It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: constipation
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just thought I would share my recipe for constipation. Try stool softner with laxatative (docusate sodium & sennosides) which is OTC and Fiber Choice on a daily basis. Along with water, exercise, bran cereal and fruits & vegtables. Some people have good results with Miralax which is also OTC now.
I'm sure other people have tips. Good luck.

Post subject: Chain Smoking
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:11 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, I have been on suboxone for a few months now for depression/anxiety and it is really helping me. The biggest problem I have is chain smoking. I love smoking now so much and I can sit and read magazines at night for hours just smoking one cigarette after the next. I need to stop this but I am really having a hard time. Has anyone else experienced this side effect and if so, we you able to quit? Please help. I do not want to get sick. Cancer scares me so much.

Thank you,
Larsy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am the same way. I have to have a smoke as soon as I take my Suboxone. I used to smoke maybe 1/2 a pack a day but now I smoke atleast a whole pack a day. I have not tried to quit smoking soo much yet, but I am going to the Dr. next week to start the process of coming off the Suboxone so I hope this will help me back off the smoking a little bit. I have the same cravings for smoking as I did when I was abusing Oxycontin, if not stronger. Have a great day!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Re: constipation
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:49 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Kilby5.0 wrote:
Just thought I would share my recipe for constipation. Try stool softner with laxatative (docusate sodium & sennosides) which is OTC and Fiber Choice on a daily basis. Along with water, exercise, bran cereal and fruits & vegtables. Some people have good results with Miralax which is also OTC now.
I'm sure other people have tips. Good luck.

I find activia yogurt once a day gets things moving.....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

but for my moderate use of Oxycontin (plus the constipating side effects of a RNY gastric bypass--sorry if TMI), I always found that daily docusate (Colace) 200-400 mg along with a few tabs of senna, a vegetable, mild stimulant laxative works well. MiraLax is like a super-Colace but is relatively expensive. At OTC doses it's just a powerful stool softener.

Also, keep a few glycerin suppositories (or bisacodyl supossitories when dynamite is required) when you need rapid action.

FooBear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:05 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I thought it was effexor that allowed me to smoke non-stop. I love it! But of course it's not exactly healthy. I started effexor & suboxone around the same time, so I'm still not convinced.

Also not sure which one is making me constipated! Though I'm leaning toward suboxone since opiates can do that, though heroin never constipated me. Probably because I still ate good vegetarian meals while on dope.

Sorry I don't have any recommendations for anyone, but I'm glad to know I'm not the only person experiencing these side-effects.

Post subject: relief
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

WATER, WATER, WATER..the subs are binding to your receptors in your intestine, slowing it down causing your bowel to absorb more water out of your ...well poo, to fix this drink lots and lots of water. And fiber and softeners also help, but i'd stick with all natural H2O

Post subject: magnesium
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

i found a magnesium supplement that works wonders.

it's called "Natural Calm". it's a raspberry lemon flavored powder you mix in hot water. it fizzes and bubbles.

it seems to be marketed toward stress reduction but is the only "natural" thing that works for me consistently.

like, to such extent that it makes ya go like normal.. like you didn't even take anything and you're not even constipated in the first place. no cramps, no runs, no "suprises"

Aces!

jp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I tried many things to get rid of constipation, but it turns out that the simplest solution turned out to be also the most effective for me.

What I did was to start getting up an hour before, and NOT take my sub before the end of that our. I quietly watch TV, have a nice cup of tea, and before you know it I'm flushing 10% of my bodyweight down the drain. Seriously, before I tried this, I was shitting bricks. Well, that's a misnomer. I wasn't shitting anything, at all. It has really worked wonders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:16 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Occam's Razor! This may be old news but I recently read that the stimulant (senna) and osmotic types of laxatives are the most effective for drug induced constipation. I can't believe i am discussing constipation in a chat forum. What have I become?!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Metamucil was the answer for me.

I was doing the docusate sodium and senna gra bit and it works but senna is dependence forming.