It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:11 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I guess pretty much all jobs have some kind of unpleasantry included but....I do think I've had my share of exceptionally crappy jobs:

One that stands out is the tree-planting job that payed less than 5 cents per tree...i cannot remember the exact amount but I think it was only 3 cents a tree or even less. Somehow some people were able to make 40 bucks a day doing that but I couldn't. the conditions were terrible--sliding down muddy clear-cut slopes in the freezing rain, having to carpool about 2 hours out of town and then often walk over piles of "slash" left behind form when the logging was done, no bathroom facilities. Well I didn't last long on taht crew...

After the tree planting job didn't work out I got a job on a small organic farm for minimum wage. It might have been nicer in the summer months but as it was winter it was pretty cold and miserable and...slim pickings...Got to stay on site in a little trailer with a couple of other workers. The real problem with that job though, besides, the poor wage, was that the boss was mean.

And then...I was a professional housecleaner for many years. Now that's a crappy job for sure. I remember this one guy who asked me to try to get some stains off a linoleum floor using GASOLINE as a cleaning fluid. And..he didn't even offer me any protective gloves or anything. I just flat out told him no.

So, eventually I decided to go to college and get a BA in the hopes it would improve my employment prospects. That led to

A job doing telephone surveys for the state--surveys on state job-help programs. While there were a couple of good things about this job, mostly it was awful--the pay wasn't too bad but it was part-time and therefore ineligible for benefits....they'd make sure you never worked enough hours in a month to be eligible to earn even one vacation day. And there was horrible pressure to try to convince people to do the survey even if they clearly refused That part was hard. And I hated it that the supervisor would listen in to the calls. Plus, no privacy at all at that call center, everyone could hear everyone else.

Finally I got a nice office job with benefits...but boy, some of the stupid-ass stuff I had to do for that job. I'll never forget the time I saw my coworkers peeling off "made in china" stickers from some merchandise, one by one, and then putting the product back into the individual plastic bags, one by one, because the client didn't want their customers to know the product had been made in China.

But like I said, I guess pretty much every job has some stupid and annoying part to it. Now I just wish i had A job....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ha, Romeo! The bigger they are, the harder they fall...and the funnier it is.

auto - sometimes ANY job is a good job, but for me a good job is one that engages my mind, challenges me, lets me be creative in some way and doesn't require me to sell my soul. I feel like the job I have right now is a good job, and I am so greatful for that. It's not that it never has a crappy moment or that I love every single thing about it...but the good definitely outweighs the bad.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:03 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

heres a story: working loss prevention: caught a girl that we thought was stealing. she kept going through the detectors at the exit of the store and it kept beeping. vwe followed protocol and took her to the backk office. im making a long story short: she reaches into her coochy and pulls out a double A battery. then she sits in my bosses chair and starts rubbing her junk on it like shes humping it. so im stuck alone with her becaUse im the only female. anyways, shes humping the chair and then puts the battery back in, then tales it out, then rubs her nasty cooch juice hands all over my bosses pens and everyything. im trying to keep her distracted while she is obviously trying to "get off". boss comes back in and takes her with him to get a statement and to make sure she doesnt sue us cause she dropped her underwear and pants in front of all of us. anyways, boss comes back without her and sits in the same chair she was humping and pickss up one of the pens. i left the office and called him from my cell after i left work and broke the news to him. next that chair was long gone!!!!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

forgot to add: so they werent even going to fire her for that but when the HR people took her to their office she wouldnt stop humping their chairs so they were left with no choice. they gave her two warnings and then fired her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OMG.........all I can think to say is OMG!!!!!! My eyes are STILL buggin' out of my head. That is the funniest shit ever!!! I would have loved to see your bosses face when you broke the news to him!!

Thanks for sharing that hilarious, yet disturbing story with us!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:52 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

OK... so this was about the most hilarious late night entertainment for me, Diary. I'm thinking you have a reality show right here in this resume. I can't think of an adjective colorful enough for all the work you've done, but I'd get going on that memoir. It's a best seller!
Anita

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Anita,

Have you read any of the Laughter is the Best Medicine thread that DoaQ started a while back??

