It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: $ COST $
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:59 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

When I started taking Sub I was on the company's patient assistance program but the company changed it policy to allow assistance for only one year, the reason being that a patient should be down to 4 mil a day in a year, a reasonable and affordable maintenance dose according to the company.

Does anyone know if there's a significant cost savings with subutex?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I believe brand name Subutex is even more expensive than Suboxone, but if you get the generic you will save some money. I don't know exactly the savings per pill though. You could call your pharmacy for an exact price. They will vary store to store. But I'm sure someone will come along with better information than I have.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I didnt have any problems getting generic Suboxone. It cost me a little under $3 for 8mg.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:32 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Dr. K

What dosage are you currently taking? Also, you mentioned a "company policy". Are you referring to a change in policy from health insurance that you recieve through you'r place of employment? Just wondering.

Anyways, Im currently prescribed Subutex. I was taking Suboxone prior to becoming pregnant though. I have experience with all three tablets...Suboxone 8mg, Subutex 8mg, Buprenorphin 8mg(generic Subutex). I don't have insurance, and I can tell you for certain- in my state, La., Generic Subutex is definitely LESS expensive. It's about 1/3rd of the price of the brand Subutex and less than half the price of Suboxone.

Also, though it took me awhile to adjust and accept this...the generic Subutex WORKS JUST FINE. I do find that it's dissolving time may be a little longer than that of the brand Subutex or Suboxone. And, IMO... the brand Subutex MAY be slightly stronger than the generic. But not strong enough to constitute paying three times more!!
I'd call around to you'r local pharmacies and ask if they carry the generic and what the price difference is, as it seems to vary from state to state. Let us know how you make out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:09 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Just paid $80 for 45 ...8mg pills generic subutex from sams club. Join as a business member foot extra 40% off

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:12 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Just paid $80 for 45 ...8mg pills generic subutex from sams club. Join as a business member foot extra 40% off

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I don't know if you were aware of the 45$ savings coupons you can use towards your script of the Suboxone Film... They had a coupon for 75$ off a month for quite some time, although after that promotion ended the 45$ savings is now offered, I'm new here & I'd imagine most of you all are already aware of this coupon, but for those of you who are not it's helpful with lowering the cost of your monthy co-pay or full pay for those of us without insurance...

Post subject: cost
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:32 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

In my state, I noticed that Suboxone/Subutex got more expensive this year (in VA, although the price I'm getting is from my insurance company's comparo site). And whenever I price generic buprenorphine it's actually more expensive than brand Subutex. This is normal for a generic to be comparably still expensive when it is first introduced, but by now it should be considerably less expensive. I guess maybe the price is decided by region? Does anyone know if more than one company makes the generic? That can be an important factor on cost. Whenever I price it it is still more. I need to call Sam's though, maybe they are better. I am a bit hesitant to ask my doc for Subutex, because I don't want him to be suspicious of me for any reason. However, I've been on Sub for 20 months and I've never been a needle user and he knows that, so maybe he will do it. I have Medicare which luckily covers Suboxone and Suboxone.

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

As far as generic buprenorphine (Subutex) goes, Roxane Labs was the first to release a generic version. Teva produces it now too, but I've heard it's not as readily available as the Roxane product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm pretty sure if you have medicaid or medicare you can only get Subutex if you're either a.) Pregnant or b.) Have some sort of medical condition that requires no nalaxone like an allergy or such...(I use to work for DHHS so from research I know that info, but I could be wrong & guidelines may have changed as it's been over a year since I worked there) Also, I believe that the Roxanne Labritories are who produce the generic Subutex 54/411's...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Dr.K
I was very curious about how to get inrolled in the P.A. Program.. if you could either pm me or reply here on how to go about doing that I'd greately appreciate it, I am a little afraid to ask my doctor about it as I don't know what his reaction would be, he's a very unique type of doctor (imo) lol so I'd feel more comfortable going to him with the info rather than him making one of his "remarks"... Thanks!

Post subject: $ COST $
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 4:49 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

[b][i]
Creel, I see where you say you have Medicare and they pay for your Suboxone. I have Humana thru Medicare. I'm wondering if you ever had any problems getting them to pay for the Suboxone.
I've been on the phone with them everyday trying to get them to cover it. They just told me this morning that my case is a life threatening situation but nothing they can do just yet. Since my Dr. office will not help me I'm on my own trying to get approved.
Anyway,I was just wondering if you've had any problems trying to get then to pay for it.

Thanks.

Marie

Post subject: Teva vs Roxane
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

annabella65 wrote:
As far as generic buprenorphine (Subutex) goes, Roxane Labs was the first to release a generic version. Teva produces it now too, but I've heard it's not as readily available as the Roxane product.

