It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hello. i have been on suboxone for 2.5 yrs after 3 yrs of opiate abuse (1 yr oxy 2 yr heroin) i am extremely dependent on suboxone- i was on 3 a day up until about 2 months ago when i left my dr (personal) & now i do about a half a day. i am always groggy, tired, restless, just not feeling up to par. other than that i am happily 19 month's clean, totally transformed my life & am confident with my sobrierity, loving life :)

i am ready to get off these things, they have saved my life but their job here is done. i made a plan w my new dr to taper dowsn 1 mg each week (i'm on 4 now so by week 4 just do like every other day) my problem is that my new dr says i won't have any w/d at all so there is no need for him to medically withdraw me from school.

i don't want to sound like i have a negative anticipation on my tapering, but i know my body & i have read hundreds of personal stories with tapers like mine, & it does not seem like i would be fitted to go to school. i'm not looking for shortcut or anything-- i just don't want to miss weeks & have my grade be affected.

any advice? or any experience (if so.. for how long, how many mg, & how many mg tapering for how long?)

thank you!!!! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:04 am 

As far as I'm concerned, that taper is fast and you will feel withdrawal symptoms. I'm down to 4 mg myself and I wouldn't even consider trying to be done tapering in 4 weeks. Is you doctor open to planning a slower taper? I there a reason you have to be done so quickly? I don't know how you can convince your doctor that tapering that fast will lead to withdrawal symptoms. Maybe he would consider prescribing clonidine with really helps with withdrawal symptoms and is not habit forming. One of its off-label uses is for withdrawal symptoms.

Welcome to the forum, by the way! I'm sure that others will be along to chime in on your problem.

Take care,

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thankyou Amy! I have been on 2mg for about 3 weeks now. i have already told the woman i nanny for that i am takinga vacation dec 1-14 so that is when i need to be tapered down!! i dont know how to convince my dr.. i guess that's why i'm posting here to maybe get some similair taper stories like mine & show him. i don't want to mess up my grades-- i've already been missing because goingh from 2 a day to 1/2 (unvoluntarily, due to a family member who steals) has had me feeling terrible, gloomy, tired, unmotivated, etc. i don't know what to do! :(

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey read your post and i can def understand your concerns. Would it be possible to stay on 2mgs till the semester is over than do your final drop/taper? And I'm sure you'll have more than enough time to be ready for the next term if you went this route. And just inform your employer that you need to change the dates for your time off. You def have enough time to let her know in advance now so theres no conflict.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would highly recommend not withdrawing from school. Like Bboy said, take advantage of the couple of weeks you get off at the end of December. IMO you should easily be able to taper down from 2mg by then (1.75, 1.5, 1.25, 1.0, 0.75, 0.5) When I went off, I stayed at 0.5mg for a few weeks, and it really brought my tolerance down. I did feel really lethargic and depressed when I went off, but the majority of it was over by the middle of week 3. So if you time it for the holiday break you should be good. The clonidine is a good idea,too. I didn't use it, but a lot of people say it really helps. The important thing is to have a definite plan to maintain your sobriety after you go off. Suboxone really does cover cravings, and a lot ad people are caught off guard (like me) when those cravings kick in again - even if you haven't thought of using in months and months.
I wish you the best of luck, and keep posting to let us know how you're doing.
Lilly

P.S. looking back at your post - are you really sure you want to go off? Or are you under pressure from the fact that someone was stealing them from you?