. But I've been in therapy and talking about it for 6 months as nothing has gotten better!

I feel like I can't get any good or real answers from anyone please somebody answer me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey! really interesting you bring up the dreams thing. I was about to start my own thread on the topic.

Firstly sweets. I have a suspicion that this is a side-effect of opioids in general. I DEFINITELY experienced this while on methadone. I would go through 2-3 McFlurry's a day, plus other assorted sweets. Also I was notorious for getting a McFlurry after I'd have a hit of heroin, and eating lots of ice-cream. There's something about opioids that's enhanced by the sweets, and something about sweets that's enhanced by the heroin. For me it's similar to wanting a cigarette after sex or a cigarette while drinking alcohol. When I'm feeling pleasure, I turn into a pleasure fiend and wanna pile on more and more pleasure. It's a bit of an addictive trait to be honest.

As for dreams. This is really weird. The last few days, since I came off Remeron, I've been getting these dreams / nightmares again. They often end up in me calling out in my sleep, having a horrified look on my face and saying things like "stop" or "help" or "no". I'm also usually panicking because I'm paralysed. Then when I wake up fully, I realise it was just a dream. But my present-partner's awake by this stage and is a bit concerned. This was the first time she experienced me doing this so was a bit worried. I think I was actually yelling "help". I remember dreaming my body was infected / taken-over by that crazy assed monster/alien from the movie "The Thing" - not the old one from the 80's, but the recent remake, which has IMO the scariest special effects I've seen in a movie. So I was pretty freaked.

I used to get these episodes a lot - usually every 2 or 3 nights, while I was with my ex-partner. I was on Suboxone then as well, though I don't remember it ever being a problem before Suboxone. But there's a lot of other variables in play, so I can hardly put it down to Suboxone with any certainty. Then I went on Remeron, which knocked me out so hard I wouldn't even dream.

It'd be interesting to see if other people have experienced the dreaming / nightmare thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:46 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey HappilyJasmine! The side affects you bring up are ones that I have and read plenty others who experience the same. It’s definitely not something I’ve ever seen on a medication guide due to the lack of hard evidence but I think there is a strong correlation.

I typically used to not be someone who ate an ungodly amount of sweets but I became one in the past 2 years. At first I would eat a lot of ice cream, just a cone or two, which was way more than I ever did, even though I have sensitivity to dairy products. After a short while I moved to chocolate and ate tons of Hershey kisses and a specific movie theater candy. Through this day I eat a box of it a day which is more than 600 calories and 65gs of sugar. Its unhealthy but could be worse.

I experience the same feeling as you and tj that I wake up in the night screaming something as I begin to pick up my body and stop once my bad is upright. Not sure if I am really screaming but I feel like it if I’m not because it happens in an instant (hard to explain). The dreams can sometimes feel real enough that I’m scared when I awake. Not as severe as tj, but nonetheless it is still something I don't remember from not being on opioids.

You're certainly not the only one with these experiences and it’s not a coincidence. If you didn't have the night terrors before suboxone it could be linked. How bad is it affecting your life? Is the therapist strictly for this problem?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm sorry that you both go through what I have to go trough! I hate it!
I wake up soaked in sweat and screaming!

I started seeing a therapist because I was having issues adjusting and for the dreams.

I was hoping there was some sort of medicine or something that could help with these night terrors. But my therapist insists that there is an underlying cause and that if I talk about all my problems and am open with everything I will no longer have these dreams. But I didn't have them before suboxone, so I don't think there is any other thing causing them!

It is so severe that for the next couple nights after having one of these night terrors, I don't sleep at all. Well I doze off for a little whole but can never fall into a deep sleep! Which can't e good for anybody. Then when I am finally able to sleep for a day or two I have another dream. It affects my life badly.

I am currently looking for a new therapist and doctor. Hopefully someone who doesn't think it's "an underlying emotional problem"!!

I feel like this therapist and doctor I see (they're in the same practice) are just coming up with bullshit diagnosis' and giving me some meds that I don't need. I just went there to get on suboxone. Then they tell me I'm bi-polar, I have ADHD, I have PTSD, and panic attacks!

Idk if I really even have these things!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

We addicts ade notorious for not making the best decisions for ourselves. Have you evrr gave any thought to what the therapist said about underlying emotional issues? Most timss that i or others have had night terrors they were due to something i did that was wrong or something bad was done to me....or just tons of stress. I would give it some thought if you really want to fix this. Blaming suboxone isnt going to fix anything now. This is why some good recovery is important in my life. So i can decognize these things. But. I would give it a go and not just blame subs/doctors not knowing whats really wrong or look for a pill to fix it. Just some food for thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Saw this ... don't get dreams anymore ...

The thing wasn't real!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBzpT7VmSaU