[font=Comic Sans MS]I live in SoCal, just east of San Diego and Teva generic subutex seems to be readily available.
I have been taking Roxane Lab's brand. And I really don't care for them.
I stopped by my home town drug store the other day and the pharmacist said that he could match the price that I have been paying a pharmacy in another town nearby. And the G. 'Tex would come from Teva Labs, even though he said Teva's price was higher than Roxane's. I never stopped by there in the past because I thought that they would not even know what Sub was. They were in disaray a year ago or so, but now seem to be well organized, and they want my business.
I don't really care for Roxane's brand. But I've heard others say that Teva's is not so good, either. The concensus I took in 2 different forums, seem to favor Teva. So, I'll be anxiously awaiting to put Teva to the test...
Hopefully, I won't take as many p/ day, w/ Teva, and eventually start cutting down on my doses per day. I have a difficult time w/ Roxane,(you never know; sometimes a half a pill is 3 times better than 1 whole pill, w/ Roxane).
I would appreciate anyone elses feedback on this subject....
Thank you,,,,
[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:08 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

RSF,

Im prescribed Subutex too. Most of the time (because of cost) I go with the generic as well.......from Roxanne lab. I do find these tablets to be quite hard......and it seems like it takes much longer than Suboxone or even the name brand Subutex to dissolve. I agree, I think its easier to get decent absorption with the Roxa generics......by only taking half a tablet. I don't have any experience with the Teva brand, as I don't believe my pharmacy carries it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'll know in 2 weeks about the Tevas, and I will let you know Marie.
What I do is; Try shopping around at different pharmacies. Or simply ask the the store where you are purchasing your Roxane's and ask them if they can order you the Teva Labs brand.
I was procuring my meds out of town, simply because I thought that our small local store was having some trouble changing ownership, etc... The store seems to be on top of things now and I asked the pharmacist if he could order from Teva and match the other pharmacy's price and, Bingo, he wanted my business and said he could do it.
I'm also curious to see if the Teva brand will cut in half easier. I have truoble w/ the Roxane's, when I try to cut them, they bang crumbs out everywhere. Seems like Roxane could atleast make a score line on the backside of the pill!(Cheapskates!!!)...
He also told me that normally the Teva Labs brand cost more than Roxane's. Mmmmm, I wonder why?
As for the absorbtion and hardness, what I do, is warm my mouth w/ hot OJ before I melt. This really seems to help....
Later...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

positivetj wrote:

[font=Comic Sans MS]Did you mean that is what you paid as a member? ($80. for #45)???
And are they from Roxane Labs
[/font]?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:00 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

i take generic subutex and get my rx filled at sam's club. i get an additional 40 percent off with my plus membership which is (50 or 100 bucks but pays for itself in one fill), anyway, w/o the card, it's 180 for 60 8mg tablets where i live... 40% off with card. btw, you do not have to have the card to fill there but you can only use cash or visa, i believe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:40 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

wow, you guys get your subs for so cheap!

In vancouver, canada Im paying 55$ for a weeks script of 8 8mg suboxone and the pharmacy doesn't carry any generics :(
I didn't shop around and just went to the pharmacy next to the clinic. Before I get my next script filled I will call around and see if walmart or a one nearby stocks subs.....

Then again I can't really complain coming from a 400$/week habit...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:31 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I just switched from suboxone 8mg tab, to buprenorphine 8mg tab.
The cost saving is unbelieveable, I went from $650.00 a month, down to $175.00 a month for 90 tabs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

604 wrote:
wow, you guys get your subs for so cheap!

In vancouver, canada Im paying 55$ for a weeks script of 8 8mg suboxone and the pharmacy doesn't carry any generics :(
I didn't shop around and just went to the pharmacy next to the clinic. Before I get my next script filled I will call around and see if walmart or a one nearby stocks subs.....

Then again I can't really complain coming from a 400$/week habit...

I guess you're speaking about normal, Recket-Benck. Suboxone 8mg-2mg tablets...being that price...Actually that's about average for them...what you're paying is not that much higher than what they are at cost for the drug stores.

I used to be GREAT friends with the pharmacist at the local Fred's pharmacy, he and I would stand around and talk for an easy 30-45 minutes...just shooting random bull while he worked...everything from drug costs to people abusing oxy's was in our conversations -- he even told me of a guy who WAS PRESCRIBED BY A PH.D..#3 80mg Oxycontin per day, #6 Lortab 10/650 per day, something like #90 Xanax 2m/g per day...and the same guy got mad when my RX friend wouldn't refill his Oxy script 1 week early. Said the guy cursed him out, etc, etc, but Jim told me that he KNEW what the guy was doing and he wasn't going to be a party to it...and that he didn't like having to be ordered to fill that kind of cocktail from a doctor, but he was definitely not going to let him get those pills any earlier than 1 or 2 days before time...And then after that conversation..I went in again a few weeks later..and Jim (the RX) told me that the guy died. GUESS WHAT HE DIED FROM???

Anyway..Jim, the RX friend...told me what the cost was for Fred's to buy Suboxone from Reckitt-Benckiser (SP)...and it was right around 5.90 I believe...I know it was over $5.50, but I can't be for sure on the exact change..
My price that I paid before my wife got this WONDERFUL insurance policy from Southern Company/Alabama Power was at 6.90 EA PILL. A months script was costing me...you guessed it..#90 x 6.90.
Lot of money to pay for meds..and I normally had a LARGE backstock at the pharmacy because I couldn't afford to get them...but since having insurance, I just buy my months supply now, and the insurance policy that I am on has a cap...we don't pay any higher for our meds than what the cap is..and Suboxone is considered a Brand, Non-Formulary drug, so it's in the highest tier, which the cap for that tier is $80/per month.

I know firsthand how difficult it is to buy suboxone when you have to pay full price for it. That was partly the reason that I slid back so many times from starting Suboxone therapy into doing Oxycontins or lortabs again...but I finally had enough and made myself where I could do something to afford it. Started doing odd / in computer work for people to make extra money and that mostly covered my prescriptions most months..sometimes I would even have to pawn something to get my meds...but you have to consider that both my wife and I were laid off work and drawing unemployment...so we had NO extra money and used all our savings during the layoff period for bills to stay afloat...thankfully she got into the Alabama Power plant and has a great paying job with wonderful benefits now.