It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: A couple questions.....
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I recently started suboxone and just have a few questions that I forgot to ask my doctor about. I tried calling his office but he wasn't in. I do plan on getting a hold of him to discuss these issues but it's really driving me nuts right now!
I'm currently taking lexapro. I have read that some anti depressants cannot be taken while on suboxone. Are there any interactions between the two?
Also, I am not much of a drinker but do enjoy the occasional beer or two every now and then. Is it okay to have a couple drinks or should it be avoided. I have no problem not drinking at all but am curious. How many of you do drink while on sub?
Thank you all in advance for any insight you have on these issues!
Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi there and welcome to a great forum. I'm not a doctor or a medical professional, just an informed recovering addict. I've not heard of any specific interactions with anti-depressants and suboxone. There are many of us on this forum who take them, including myself (I take Celexa). Definitely still check with your doctor, but I wouldn't worry too much.

As for the drinking, I've read of many people here who just aren't as interested in drinking since starting suboxone, myself included. Not quite sure why, but it seems to be a theme. Personally, I drink only occasionally, but not more than one or two drinks. It's as though I just don't feel like it anymore.

Again, welcome to the forum.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Welcome....
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:10 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi bmdad,
Hello & welcome to what I think is the best "Suboxone Forum" on the web.... I am NOT a Dr. or Health expert either. I am A recovering Addict and Alcoholic!! I can only give you my experience and hope it answers some of your questions? I have been on Suboxone for almost 15 months. During that time I have also been RX'd Antidepressants (wellbutrin & paxill) and I have not had any adverse reactions while mixing them with my Suboxone Rx (16 mgs. a day). As far as the drinking goes I am an Alcoholic in recovery and Sober for about 10 months.... You can do the math... lol I was drinking for about 5 months when first on Suboxone and don't think it was any different from drinking before I started Suboxone..... BUT I was a black out drinker period so I am not a good example!!! I think the "Company Line" is don't drink while taking Suboxone but I personally don't think a couple of beers will hurt you to much... I would definitely check with your Dr. on both so you get the right advice from someone who knows your medical backround.... Well I hope I gave you some insight into your questions. I am sure others will chime in and give you their take as well. Please enjoy the forum and come back and post often we love hearing from you..... Best of luck in your Recovery.... :)

God Bless
TW

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the quick responses! I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone on here and eventually being able to share my knowledge about sub although I'm too new to it to be able to help right now!
This seems like a great place to get advice and support.
Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:49 pm 
Hello and welcome! Yes....this is the best place for information and support! Congrats on your recovery thus far!
I have been on Suboxone for 9 1/2 months and I have had 1 or 2 glasses of wine on a few occasions during that time frame with no problems whatsoever. The alcohol did not seem to affect me any differently than it ever has before. I don't drink often so I have a pretty low tolerance for alcohol. It did not make me sick or anything like that to drink while on Suboxone.
I certainly would not recommend drinking at all if alcohol has ever been a problem for you or if you feel in any way that the drinking would be done in an effort to 'numb up' or if you would be drinking just to get drunk. There are many in recovery circles who feel that drinking at all is a definite no-no, but obviously it's a personal choice. To me, if there is no history of alcohol abuse and if you are reasonably stable in your recovery, a social drink from time to time is okay.
As far as the antidepressant goes, I'm sorry I can't help you on that one as I am not prescribed any of those meds. But I would feel confident in what the others have said and I have heard of many others who take them with Sub and have no problems.
I am not a doctor or expert either, just someone like you who is battling opiate addiction. I hope you'll post often....we have a really good group here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I never have had a problem with drinking. I guess that was more of a general question. I haven't even had one drink in probably 3 years and that was when I had almost a year clean time under my belt. It's not like I'm thinking about running out and grabbing a 6 pack or anything. I guess it's more of just feeling "normal" (whatever that is) from starting the sub. I guess I"m just wondering if I can get back to my old self. And when my old self was going out to dinner on occasion with some friends and having a beer or two with dinner. I have no desire to have a drink just the desire to get my old ways back. If that makes any sense!
Although I know nothing about sub yet I do know addiction. If you look up the definition my name is probably in it. I know this is a perfect time for cross addiction but I have never been a fan of getting plowed. No one in my family has a problem with it. Heck, no one in my family and extended family had a problem with anything. I guess I just screwed my future generations by starting the addiction gene. I know that once we become addicts anything that alters the brain may eventually become a problem. I do know there is always that chance. But like I said above, I guess it's just wanting to get back to my normal life before pain meds.
Does that even make any sense?...lol
No drinks for me in the near future until I know my life is back on track. No need to take that chance while I'm still vulnerable.
You folks better be ready for me. I'm sure I'll have a million more questions!
Thanks again and congrats to all of you for wanting and getting out of active addiction!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I totally understand wanting the old self back. When I am off suboxone, I have in the past had a tendency to over drink off and on in my life. On suboxone, I don't care much about alcohol and in fact have WAY more control than when I am off suboxone. I feel completely comfortable having a drink on it. In fact, I had 2 beers last night. I have gotten drunk on suboxone a couple of times. Once was the day of my cousins funeral and once was on the 4th of July. So I think it is safe to say that you have some freedom with it......but proceed with caution. They say that mixing alcohol with suboxone can cause respiratory depression. Probably on the two occasions that I got drunk I was pushing it too far. (I didn't know back then that it could do this because my doc had said he didn't care if I drank on sub and gave me no other warnings). So take it easy.....which is sounds is already part of the plan :-)