Here's the link: http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3334

It is full of funny. One of my favorites is the Missing Missy (it has the picture of the cat) post. If you like funny stuff, you owe it to yourself to check that thread out!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Anita - thank you for bumping this thread. I just spent the last 10 min laughing my ass off and my kids are going, what? what? It just brings back so many memories of jobs I've even forgotten about, (like piecework in a greenhouse for like 2 cents a plant). I told my kids that back when I was a teenager (teenagers actually WORKED back then) you could quit a job and have a new one the next day. Boy have times changed! Did you guys hear that McDonalds had a national hiring day a while back and 1 million people showed up nationwide? I'm not making this up. There's a video on YouTube that shows a fight breaking out at one of the McDonalds and then some lady backed her car (purposely) over 3 other women! Its unf*cking believable. Anyway, I guess 68,000 people got hired that day, which calculates to a 6.8% chance of getting a job at McDonald's.
Sorry, I guess I'm taking the humor out of this. Maybe I can use this thread to get career ideas. Can you do that phone sex thing from home?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OMGosh Lilly, your very last sentence just made me fall out of my chair laughing!! I needed that, thanks dude!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:07 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

^^ phone sex is reallly easy to get into from home. you can either work for a 1800 line and they will cut you a check weekly however it is harder to make money because they force you to keep an average call time and you get paid for how high that avg is. beleive it or not you get a lot of dudes who hang up right away or they are on for a couple minutes and they get off and hang upl. the art and the hustle of the job is to get the guy to talk for 20 or more kminutes so you can get paid. this is very hard because all the guy wants to do is get off. anyways, its hard to do for a 800 nuber but you can also free lanjce on your own and you have to get customers but you dont have to wrry about avg call times and you dont have yo worry about the company taking a %. so sites like niteflirt.com are good because they allow the girl to set her own prices and add pictures, most girls on those sites make more money from selling "used panties" and stuff to the guys for 30 plus dollars an item. i remember when i first started this girls said to me (over IM) that she makes very little money off the calls themselves she makes more money off hustling her items to the guys after or before the call. because a call lasts minutes but the item can last forever. just make sure you dont put a return address on it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Imma bump this thread. I just found it and thought I'd add to it, although I really can't compete with phone sex operator and the like.. lol

I had the usual crappy jobs when I was younger, worked in a pet store, server, etc.. not too much to write home about. But, during most of my 20s, I was a coordinator for a production and had to handle props, locations (aka logistical nightmares.) Coordinator basically means "make it happen." Whatever they throw at you, you gotta make it happen. Some of the scenarios I was faced with are...........

Trying to find 200lbs of pork butt, last minute, to be delivered to a dirt field in Florida with no known address. Just calling around to meat wholesalers alone, for massive quantities of pork butt, was priceless. Never mind trying to get it to a field..

Trying to find the appropriate equipment to set up a working kitchen to cook inside the Ice Hotel in Quebec. Clearly there were regulations. At least I had time for this one..

On the flip side, I once had to build a snow hill in the desert. Well, it wasn't the desert proper but it was California in the blazing summertime. We were working with kids and their "last minute wish" was to go sledding. Yeah.. I was on my phone paying a vendor via paypal. LOL

And most recently, I was called on a friday, at about 5pm, to get permits to transfer 2 grizzly bears across state lines. If you've ever had to get a permit, you'll know how awful this is. Last minute on a friday? Pfft... good times!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hahaha. You guys are incredibly hilarious. My job history isn't nearly as entertaining, but ill share my most and least important ones anyways; LEAST important- dry cleaning.. you never fully appreciate clean laundry until you handle a 400LB homeless transvestites sexy undergarments, of which were clearly being kept on his/her body some days whilst riding his bike back and forward accross town, or either in his*er lunchbox that was tied to the front of that amazing 3-wheeled bike. SECOND MOST important- I was a "tree cutter" in northern california for 5 years; climbing giant sequoia's was actually incredibly fun; there's something that is ridiculously zen-like being 150FT in the air with an enormous chainsaw thinning out the branches of such an amazing tree. MOST important- if you watch UFC around St. Pattys day, ill be sure to give a shout-out to the forum and a few people in particular so you know which one is me :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I can't stop laughing after reading this older thread! :lol:

Some very funny job stories here!

