It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Countdown to Generic!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Doing my homework on suboxone, and my treatment and found that on October 8th, 2009 the patent runs up on suboxone! Now the Co. Can delay other co's from selling generics for a month or two (or up to 3) for testing to make sure quality is up to par, but relief is coming, and the important part of that for me is getting my life back in order, and give others without the means to start there sobriety. So the countdown begins, and If anyone happens to get a generic script in there area, please post the general area that you live, place of purchase, and out of pocket cost (no insurance/insurance). Thanks!

Jay Jay. Sober since July 9th,2008.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have been on the look-out for info about a generic manufacturer stepping up to the plate... I'll second the motion, that if anyone hears of a generic form of buprenorphine, please post and let me know by e-mail as well.

Suboxone = high priced medication + growing patient base + cheap base chemicals = profit; I have to think that someone will be making a generic version!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:14 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Ive spoke to my doctor and he still hasn't heard anything about another company stepping up and taking this drug on. Man the people lives this will help! It sure will help mine out. Im worrying now on how Ill be able to pay for my next visit and pay for the script. Yes, if anyone hears different please be sure to post!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sure hoping that someone will start making generic Sub I'm currently covered by my parents insurance since I'm in school but after I turn 25 next year I'm probably done for because of my medical history no insurance company would in their right mind cover me given my medical history and between having thousands of dollars in student loans to pay off and not having alot of time for work because of school I'm not really thinking I'd be able to afford to stay on Sub considering it'd end up costing around a couple hundred dollars per month. My doctor usually only charges $60 per visit which is great and very generous of him but the Sub itself would be the big expense. Anyway hopefully something will work out the longest I've ever made it through opiate withdrawal was 4 months and even then I still couldn't sleep more than a couple of hours per night and had all kinds of other intense withdrawal symptoms. Bottom line is I'm a major coward when it comes to withdrawal and it's not something I've been able to handle without becoming suicidally depressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well, Roxane Pharmaceuticals has been granted "Tentative Approval" for generic Subutex 2 mg and 8 mg. It is only a matter of time now before full approval is giving and only a matter of a bit more time for a Suboxone generic to be made.

"Tentative Approval" means that FDA has concluded that a drug product has met all required quality, safety and efficacy standards, even though it is not yet eligible to be marketed in the U.S. because of existing patents and/or exclusivity rights.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/c ... ROCHLORIDE

Bottom of page you can click the "BUPRENORPHINE HYDROCHLORIDE (ANDA # 078633)" and see a bit more info.

Now as far as Suboxone generics go I have heard that "buprenorphine/naloxone combination tablets with the same and consistent absorption characteristics as the branded product are harder to manufacture ." Now that is just that....what I have heard as far as Suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:11 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Sooooo.... It's now oct. 9th for people on the east coast. Patent has expired. I don't expect the companies that plan on making a generic version are going to take there time getting approval and getting there product to market. So the wait begins...I happen to go to the doctor next tuesday, so i'll ask my doc if he has heard anything, I know he is keeping his eye on the subject. But i'm not expecting much. I do know one thing....i'll be getting one week at a time, just in case it does happen soon, hate to get 500.00 worth and find out the next day a generic is out for 5 bucks ;)

JayJay -Sober since July 9th, 2008.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:41 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Good Website explaining generics and the "film-strip" that may/may not come out:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... .dD8Nh5Hco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

As predicted Roxane Labrotories won Approval for Generic Subutex yesterday. No info on when it will hit the pharmacy shelves or price.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/NewsEvents/ucm130961.htm

The site is having issues on and off at the moment. :?

As of now there are no pending generics for Suboxone however. :cry:

For those interested here is a link to the Bio-equivalence trial they did on the generic a while back

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/ ... =Y&rank=50

I for one will insist my doctor switch me to a generic subutex if it is cheaper then a branded Suboxone, until a generic Suboxone is out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Methman,

Hey thanks for this great info! I wouldn't even know where to look to find this sort of thing.

