It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Cran't Stay Asleep!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am having the craziest time trying to get a solid night's sleep on suboxone. If I take any more than 1 mg of suboxone (even just one time), my sleep will be constantly interrupted through out the night for up to a couple of days afterward - even though I take Lunesta or Ambein before going to bed.
I have experimented with this a great deal, and it seems that I can safely take about 0.5 mg in the early morning and have a solid night of sleep that night but I'm hurting so much by the time I get home that I am tempted to take more just to play with my kids or help around the house.
I've been on suboxone for years now and it has been a life saver for me, but I just don't know what to do about the sleep issue. I remember early on taking something more powerful to sleep, but I wanted to sleep all the next day - interferring with work.
Also, I excercise- both on my job running around and lifting weights.
Any advice is appreciated. I'm grateful there are people that care.

Post subject: Re: Cran't Stay Asleep!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:48 pm 

Hi heftysmurf and welcome to our forum!

Did you have any sleep issues before abusing opiates? It just doesn't sound right that the Sub is keeping you awake at night. Usually it happens when a person takes their dose in the evening. Then you get that weird full color dream experience. Not quite asleep, and not quite awake. You stay just above the point of going under while watching an episode of the Twilight Zone in your head. Your dose is so small and taken in the morning makes it baffling. And Ambien and Lunesta not working? That is way too weird.

Have you talked to your doctor about this? Maybe a sleep study would find some answers. I surely don't have any. Let's hope someone else can you more than me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Actually, before I realized the issue was even linked to the suboxone, I took two sleep studies think I might have sleep apnea or something. They both came up with nothing except they perscribed ambein, which never really worked.
The sleep interruption is like that twilight effect you mentioned, except I wake up and eat something (usually junk food if it's in the house), but I'm definitely awake because I know I'm doing it and I so exhausted the next day it's like I never even slept.
What really confuses me is how awesome I sleep when I taper down to 0.5 mg early in the day and by the time night rolls around, I'm out solid waking up early. If I try to go without all together, of course the sleepng stops for days - I was forced off suboxone while staying in the hospital for an unrelated issue and didn't sleep for a week.
Is it possible my body just is at a point that I need to taper off completely.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Aslo, I don't remember having sleeping problems before other than the typical issues brought on during withdrawal between opiates. I'm very grateful for Suboxone ending that nightmare and I will never go back. My suboxone doctor really doesn't have an answer besided tranquilizers that keep me sleepy for days.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Do you workout in the late afternoon or evenings? What pre-workout drink do you take? I know a lot of those pre-workout drinks are LOADED with caffeine. I took jack3d once and that stuff had me up until 4am!! 1MR did about the same to me.

I've been on this site for a good while now and I've never seen anyone have sleep issues like you're having from Suboxone. I'm not saying I don't believe you, it just seems incredible that a 1mg dose in the morning would keep you up at night?

I wonder if something else you're taking may be making Suboxone act the way it does for you?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I need to correct my earlier information - I can't believe I never bothered to actually read the perscription bottle - lol. I have problems sleeping when I take more than half a tab per day, which is actually 4 mg buprenorphine/ 1 mg naloxone. Sorry about that.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also, I have a recent update. I was perscribed Doxepin to sleep better and it worked, but I felt tired most of the next day (as mentioned earlier). I told my cardiologist this just today and he is going to have me try lexapro. He told me try it for at least 6 weeks.