It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:48 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I've been on suboxone for close to 4 years, with a six month period being off it. I am currently on my third doctor, as the first was in NYC, about 3 hours away, and my second doctor retired. My current doctor has been great for the most part. Recently I began to taper off my meds. Although I wasn't quite ready I agreed to it because I thought that would make the docotr happy.(I am people pleaser). Anyway, through counseling I realized that I am just not ready nor do I want t come off suboxone at this time. I am 32 years old, married, a father and the owner of a small pizza and sub shop. My wife works full time as well and for the most part I am the primary care taker of our daughter as my wife works later hours and my schedule is a bit more flexible as I can take some evenings off. With my crazy schedule and zero freetime I just couldn't see myself succesfully tapering off suboxone. Further, I found myself beginning to think about buying my pills off the street to supplement for the taper. Anxiety and depression have also been symptoms. So I approached my docotor about maybe staying on suboxone indefinitely explaining to him that things havent been as rosy as I had led on and that I just wasn't ready right now. He argued a little bit that I a 32 years old and it is time to come off and that I shouldn't be on it the rest ofmy life. I told him that I really didn't want to be on it the rest of my life but also wan't ready to set a date to come off either. After a lengthy discussion he decided to increase my dosage to previous levels from 6mg to 8mg and stop the taper, but with a stipulation. He insisted that I go get a psych evaluation to see if i have any bipolar or other psych issues. I agreed to do so even though I'm pretty sure I don't have any deep rooted psychological issues. I tried to explain to him that my biggest cause of anxiety and depression was coming off these pills. I tried to draw the paralell that if a diabetic patient was asking to stay on his or her meds, he most likely would not force them to come off. But like most "regular" people my doctor sees addiction as a disease, but treats it differently than any other disease. By the way, we have tried several different anti anxiety meds to no avail. They either make my jumpy or spacey. I told him that I feel best just taking suboxone and ask why was it so important that come off? All he could say was, "you can't stay on a narcotic forever". Anyway, I guess I am just frustrated that my doc is making me get a psych evaluation in order to stay on these meds. I am an addict yes, but I am not crazy nor am I bi polar. I continue to attend NA meetings and go to counseling. The counseling sessions have been great and I have been able to work through some issues. NA has been ok but I feel like a bit of an outsider being on the suboxone. The reason the doctor gave me for my psych evalution is to see if I need to be on some other kind of medication for my anxiety. I find this ironic that he thinks its ok to be on some anti axiety meds or heavy drugs lik lithium, but yet I tell him that suboxone is the "perfect" drug for me and he thinks I am crazy. I know the root of my anxiety is the fact that I am not ready to come off suboxone nd really nothing else. Of course I tress about money but who doesn't. I just wish that more doctors wouldn't see suboxone as a necessary evil. And treat addiction as the disease that it is. When I am on the proper dosage of suboxone, I experience little anxiety, no depression, I sleep well and my life generally runs well. When I try to taper down things get erratic and I begin to indulge in risky behavior. So if my taking this medication isn't hurting me or anyone else, than why is my doctor in such a hurry to get me off? And why does it make me"crazy" to want to stay on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:58 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I had the exact same problem minus the psych eval. but finally my Dr. came to me smiling and said that if the program is working for you (and it has) and you are back to being a productive citizen and Father then why change anything. After all addiction is a lifelong "illness" so why don't we treat it as such. I have been on Suboxone for about 7 years now and only had 1 relapse early on! I was one of his first patients and his "model client" LOL Really though he said that because of my age (near 40) and the amount I was using and the length of my addiction period that I would be a great candidate for maintenance. I agreed happily and I also have the option to taper at anytime I want. He went on to say that he prefers to get the "younger kids" (18-30) that only been using for a year or less in & out on a 6 month program coupled with counseling for D&A and complete the program. I know I'm jumping all over the place but it's early yet and still on my first cup of coffee! haha
I hope this sheds a little light
-Jay (CC_Rider) I'm a DeadHead too! -LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:44 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I currently have a great doctor in Florida whose doctor visits are cheap and let's me control how long I am on it. Only I know when I'm truly ready to come off. I am going back to NY to live and I am scared I won't find a doctor who is willing to help as much. Plus, my regular doc in NY first sub visit costs over $700 which I don't have. I don't know what to do.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Did you ask your current doctor if he/she would continue treatment even if you relocate to NY? Maybe if you're stable and he/she trusts you he/she might be willing to do this. Suboxone is also a schedule III drug, which means that you can refill it up to 6 times, I think (unless because its the special DEA prescription this may not be the case)