It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:29 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi everybody,

So I have a couple of questions about Suboxone and pregnancy. Any insight would be invaluable.

So, when a woman goes to a doctor to get prescribed Suboxone, is it true they sometimes have to sign a paper agreeing they won't get pregnant. And if they do end up getting pregnant, does the doctor cut them off from their medicine in the middle of their pregnancy?

Is it true that if a woman does have a suboxone doctor, and the woman lets the doctor know in advance she is planning on getting pregnant, the doctor will take her off Suboxone and make her go to a clinic to get on methadone (since its more "studied")? What about if a woman has a doctor and has been on suboxone for a while and then gets pregnant? Will the doctor work with her, be supportive, and keep her on it?

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:02 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi maleko -

From my experience....

I did not have to sign anything saying I wouldn't get pregnant. I also didn't tell them I was planning on getting pregnant but for my sub doctor - I don't think it would have been a problem. At the clinic I go to, there are 3 pregnant ladies and I am one of them. They are super supporting, educating and caring.

MY sub dr works with my OB to make sure we are all on the same page. My sub dr also happens to be a pediatrician at the hospital I will give birth and he will be my baby's Dr. baby which is lucky for me because he has lots of experience with this!

I honestly have never heard of a Dr trying to make a pregnant lady or soon to be pregnant lady switch to methadone but I have heard some stories where Dr's were not as supportive as the one I am blessed with. In my opinion, as long as a waiver wasn't signed saying you wont get pregnant while on sub, I dont think its any of their business that your "trying" until you get pregnant. Maybe it would be more responsible to ask about the policy they have in case it did happen but that's as far as I would go!

Hope this helps....I am sure other ladies will chime in with different advice/experience!

Jessica