Mikey25 wrote:
MOST important- if you watch UFC around St. Pattys day, ill be sure to give a shout-out to the forum and a few people in particular so you know which one is me
I read in another post that you were one of those UFC stud's! No doubt I will be watching on that particular day! :D

Karen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:02 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What an awesome thread, I'm glad it got bumped. I'm trying to think of a specific story, I experience so much stupidity, bile, and general WTF over the last few years fixing computers face-to-face with the general public it's hard to pick a certain story.

Here we go, I'm paraphrasing since I didn't exactly record the conversation, but it went something like this:

A somewhat dishevelled looking middle-aged woman walked up to the counter late at night when we weren't very busy and I was one of only a couple people working in the department.

"Hello Mr. Tech guy, my laptop here stopped working, can you help me out?"

I remember she was perfectly polite but as I said she seemed a little off, a little fidgety and unkempt looking. Used to much worse, I think nothing of it and go through my usual routine for a laptop that won't even power on.

"Sure, let me try a couple things really quick." I take out the battery, try it with just her charger, then with one of our known good chargers. It does actually turn on but it doesn't POST, doesn't show anything on the screen or start working.

"Well, that's all the quick fixes I can try. Has anyone opened it up recently to do upgrades or change anything?" I always ask them this just before breaking the news that it's probably the motherboard which isn't worth fixing at $500-$600 parts and labor. If someone has been messing around inside it can be one of the other major components instead that are loose or messed up somehow.

"No, I'm the only one who uses it, nothing's been changed." She says this, but suddenly she starts looking even more nervous, looking around and finding it hard to stand still. I start to wonder if maybe she needs to go to the bathroom or something, but remembering that she's taking up my time without paying anything I launch into the slightly greedy part of my routine.

"Well, it's probably the motherboard then and isn't worth fixing, but just to be sure I'd really like to run diagnostics and see if it's something cheaper that will be easier to fix. Bad RAM or a hard drive can also cause this kind of problem." Surprisingly, she seems more than willing to pay and wait a couple days for this process. I start to do up a quote to charge her and start the check-in paperwork for her computer.

I must have projected an air of trustworthiness or something because suddenly she leans over to confide in me her secret, in a calm if conspiratorial near whisper:

"Actually, yesterday I did open it to take out the spying chip the government sells them with."

I think I probably just blinked at her a couple times. It's lucky I was pretty well stoned on my morphine after my recent trip to the bathroom because otherwise I probably would have lost it and scared her away. As it was I just skipped a beat and then decided to try and help this obviously troubled person rather than take advantage. I stop making the quote and do my best to keep my face straight.

"Oh, OK. Do you mind if I pop it open to see if everything's good in there?"

She was once again happy for my help and said yes. I grab my trusty screwdriver set and take off the bottom panel. The RAM is obviously missing. In case you know nothing about computers I'll just say that RAM is an important and non-optional part of any computer. She had apparently mistaken it for some kind of nefarious government listening chip that came with every computer. Now how to explain this to her? I decide to go with boring and informative, to see how delusional she was or if she would believe me.

"Well, it looks like the RAM is missing. Every computer needs RAM to work, what yours is doing is normal since it doesn't have any installed. It looks like you may have taken it out yesterday. Do you still have it?

"Of course not, I broke it in half and then drove it far away from my house so they can't track me."

"Hmmm. We sell new RAM here that doesn't have anything bad in it, I can recommend some to you that will get your computer working again." For a few seconds she looked like she was trying to decide if she could trust me or maybe the whole store. She mumbled something like "ok, sure" but then immediately started point at more things in her open laptop and asking about them, about if they were spying devices. I just try to keep up with technical explanations for every little thing.

"That's just the hard drive. North bridge. That's a tiny capacitor. CMOS battery to save settings. Connector for the monitor. Wifi card and antenna (Shouldn't have said antenna, she freaked a little and had to know how it worked.)

