It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have always been an introvert, the real shy type, massive social anxiety. Early on, many years ago, I discovered that my pain meds helped the situation. In fact they helped so much that this was one of the justifications I used to make, just 1 more. The larger the social function, the greater the dosage. This emotional pain and my real physical pain both conspired and the rest is history.

At any rate, neither my doctor nor any others I've chatted with, seem to realize that forcing someone like me to go to an NA meeting, actually is a major trigger problem for me. In addition to it being a major trigger, this is the only place and time in my life that I'm exposed to the topic of drugs, too much of everyone remembering the good ole days, before things got out of hand. And all the talk about total abstinence when I have an underlying painful medical condition that will gradually get worse as I age just doesn't seem logical; all the meetings in the world isn't going to change the facts of my condition nor alleviate the pain by way of talking about drugs. This all seems counter productive, just going with the flow to make the rule makers happy.

It seems there should be other acceptable forms of treatment or counselling for those of us in Sub treatment with social anxiety issues and other underlying medical issues. I wish the Sub docs could work with some more freedom to do the right thing for their patients instead of having to fit everyone into the same box just to comply with some rules some non-doctors made up.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Physicians have a great deal of latitude in making recommendations. I am paraphrasing but we must have resources available. There is no mandatory # of meetings, type of counseling or other hoops to jump through. I have one patient with similar problems; chronic pain, anxiety (PTSD) and opiates that got out of control. She sees a therapist for CBT (to address the anxiety) me for meds and therapy and she uses online forums and chat rooms for support. 8+ plus months and doing well. We have been pleasantly surprized how well the pain management has gone.

PAX DocM

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:54 am 

Hi Terryx,

Check out this link and see if anyone of these would work for you.

http://www.suboxforum.com/list-other-recovery-programs-t9616.html

rule

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:59 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

terryx wrote:
I have always been an introvert, the real shy type, massive social anxiety. Early on, many years ago, I discovered that my pain meds helped the situation. In fact they helped so much that this was one of the justifications I used to make, just 1 more. The larger the social function, the greater the dosage. This emotional pain and my real physical pain both conspired and the rest is history.

At any rate, neither my doctor nor any others I've chatted with, seem to realize that forcing someone like me to go to an NA meeting, actually is a major trigger problem for me. In addition to it being a major trigger, this is the only place and time in my life that I'm exposed to the topic of drugs, too much of everyone remembering the good ole days, before things got out of hand. And all the talk about total abstinence when I have an underlying painful medical condition that will gradually get worse as I age just doesn't seem logical; all the meetings in the world isn't going to change the facts of my condition nor alleviate the pain by way of talking about drugs. This all seems counter productive, just going with the flow to make the rule makers happy.

It seems there should be other acceptable forms of treatment or counselling for those of us in Sub treatment with social anxiety issues and other underlying medical issues. I wish the Sub docs could work with some more freedom to do the right thing for their patients instead of having to fit everyone into the same box just to comply with some rules some non-doctors made up.

I can relate to your situation so much. I, too, grew up with horrible social anxiety, (called 'painfully shy' back then), and though I've gotten a little better, (I'm quite chatty with family and a small number of people I've known forever), but, I'm still silent around strangers, especially a large gathering of them, and one of the major reasons I've always resisted being pushed at The 12-Steps was the meetings and being in a large group of people. The other reason is their common stance of Suboxone. It's extremely unfair and insensitive for a CD professional to expect a person with social anxiety to 'go find a meeting and share,' or 'just start talking to someone and ask them to sponsor you.' It's a lot more difficult than they realize.

My sweet girls; Hermione & Ginny. My little adopted fur-babies since summer 2013! ^__^

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

http://www.smartrecovery.org/

Smart Recovery has a plethora of online forums, chats and meetings. Smart Recovery (at least the meetings and forums I have attended) is supportive of MAT and other psychiatric medications. Fits
well for some one that is isolated socially or geographically.