It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:20 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

So when I was in the suboxone program I was on upwards of 24mg per day. Granted, it has been 5 years since that time so my tolerance is next to nothing. The only problem I'm having is with finding the correct dose. I'm one of those weird cases that never had an opiate addiction in the first place and started off with suboxone. I know, giving more suboxone for someone who only has ever had suboxone seems a little out of practice but the doctors let me do it. So anyways, when I would take it before I got into treatment I would take around 4mg, mind you with little or no tolerance, and feel great and rarely get sick. In fact, most times I'd take it would be at school. If I did get sick, I'd still feel great for like 5 hours, throw up once, and be over it.

So recently I decided to try my hand at it again. Note I only took around 0.5, somewhere around there, maybe 1mg cuz it's hard to tell with the pills. Actually I took a little crumb, waited a hour, felt nothing, and then took a little bit more. I venture to guess it was somewhere around 0.5-1mg. So the reason I took so little is because I've read so many posts around here saying that's all you need if you have no tolerance. However, I barely felt anything at all and yet got pretty nauseated. I ended up throwing up like 5 times, thankfully only water came out so it wasn't that bad. So now that about a month has passed since then I'm ready to give it another try. However, I'm wondering if I should take more or less. Reasons I would take less would be to avoid the nausea, however I barely felt anything when I took my last dose so I might need more. On the other hand I don't want to get twice or even three times as sick as I was if I take too large of a dose.

So what do you think? And what is the recommended dose for one with no opiate tolerance? Please don't only respond with angry responses about how I should not even be using the medication because I don't need it and I'm not using it in the same exact way as all of you. People need it for different reasons. That would be like berating the customer who goes to McDonalds just because they enjoy it, as opposed to all the fat people who go there because they have to satisfy their craving.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I really hate to bump this if you're just looking for "how to get high and not die" type bullshit, but the spirit of harm reduction compels me to ask a few questions... Can you tell us why you're taking Buperenorphine and what you want to achieve from it? The answer is dependent on that question. I don't expect there to be much of a helpful response unless you give us some info to work with. This is a harm reduction forum for people prescribed or considering bupe as maintenance therapy, no hate implied.

Edit: I forgot to include, Bupe is a powerful drug and will escalate tolerance to a balance almost immediately compared to other drugs, but is self limiting up to that balance and provides no benefit other than maintenance after. If you aren't taking it to help with an active addiction you will be setting yourself up for awful things!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:40 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

PDW169 - It sounds like you've already made up your mind to take subs but I'm concerned about you. You don't have an addiction that you're treating and you're messing around with a medication that you know is very powerful. Maybe I don't understand what it is you are trying to achieve. Are you looking to just get a nice buzz for a while until your tolerance kicks in? If you used to take 24mg's a day you know that tolerance will kick in very quickly if you're going to be taking it every day.

I know you don't want to hear it but I think you're playing with fire. This is not an angry reply but please see it from our perspective as addicts. We need this to survive and for quality of life. You already admit to taking maybe 1mg and it made you sicker than a dog and yet you seem very eager to try it again. That's why I think you should be a little more honest about your motives. I can understand if you want to get high, but how are you going to fool your doctor to prescribe it to you.

The only other reason I can think of is maybe you're having a lot of cravings and thoughts about getting back into drugs and you want something relatively safe to take. You know what subs are like since you took them in the past, so you know what to expect. Is that why you want to get back on them even though you're not currently addicted to anything?

- OM

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:06 am 

PDW I'm confused. Is this what ur saying...... ur not an addict and the only thing u have abused is suboxone. U have been in suboxone treatment years ago and the highest dose was 24mg at one time. Then at some point u were on 4mg and now a tiny dose is making u sick at times since u no longer have a tolerance to suboxone or anything else. Now u want to take suboxone again and ur wondering what dose u can take without getting sick. I don't know if I got all that correct or not but that's how I understood it.

If ur having cravings for buprenorphine, isn't that why ur wanting to take it again? I know I seem confused and that's because I am. I don't know if ur considered an addict because I don't know u personally, but if ur craving a medicine and trying to 'feel' something from it plus having a history of taking it in the past, that sounds a bit like addict behavior. I can't think of any other reason you'd want to take it other than to get some type of high from it if ur not already dealing with addiction and need it to help save ur life.

Regardless of all that, to answer ur question, I'm not sure. If a super tiny dose is making u sick, then it's just to strong for u. That will change if u continue to take it though because u will eventually build up a tolerance to it. And that's another thing that confuses me because once u have a tolerance to buprenorphine, u don't feel anything from the medicine any longer. Maybe a little bit of an energy boost but nothing I would have chosen bk in my active addiction days.

I'm sorry I didn't understand very well, ur question was a little different than the usual questions we usually see here. It isn't very often someone has a question about tolerance who has zero tolerance lol I think that's where the confusion comes in.