It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Cost
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:40 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I didn't know where to put this subject? I know complaining doesn't help, but I hate the high cost. I don't have insurance, lost employee insurance, and the high risk insurance is expensive. Currently not employed, student and my husband is self-employed. I've been denied insurance because I sought substance abuse treatment.
Even if I had insurance again, I don't know if I would have them pay for it? Cuz then it would be on my insurance records.
I'm able to pay for the sub only by going without other things. The cost really deters people from using sub. Apparently some insurance companies refuse to pay for the med?
Sorry this is off topic. I pay about $6.00 for an 8mg pill. What do others pay? Does your insurance pay?

Post subject: Denied Insurance?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

OMG! Denied insurance for seeking substance abuse treatment. That scares me. I just started taking Suboxone this week. Is that considered substance abuse treatment? What if I get a new job with different insurance or even the same insurance, can they deny me for my prescriptions? That is crazy to me. I know someone who was on Loratabs and then Norco for back pain. He eventually had back surgery and after his recovery he asked his doctor for Suboxon to deal with any withdrawals he might have. Can he be denied insurance as well? This seems crazy to me? I am scared now of not having insurance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey! That is very unfortunately about your insurance company!
I find it interesting that you pay 6.00 for an 8mg pill because when I was at that dosage it was over $20 per pill. That obviously has something to do with the fact that I live in CANADA and Suboxone has only really been here since '07. My insurance covers the cost of the Suboxone but sometimes the pharmacy has made me pay out of pocket for carries which they claimed were not covered (my insurance company however DOES).
I am so lucky that I am covered but if I was not I would be so upset right now because I like many people moved to suboxone from methadone (which is $5 a day here per drink; more insurance companies also cover methadone rather than Suboxone)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: cost
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

When I posted this I didn't mean to scare anyone away from suboxone. It has helped to save my life, along with recovery. But the cost beats being in active addiction, or an accidental overdose, cuz we are risk takers and think we are pharmacists, myself included.
Everyone needs to educate themselves about addiction (a chronic disease) and insurance. Unfortunately insurance companies do not like to pay for "preexisiting conditions", including heart, diabetes etc. I could go on but I won't, just be careful about changing insurances or trying to get it on your own.
The good news is doctors can put 1-2 patients on a drug assistance program, if their willing to participate, and if you meet the income guidelines. Also I hear that suboxone will go generic later this year which should drive down the cost.
In the end we all have to decide how much our life is worth, and we only go once thru this life.
Kilby5.0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well the way I look at it is, I was spend around $200 a day on pills. Now I am only spending $75 dollars a month. Even if you don't have insurance it will probably be cheaper than a bad drug problem. But honestly how much is being sober worth to you? I know its alot more than $75 a month to me. Since I have quit using I have saved $4,800. I have been putting the amount I was spend a day into a high yield savings account. It is scary looking back at how much I was spending on that crap. I would pay $500 a month for my Suboxone. It has saved my life.....

Post subject: high costs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i'm sorry to see you are in about the same situation as me. i've been on suboxone treatment for 4 weeks after years of buying street pain meds and o.c.'s were my best freind for years. now i thought that putting myself on subs would be a great option i also have no insurance and i take 3 8mg. pills a day so i'm spending $120 a week for my pills, paying $60 a week to see the dr. and now he wants me in counseling or he won't write me any more scripts. i have an appt. for an evaluation this week and thats $125 dollars when you add all that up its as exspensive as buying drugs off the street. the only benefit i see on being on suboxone is that i get to enjoy being extremely depressed, bored out of my mind, and the constant worry of how i'm gonna pay for all this stuff. too bad the pharms wouldn't front me some pills till payday then it would just be like buyin off the street. minus the buzz ofcourse. startin to think i may have made a mistake getting on this stuff.

Post subject: cost
PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

guys i'm sorry in my last post i was so negitive i'm really trying to follow my treatment through till the end. but the cost is a legitimate gripe. that and the dr. i see (he's the only liscensed to dispence sub) treats me like i'm a scumbag. i dont take any other drug or drink at all and i came to him for help i wasn't forced into it but he makes me see him once a week asks me every visit what other drugs i am abusing and has drug tested me twice in four weeks. do all sub drs. treat their patients like they are criminals ? i'm going broke and confused on if i made the right choice or not. even though i think suboxone is a wonderfull drug to combat opiate addiction.

Post subject: No insurance?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:53 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Anyone who doesn't have insurance, go to pscard.com. I am on four prescriptions a month including suboxone, and and have no insurance. The PS card saves me $60/month. Without the card i paid exactly $254.66 per month. With it I pay exactly $194.44. It's free, and works at most pharmacies. You'll save over 50% on any generic prescriptions, but unfortunately there is no generic suboxone so it only saves you about 30 cents a pill on subs. Every little bit helps....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:28 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I just wanted to say that my insurance initially didn't cover Soboxone. However, my prescribing doctor sent a pre-approval form to my insurance and it has been approved ever since. I assume this pre-approval letter states that it is a needed medication to treat my addiction. They only approve it for 6 months at a time but as long as my Doc re-sends another pre-approval letter the keep extending it for another 6 months. I would recommend anyone who has insurance that is told the medication is not covered to call their insurance company and ask about pre-approvals for medications. And just FYI but 8mg Soboxen cost $7 each in Pennsylvania. I hope this info helps someone.

Post subject: Generic?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I read recently that Suboxone is going generic in the fall! so the cost should go down hopefully!