Keep us posted on what you find out and thanks again!

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

jamez70 wrote:
Methman,

Hey thanks for this great info! I wouldn't even know where to look to find this sort of thing.

Keep us posted on what you find out and thanks again!

Jim

Hi Jim,

I will keep everyone posted. I have emailed the good doctor about this and maybe he can find out more info, such as, when we can expect it to be available at our local pharmacies.

I called my local CVS and they have no updates but said to try back on Monday as it was approved on Friday so they may not get updates until corporate returns for the week, etc....

I imagine the price will be rather cheap *fingers crossed* because as the good doctor pointed out the base chemicals are very cheap.

But in the mean time, once this hits shelves, I would advise asking your doctors to switch you to it until someone steps up and makes a Suboxone generic. Some doctors will, some wont no doubt, but it is worth a try, that is, if it is cheaper than Suboxone. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have heard though that Subutex tastes like crap, unlike that yummy orange Suboxone! haha

I wonder if the generic will be 'flavored' or not? Hey, if its $1.00 a pill, who gives a crap right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thank you everyone for some great investigating and reporting! I will put the links on Suboxone Talk Zone, and I am grateful for those of you who tipped me off.

The older folks will remember what happened with generics about 10 years ago. Before that time, generics were generally prices at 10% or less of the brand name product, and the branded product would generally drop in price to remain competitive. After then, however, things changed for some reason, and generics started pricing much closer to the price of the brand-name drug. I have no idea what will happen going forward, but it is good news that at least one company has jumped into the business- or at least seems to be jumping in.

Thanks again everyone, and to you, Jamez, for pointing out the thread.

JJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow! Would be so hella cool if a generic is out by the time my parents health insurance no longer covers me next year. Normally grad students can hardly afford to eat let alone buy a several hundred dollar medication every month... I heard a commentator on the news the other day talking about how he couldn't understand why the early 20's group was the least insured demographic....Really? It's because no one can afford it and even if you get lucky and find a decent job that provides coverage it usually takes 6months to a year before it will kick in.

Addicts like us can expect to pay insanely high premiums if anyone will even cover us that is... I've just felt so hopeless for so long about how broken the way things are now. In many ways the few minor attempts at covering the uninsured with programs like Medicaid are doing the opposite of what they were originally intended for. I have numerous friends who after getting out of school have thousands to pay back in student loans have very few if any job options and then when someone qualifies for Medicaid it's usually not in their best interest to attempt to find a job or a better job that has benefits as there's a huge gap between when Medicaid stops and when the employers coverage begins. Better hope nothing goes wrong or you're likely to be even further down the debt hole for a very, very long time.

Sorry to ramble on point is I'm really hoping there's a light at the end of the tunnel and maybe I won't have to stop Suboxone and all other medical care/procedures after next year. I'm not saying I wouldn't be able to stay clean without it but I've tried many times before and always failed. Hopefully we'll have an affordable generic with which the many uninsured can have a chance to stay clean and change their lives....Hopefully

Thanks for the info guys sure appreciate it and I may sleep a little better tonight not worrying so much about what's going to happen to me when I'm yet another of millions of Americans without insurance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:56 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

YEA!!!!!! So subutex now has a Generic....the only ? now is why not suboxone...don't see why it would be so hard to just add 2mg naloxone and some flavor, or no flavor at all. The reason I came up with is that suboxone has 1 use, subutex could be used for pain management giving it a larger customer base. One thing I noticed when I, for a short time, took subutex is that for some reason I didn't think it curbed cravings quite as well as suboxone, I don't know why (probably mental) , but I have read people curbing cravings after subs with just naltrexone, 50mg or so but just Naltrexone. So my conclusion is that it's in my head...and when generic bupe HCL comes out i'll be switching...and i'm sure that my head problem with it will be eased with my growing savings account :)

