It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Monthly cost for buprenorphine maintenance, doctor visits only?
$50 or less 23%  23%  [ 33 ]
$50 - $100 15%  15%  [ 22 ]
$100 - $150 21%  21%  [ 30 ]
$150 - $200 17%  17%  [ 25 ]
$200 - $250 5%  5%  [ 8 ]
$250 - $300 8%  8%  [ 11 ]
$300 - $350 4%  4%  [ 6 ]
$350 - $400 8%  8%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 146
 Post subject: Cost of treatment
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi all-- I am trying to get a sense of the cost for buprenorphine treatment in different parts of the country. I will leave a poll asking about the cost per month-- please don't use the cost per visit, but the cost per month. For example, if you are seen every two months and each appointment is $300, your monthly cost is $150.

Do NOT include the cost of medication; that will come later. Also don't include the induction cost-- I just want the cost of maintenance, for established patients.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Your poll indicates the desire to know prices around the country, but only had price...I clicked the $350-$400 and live in Ky.(YEE-HAW). That's the monthly doctor fee ( $225 cash and she was hitting my insurance for another $200 which the Expalnation of Benefits said they were only covering $50, so I had to pony up an additional $150 every visit) of $375...no meds.

Hope this helps.

Oh yeah, thanks for building this web-site...what a sensational tool it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:14 pm 
I just thought i would add that, before i had insurance i payed $62.00.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There's already 3 of y'all who pay less than $50 per visit?? What in the world is going on?

Man, was my Dr. ever putting the wood to me :evil: , but I called several other doctors in the area when I started sub years ago and they were all within the $$$$ ballpark.

Hey Dr. J, you should move down south!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:17 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

And I'm sure all these Dr,s taking cash are paying taxes on it , No problem !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The only doctor locally who takes sub patients doesn't accept any form of insurance. Unless I want to drive an hour away, this is my one and only option. So I have to pay $500 per quarter I believe and she takes care of all of my healthcare needs, including the suboxone. What sucks is that I have excellent health insurance that I am not frigging using. I love my doctor but I really wish she would just take the damn insurance. This whole program she has going sucks.

Also, she does have a program where you can pay less but only be treated for certain things. She didn't offer that program to me even after telling her I didn't want to change my doctor. I think she needs the patients and the money as it is a newer clinic. As soon as another local option opens up, I am going to ask her if I can get on that program. Then it will probably only be about $50 per month.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I see my doctor every 3 months and he takes my insurance, so I only pay $15 per visit ($5 per month). Damn, I didn't realize how freakin' lucky I am.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK, my story gets even a little bit better, I had just forgot this part. My sub doc, from day 1 asked that her patients go see a counselor (I believe it's part of the sub prescribing rules?), anyway, no problem. I get in with a good counselor and have over a year under my belt with him. My next sub app't she informs me that SHE is going to be hosting meetings at her office once per week and that all her patients need to drop their counselors and attend HER meetings. $20 a head.

I refused, told her I had all this time invested with my counselor and wasn't dropping him, she finally relented.

Anyway, that would have been another $80 per month on top of the already exorbitant price I was paying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo wrote:
OK, my story gets even a little bit better, I had just forgot this part. My sub doc, from day 1 asked that her patients go see a counselor (I believe it's part of the sub prescribing rules?), anyway, no problem. I get in with a good counselor and have over a year under my belt with him. My next sub app't she informs me that SHE is going to be hosting meetings at her office once per week and that all her patients need to drop their counselors and attend HER meetings. $20 a head.

I refused, told her I had all this time invested with my counselor and wasn't dropping him, she finally relented.

Anyway, that would have been another $80 per month on top of the already exorbitant price I was paying.

To my knowledge there is no legal requirement that a suboxone patient be in counseling. My suboxone prescriber certainly encourages it, but it's not required by law as far as I know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My family and I are switching back to my dad’s health insurance plan from my moms. So right now I’m in the 50 to 100 a month cat but starting the New Year ill is in the 50 and less. And I’m really happy to say with the suboxone film coupon ill literally pay nothing a month till the expire besides a 10 dollar copay at my dr visit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:26 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I also went to louisville ky about a yr ago and my copay was twenty twice a month and they charged my insurance seventy five dollars twice a month so one eighty a month actually total. Take care

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:45 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Oops. Each statement i got back from my work insurance had a double charge of 75. So it could have meant 150 every two weeks for a grand total of 300 a month as romeo said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:58 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thanks so far everyone-- for those who haven't 'voted', please do-- apparently you need to place the vote BEFORE you comment, or go back and reload the thread and then the poll comes up again.

I'm hoping to get a large set of numbers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:51 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Just for the doctor visits, it's is 70 bucks for medication management but I have insurance so I pay 10.60. Now once Jan 1 gets here my first 5'appointments will be really high for doc and counselor until I hit the deductable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

'Junkie' is correct-- in order to have the certificate to prescribe buprenorphine a practitioner must 'have the ability to do counseling or to refer for counseling, if counseling is indicated.' Whether it is indicated and the nature of the counseling is left to the physician.

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:02 pm 
I think part of the problem is that all of the $ amounts appear twice. For example, my doc charges $150, so I could have chosen 100-150 or 150-200. Maybe if you change the choices to 150-199, 200-250, etc.
Also, I'm assuming you're looking for cost before insurance, if any.

Thanks for all you do.
Lilly

Post subject: I'm back....unfortuately
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Doc,

I just got back on subs this week and I actually had to pay $0 (Zero) dollars for my script, although the Dr visit went up to $80 for cash payment. This same doctor used to charge me $25/visit and my meds were $60/month (after a prior authorization) with my old insurance. I now work for a hospital and can only use my insurance at my primary care provider (which I did not want to see....due to the nature of my job and ready acess to opiates on a daily basis, seeing as how I am still on my probationary period). So basically I just paid cash and did not complain (I know for a fact that last time I paid cash he only charged me $60). But the good new is that my Dr. gave me a $75off coupon and after they ran my new insurance at the pharmacy (no prior auth required) it was free...nothing....nada...zip! I got 45 of the new strips (absolutely free) and am back on the program for a total of $80/month.....I am currently holed up in a room trying to get through these crucial first few days (again...I know I will never learn)!!!! I am looking forward to getting back on the forum and reading the new topics and adding my input. Thanks for everything you do!!!!! -Steve

Post subject: i am in ohio
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

in ohio every doctor i called wanted atleast 300 for the first visit and 150 to 200 for every visit after. MONTHLY!! Not to mention the meds are about 400 a month Ihave no insurance and cannot afford this. I have no kids and cannot qualify for cheaper treatment. Not to mention the closest clinic is an hour a way. There is other ones like 30 miles away but they want you to do counsiling 3 times a week for 2-4 hours each time I have no license so this makes it impossible for me to go to a place that does have it a little cheaper. but in the long run the time the gas it would still equal out to be so o o o expensive

Post subject: Re: Cost of treatment
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The doctors I was seeing was charging $450 per visit before they all got arrested for that amoung other things.

Post subject: Re: Cost of treatment
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:21 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

my office visits are $160.00 monthly and of course there are no refills. Even after 1 year. And then he wanted me to pay an additional 3500.00 for group therapy sessions for 90days.