It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My crazy ass suboxone doctor has sent me a bill and is holding my suboxone chart notes hostage until I pay him $95.00!!!! He cannot be frigging serious. First of all....he keeps the records on his computer and only has to hit print. He claims there are 80 pages but I only saw him 52 times so I cannot possibly imagine how that accounts for 80 pages of chart notes. That is unless he actually wrote in the chart notes what occurred during my appointments which would be accounts of his love life, online dating, and how wonderful and smart he is. Then I am sure we could have 160 pages of chart notes. But since he never asked me ANYTHING about me I don't know what he would have in the chart notes to account for 80 pages. He knows NOTHING about me.

Has anyone ever heard of a doctor charging this much for chart notes? Can they do this?

I wasn't going to file a complaint against him but I think I am going to because this is disgusting.

GRRRRR!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi jackcrack,

I looked this up in my state (Michigan) a while back. Here there is a limit to what they can charge you, I believe it's per page. You might want to do a Google search for you state. Or better yet go to your state's website.

Also, I think part of the federal HIPAA laws apply to medical records. I found this on privacyrights.org:

"HIPAA says you can be charged a "reasonable, cost-based fee." This means you can be charged for supplies and staff time for copying your records. You can also be charged for mailing records, if mailing is what you request. But, you should not be charged for time spent searching for your records. Nor, should a provider have a policy of charging all patients a flat fee."

Because $95 to me sounds like a bit much. Good luck.

Melissa

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Per WAC he has charged the maximum rate allowed in WA state. I am unsure about holding them hostage. But here is my question since this guy is a money hungry whack job.....I wouldn't put it past him to select a print option to generate MORE pages of information so he could charge more. I mean....how much space could an appointment take up?

Name
Dosage
Pill count
UA results
Do I have any cravings? "No"
Are you still in therapy? "Yes"
Every so often.....Do you want to taper? "No"

I mean.....they can print more than one appointment per page if they want I am sure and you could stick at least 6 of my visits on the same page so where the hell are 80 pages of information coming from?

I am not paying him. Bottom line. I AM going to send him 2 checks from the insurance company that require his signature. I AM going to write a comment on the Web MD thing he always wanted me to write on (only I am not saying anything good). I am going to file a complaint against him for multiple reasons and hopefully he gets his license suspended again. I was being nice by remaining silent....but he is so ARROGANT that he thinks he will F*** with me. Bring it on buddy. I am going to fuck with him now and we shall see how he likes it. He can cost me $95 but I can cost him his career.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Found it.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi again Jackcrack,

I had some time so I checked out the law regarding medical records for Washington state. Here's what I found. It didn't say if you have to pay first. This is really expensive compared to Michigan!

Melissa

WAC 246-08-400 Agency filings affecting this section
How much can a medical provider charge for searching and duplicating medical records?
RCW 70.02.010(15) allows medical providers to charge fees for searching and duplicating medical records. The fees a provider may charge cannot exceed the fees listed below:

(1) Copying charge per page:
(a) No more than one dollar and two cents per page for the first thirty pages;
(b) No more than seventy-eight cents per page for all other pages.
(2) Additional charges:
(a) The provider can charge a twenty-three dollar clerical fee for searching and handling records;
(b) If the provider personally edits confidential information from the record, as required by statute, the provider can charge the usual fee for a basic office visit.
(3) This section is effective July 1, 2009, through June 30, 2011.
(4) HIPAA covered entities: See HIPAA regulation Section 164.524 (c)(4) to determine applicability of this rule.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know. And he is a bigger whack job than I thought if he thinks I am paying it. I am NOT paying it. He can frigging send me to collections and then I will just have to copy my post about crazy doctors and send a letter to the collections company. We shall see how he likes it then. I will get what I need out of him and make sure I don't need anything more and then I will file a complaint and make note to him that I wouldn't be having to pay all of this EXTRA money for a new doctor if he had any ethics to begin with. I cannot stand this arrogant disgusting man.

Oh....and I have a way to find out if he charges everyone at this rate and if he doesn't, I will include that in my complaint that there has been retalization against me because of the business transaction which jeopardizes my treatment and also shows what a WHACK JOB he is.