JayJay- sober since July 9th,2008

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I wouldn't get too excited about the lower costs a generic may or may not bring to us. Being a drug that is used for such a small market, a Suboxone or Subutex generic won't be THAT much less than the name brand. I'm just hoping its at least 20% less expensive. Since naloxone is a relatively benign substance in Suboxone, I'd have no problem switching to a Subutex generic, but I'm just wondering if my doctor will see it that way. I'm guessing the generic will hit the market within 30 days. I don't care what it tastes like, as long as it's a good bit cheaper than $350 for #60 tablets!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

StaffWriter wrote:
I wouldn't get too excited about the lower costs a generic may or may not bring to us. Being a drug that is used for such a small market, a Suboxone or Subutex generic won't be THAT much less than the name brand. I'm just hoping its at least 20% less expensive. Since naloxone is a relatively benign substance in Suboxone, I'd have no problem switching to a Subutex generic, but I'm just wondering if my doctor will see it that way. I'm guessing the generic will hit the market within 30 days. I don't care what it tastes like, as long as it's a good bit cheaper than $350 for #60 tablets!

Agreed!

No doubt it would be wishful thinking to think it will hit shelves at a dollar a tablet, doubly so when there is little Rx of Subutex as of now.

I do not care what it tastes like either as I will get used to it in the same manner I got used to the taste of Buprenorphine/Naloxone a.k.a. Suboxone, that is, if it is cheaper than the branded Buprenorphine/Naloxone tablets.

Right now I am paying $360.00 ($6.00 per tablet X 60) and that is the cheapest I could find it in my state of Michigan (please let me know if you know cheaper per tablet price in Michigan :) ). I buy per week as that is all I can afford and even that is straining my bank account and my life. Hell sometimes I can only afford to buy a day or 2 worth to carry me over.... it sucks, as I just want to straighten my life out. But that is another subject and another time.

I cannot say what the cost will be yet nor when we can expect it on the shelves, but I do know, if it is cheaper I will make sure I get switched or find a Doctor who will switch me. I was also hoping for at least a 20-30% difference in price as well FWIW as that is realistic considering...

The only other info I have come across so far is the citizen petition(s) Reckitt Benckiser filed, and the polite denials by the FDA as to why the argument was mute.:
BACK and FORTH:
http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/ ... 009-P-0154
DENIAL and REASONS:
http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/ ... 6480a3edce

I know it is not too helpful to most but for the Doctors or Pharmacist that see this it is good reading.

Also, as of right now, there is no formal announcement from Roxane regarding the approval either. But judging by the past announcements, they may not say anything until it is ready to ship....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I hope for the sobriety of so many addicts that Suboxone becomes available soon in a generic form. It's disappointing to know how addicts are used to make a profit. When is the medical community and insurance companies going to begin to treat addiction as an illness? That's another discussion all together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:10 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

so I spent the last hour calling pharmacies and none have generic bup in yet...one girl was helpful and said that it should take 2 weeks to a month from the approval date to them hitting the shelves, or at least that is what has happened in the past. All the other pharmacists ....well for a lack of a better word were ALL ASSHOLES!!!!!! so guess we got some time still...o well after 400 some odd days whats another month

JayJay sober since July 9th, 208

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

anyone want to see the new insert, bottle label, and what the generic Subutex will look like????
http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/dr ... m?id=11876

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:11 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am pleased to anounce that the generic is now available. The were many concerns but never the less my doctor called me today and told me it was now available. I called my local CVS (which dispences alot of subutex due to several doctors in the area. The price for cash that was quoted:$425.00 FOR #60 8MG. AND $250 FOR #60 2MG. FROM ROXANE pharma.

The good news people were worried that it might only be a $10.00 savings at first, but in this case it is a $200 savings Aprox. 1/3 off the brand, this is kinda anti-climatic but not that bad, this is only one store, and prices will only fall more, as more is made... PLEASE POST PRICES/LOCATIONS