I finally get it closed up and tell her what to buy. She says she'll install it herself since she already took it out.

Despite all my explaining, she left still looking worried. I never saw her again, so I guess she got it working. I can only imagine how she used it and what was on there with that crazy paranoia, I never got to see it working. Probably for the best. The other guy working was listening to most of the conversation since it was so dead, we both had a good laugh afterward.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What?!??!! The RAM in my computer is a gov't spying device? I'm removing mine right....

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
What?!??!! The RAM in my computer is a gov't spying device? I'm removing mine right....

Bahahaha! Oh Romeo...You're too much. I just hope you didn't forget the tinfoil hat while you were handling that spy device!

And @ Mikey,

Just remember...I was the first one to recognize your UFC Hottness. I think that warrants a shout out, don't you? :D

Something like..."I could never have done this without the support of my best friend...Qhorsegal, she is the most amazing, supportive, and coolest chick I've ever not met!"
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wait a minute. You sold her another RAM. Wouldn't that just signal the government again to look on her computer? LOL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

raudy1975 wrote:
Wait a minute. You sold her another RAM. Wouldn't that just signal the government again to look on her computer? LOL

We'll never know. I told another coworker the story some time later and he remembered having a similarly crazy chick talk to him about the stuff she worried about in her computer, but we couldn't remember her well enough to confirm it was the same person. I had a couple others act the same way but not quite as much as her.

In lieu of another story, I'd like to present some interesting pictures I've snapped over the years. Click any of them to see it bigger.

It was a rare thing to get a report from the corporate service guys typed better than this.

This might only be funny to a computer guy like me but in addition to the spiderweb of power cables the hilarious thing is the gigantic video card in this little HP. It's a bit like hallowing out a Honda Civic's engine bay so you can cram a Corvette motor in.

Nobody panic, he's fine. I got him.

It's basically an iPad, I promise. And don't worry, your budge can handle it.

Only in an electronics store in the bathroom next to computer service do you get graffiti like this.

Mmmmm, baby, rub me just right, turn me on. I did this one so I can vouch for its honesty. Not to mention coherence.

That is definitely where the sticker is supposed to go. Where else? The outside of the computer? That would just be silly.

This was actually my main work computer's CPU. It was working just fine before and after I opened it to fix something unrelated.

*shudder*

ImageImage
I'm pretty sure the guy who returned this broken mouse accepted it just so he could make that label.

Ever wanted to smell like the 300 Spartan's toilets? Of course you have, we all have.

This is a 20 year old case the guy keeps putting new parts into for some ungodly reason. That is carpet on the bottom and I think a bathroom towel/mat in the back. Everyone who worked on it developed itching and sneezing for a couple hours. We didn't know it was the cause until it got picked up and we all felt much better.

The only funny thing about this one is that I tore everything out of this iMac up to this point with no idea how to put it back together again and got way in over my head. Thank god there's a guide for everything on youtube or ifixit. Don't tell anyone, it'll put us computer techs out of work. It's how we learn to do everything on the job.

I have no words, then or now. The guy couldn't keep away from the porn section either, I had to keep getting him to come back to ask him questions and do paperwork.

Butts. Butts on the ink refilling machine. It had an error that revealed it just runs Linux and has Chrome. You can browse the web, even play games or youtube videos on it. Butts was the obvious first stop, of course.

And here ends the phabulous photo phest. It occurs to me to say that if anyone here has computer problems or plans to visit someone locally and you need help/advice please don't hesitate to post about it or PM me. It's the least I can do for all support I've been given here.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My hard drive crashed, can ya fix it for me? I kept all the pieces.

Attachments:
smashed-hard-drive-1[1].jpg
smashed-hard-drive-1[1].jpg [ 94.14 KiB | Viewed 305 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Romeo wrote:
My hard drive crashed, can ya fix it for me? I kept all the pieces.

Sure! Just a moment.

All done! Here you go!

Man there is so much Beavis and Butthead porn on there.... Don't worry, I won't tell anyone.