It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Constipation....
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on sub for about 3 weeks. Before getting on the suboxone I started off using vicodin after a back injury and within a few years I was up to taking around 5 80mg oxycontin a day. I did have issues with constipation while on the oxy but nothing like what I am dealing with now. While on the oxy I would have a movement about every 3 days although it was somewhat painful. But since I have been on the sub I have gone about a week before each movement. After about 6 days I start getting bloating and stomach pains. Before that I don't even feel like I have to go. What I have done for the last three times is drink a double dose of milk of magnesia. I have been taking it at bedtime and come morning I have no problem going whatsoever. I'm just wondering how unhealthy it is to not go for a week, take the magnesia, and then have diarrhea for half the day. Using the magnesia does work and I do feel I get it all out. I have been taking fiber 2 times a day and tripling up the dose as recommended by my sub doctor but it doesn't seem to help. I have also noticed that about day 3 of no movement that I'm not as hungry and only eat about once a day so I'm also wondering if my diet may also be a cause. The first 3 days I do eat 2 to 3 healthy meals. After that I am just not hungry enough to eat more. I was taking 28 mg of sub until about 5 days ago and then dropped my dose to 12 to 14 mg hoping that would help but still having the same issue. My sub nurse warned me about becoming compacted and it has me worried. It doesn't seem like it will happen due to me being able to get it all out but that is because of the magnesia.
So I guess my question is.......Is what I am doing healthy? Is taking a laxative safe if only used once a week? Is having multiple bowel movements one a week okay on my system?
If anyone can help me out here I would appreciate it! What do you do to combat the constipation?
Thank you so much for any input!

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, I think you're doing all the right things, considering the fiber and the laxative. Personally I don't know too much about using laxatives and how much/often is too much. I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that it will get better soon, because you reduced your dosage. 28 mg is considered by many to be a pretty high dose, but now that you've gone down I think it will get better. I guess I'm one of the lucky ones - I take 24 mg/day and don't have too much trouble with constipation. But then I drink coffee and smoke cigarettes! LOL.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help. Take care.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:44 am 
Hi USMC. Sorry you're having such trouble with this. While I've been lucky and not suffered much with that particular side effect, I know many who do. You're doing the right things. I just wanted to add that increasing your fluid intake, especially good ole water, and regular exercise will help with the issue as well. Hopefully getting your dose of Sub down will help too.
You might want to try one of those "cleanse" products that is available in most health food type stores. Perhaps that would get you 'cleaned out' and feeling better. Another thing to try is a probiotic and a stool softener each day.
In a nutshell - You need stuff to encourage the intestinal tract to move, which is where the increased fluid intake and exercise comes in. You need stuff to bulk up the stool such as fiber (supplements are great), grains, fresh fruits and vegetables and avoid things like cheese, ice cream, meats and processed foods. And you need lubrication for the colon such as flax or fish oil or a stool softener such as Colace (docusate sodium).
I'm glad you have discussed this with your doctor because sometimes chronic constipation can be part of more serious problem. More than likely though, it's Suboxone-related, and the result of a less-than-optimal diet. Hope it gets better for you!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:44 am 
My daughter's pediatritian has her take Miralax every day. It's safe even for kids because its not absorbed into the body. It is a synthetic "fiber" that just passes through your system. It works and there are NO side effects. It is very expensive, but I have seen it in generic lately. Good Luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. The laxatives do say not to use for more than 7 days which I'm not doing. I'm just using them once a week. I guess my biggest concern is only going once a week and having to use a laxative to do so. It just seems like it's not healthy. My nurse did say it doesn't matter how often you go as long as you end up going. She did say it should be solid and not painful though. (Man I hate talking about this but I guess it's part of life!!) And what also worries me is I don't have to go and then the bloating and cramps start so that's when I take the laxative. I have been taking the miralax but have only been taking that on day 6 once the cramps start up. You are right, it is expensive! I think I would by gold and eat it to get through this problem though!! And care to come and recycle it for jewelry?!! I guess I could add that to the mix of fiber every day and see what happens. I have been drinking close to a gallon of water a day due to the fact of the sub dehydrating me like crazy. Does anyone else feel like the sub dehydrates you? I do have some flaxseed that I could sprinkle on my cereal in the morning. I have heard flaxseed can really help constipation. I've researched so much on the net and am willing to try everything to get back on track! I exercise some but probably not enough. I've been working 70 hours a week so it's hard to find time to exercise. My job is somewhat physical demanding so I do get some exercise at work. My diet is pretty good but I do know I need to eat more fruits and veggies. We are getting ready to plant our garden so I know my veggie intake will increase. Nothing better than fresh veggies!! If only I had an orchard to go along with the garden! Now I'm not sure about taking the ice cream out of my diet. I think I would rather deal with the constipation than to not eat ice cream! I sometimes skip a meal so I don't feel so guilty eating ice cream at night! I usually only eat it about 3 times a week but that may be too much. I guess I will try and lay off of it for awhile and see what happens. I just can't wait to get back on track. I've only had three movements in the past three weeks and it was forced by laxatives which then caused diarrhea. I have also taken a stool softener but only on day 6 once the stomach pains start. Should I take that daily?
Thanks again for all of the help and advice. I too am hoping that since I dropped my dose I will get back on track. I guess time will tell!

