It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: convincing my doc
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:47 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

New poster here but have been reading the forums for awhile so "hello" to you all.
on to the topic-
I am chronic relapser. I am 41 yo and have been hooked on one supstance or another since my teens. my cycle goes something like this: use until it is out of control (which doesnt take long) then sober up for a few months to a year or maybe two then do it all over again. this has happened many times through out my life and has included rehap on 3 seperate occasions. I know what it takes to stay sober and work my recovery but for reasons not completly understood and quite complex it doesnt work for me very long (I know I know :roll: ). 2 1/2 years ago the cycles drug was opiods. 1 year of methadone and the last 1 1/2 on Sub. For me Sub has been a good solution as it passifies that inner itch and keeps me as close to normal as I think normal is. At the beginning of the year my old doc said it was time to taper. Knowing I didnt feel the same I sought out a new doc. He also explained this cant go on forever and I agreed ( although currently I dont see why). Anyway he has been after me the last couple of months to start to taper but I have been reluctant. I am going in to see him on Tues and he will suggest it again. BTW he is a child phsycologist that prescribes sub but doesnt appear to offer any type of treatment or counciling so it may be a cash generator for him. I have good insurance and thought about seeing if he would be interested in some addditional appointments to provide some additional income. It cost me $350 for my first visit and 150 each month wich incudes about 10 min of disscusion and a scrip. I dont feel that getting off or even beggining to taper is good for me right now. My family, buisness and life is at stake. My question is how do I convince him to keep going. at this point he hasnt pushed too hard but I think it may be coming. My perspective is that I have a desease and the medication I use effectively treats my disease. some day I may feel I am ready to step away from sub but when I dont know. I had a physical at the end of last year and liver function is good so as long as I keep tabs on that I cant find any long term negative effects. Any advice on dealing with my doc? thanks in advance. P.S. I am attending NA meetings on a regular basis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi birdcatcher, welcome to the forum.

I'm glad to hear that you're doing well on Suboxone. Your story about your doctor wanting you to taper even though you don't think you are ready is a pretty common one. Good on you for seeking out a new doctor.

As to how you can convince your doctor that you need to stay on Sub; all you can really do is be honest with him. Let him know that you are open to the possibility of tapering, but also let him know about your fears. Make sure he is aware of your history of chronic relapse. If your addiction worsened with each successive relapse, let him know that too. Make sure he knows how much more functional your life is now because of Suboxone.

Ask him lots of questions. Like, how will he be supportive of your recovery if you begin to taper and your cravings and urges to use return? Would he then be open to you returning to maintenance? Can he recommend a good addiction counselor who could help you work through these issues? Has he had many patients taper off Suboxone? Have those patients been able to remain abstinent? Has he read any of the research about higher success rates with longer term use of Suboxone? How does he determine if a patient is ready to taper? Is it just a time thing...or does he look for evidence that the person has developed coping skills and a good support system?

Some of these questions are for you to get information...others are just to get him thinking about issues you want him to think about.

If you decide you want to stay on Suboxone, you may have to keep looking for a doctor who is willing to let you stay on indefinitely...if this doctor doesn't come around. I was lucky to find a doctor like that - he really didn't pressure me at all. And while I originally thought I would stay on Sub for a really long time, I came to a point in my treatment when I knew I was ready to taper. So I think it's good to have a doctor who is supportive and has an open mind. You don't want someone arbitrarily forcing you off Suboxone. But be open to hearing your doctor's rationale for why he is suggesting tapering. Then you can respectfully give him your thoughts on the issue.

You might want to schedule a longer appointment to talk about this stuff with him so you're not rushed. Hope this helps, and good luck.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:43 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

thanks D. I will incorporate your suggestions into our next appointment and report back.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:39 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

well my appointement did not go as well as I had hoped. After being honest and making it clear that I am not ready to change anything at this point he was still insistant on starting a reduction. As i walked out the door the last thing he said was " we will get you completley clean". I didnt know what to say to that. As much as I wish that to be so I dont have that confidence.
I found myself resenting my parents today as that is where I got my first drug (weed). they didnt give it to me. I took it 27 years ago. What a pain in the ass this addiction has been. Atleast the Sub has made it manageable.
Sorry just venting. anyway I am going to see a new doc tommorrow. Other than being honest is there anything that I should not say? red flag, etc. I am a little nervous. Even though I believe I am seeking medication for an illness it still feels like old behavior. i.e. drug seeking behavior.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:44 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

went to see a new doc today and was completly honest (addict in me said "that was stupid" and the sensible me said "good job"). She said "yep, its time to taper". So now I'm thinking since this is my third doc and I'm not getting what I think is best for me then maybe it is time to taper. Feels like I am "seeking" for a supplier and I dont think thats healthy. The good news is its going to be $125 cheaper every month and I feel as if she is genuinly concerned. She also seems willing to let me go at more or less my own pace and "pause" if needed as long as I am making progress. I'm sure its gonna be easy until I get below 2mg and my sissy ass is worried about that but I guess we will deal with that when the time comes. So I guess I will start reading up on the best way to get through this.