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:40 pm 
You can certainly safely take the stool softener every day as it doesn't do anything systemically, strictly hits the gi tract. Daily laxatives can cause problems, however, because the colon kind of gets dependent on them and refuses to 'get moving' on its own so to speak.
I do think it would be worth a try to do a 'cleanse' product. You may have to "live over paper" for a few days!! lol!! but I know folks who have gotten good results with them. And again, a probiotic can work wonders as well. That simply adds "good" bacteria back into the gut which enhances the process of making stool.
I'm not a doctor or an expert. These are just my suggestions for you. I don't think you've mentioned your age and I don't know your health history or family history at all, but if it's indicated, be sure you get your colonoscopy. If your problems persist despite all these measures, I'd go back to your doctor about it. It sounds like you're pretty miserable and I'd hate you to be missing something like IBS or colitis or such that needs treated. Let us know how it "goes" or doesn't "go" in your case!! Gotta laugh...it beats cryin'!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:27 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

USMC,

I am not a doctor, but I have had the same problem while being on sub. I found that Miralax works the best (I take it 2-3 times/week) without causing cramping and other unpleasantries. As a benefit, I have noticed that, as long as I take it at least once a week (as opposed to taking it only when I an already constipated), it seems to "prevent" constipation. Also, if this doesn’t work, I have also used Castor Oil (old home remedy from my Mom) and it worked like a charm (and tasted NASTY!!!!).
A word of warning about the total body cleanse. Setmefree is right, they do help many people. But, if you are already dehydrated (you mentioned this in an earlier post), you may want to postpone the cleanse as they flush fluids, nutrients, and electrolytes from your body…..which is not good to do if you are already dehydrated. I worked in a homeopathic clinic for several years, and they often had to “correct” overly zealous body cleanses that resulted in some pretty messed up body chemistry. I would suggest drinking something like Gatorade (or some other sports drink that has fluid and electrolytes) to help with the dehydration, in addition to good old water.
I know this is no fun, but I agree with the earlier posts that suggested that, as your does decreases, you probably will have less and less problems with this issues. Good Luck!!

Elizabeth

Subs Not Drugs!!!

"Don't hope for a life without problems. An easy life results in a judgmental and lazy mind."
- Zen Master Kyong Ho

Post subject: correction
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:30 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I meant "constipation consternation". not "consriptaion consternation".....Sorry, I'm an English teacher and that was bothering me!

Subs Not Drugs!!!

"Don't hope for a life without problems. An easy life results in a judgmental and lazy mind."
- Zen Master Kyong Ho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I love the humorous remarks on this subject! It seems to make it so much easier to talk about it. But I guess it is just a part of life.
I have thought about using a colon cleanser for quite some time. I even considered it while still on the pain meds. Before I started taking pain meds I would usually go every day with no problems. Once I started taking them I would usually go every 3 to 4 days but usually had to strain. I bet I'd feel like a new man if I got cleaned out! I will start trying the stool softener every day. What exactly is a probiotic?
They only time I'm miserable is on the 6 or 7th day of no movement. That's when the bloating and stomach cramps start and then I take a laxative. They seem to work in about 8 hours and I then have no problems going. I also feel like I get it all out after about 5 times of going. It's then back to waiting for the 6 day to do it again. Up until day 6 or so I feel no bloating, cramps, or even fell like I have to go.
As for my age and health, I am 32 years old and I would say pretty healthy. My only health issue is a bit of back pain and sciatic pain on occasion. I hurt my back in Iraq and herniated a disc. I didn't say anything while there because I didn't want to leave my unit. I finished off the last 3 months of my tour and then let the corpsman know. Once back to the states I had a mri to asses the problem. For a year I tried pt, steroid shots, and exercise. I finally told the doctor to give me the surgery. During that time I was on vicodin and was only taking 8 5mg a day. I had the surgery and I instantly felt relief except for the surgery pain itself. After about a week after the surgery I went through withdrawals and was off all pain meds except otc on occasion. About 8 months later I started having the pain again. I got back on the meds and had another mri. It showed scar tissue from the surgery and spinal stenosis. I was then on pain meds for about 5 years off and on. I went from taking them for pain to abusing them. I did have a stretch of 6 months clean during that 5 years. I also had a few stretches of a few months clean during that time. But over the last year and a half my use got out of control. I was taking anywhere from 320 to 480 mg of oxycontin a day. I would also pretty much take whatever I could get my hands on such as morphine, percocet, vicodin, and on occasion fentynal. I finally had enough and started sub. I wish I would have looked in to it before as it helps my pain also.
Sorry for my history on this thread! I kinda got off the subject! But overall I am pretty darn healthy. I'm not overweight at 6ft tall and weigh 185. I eat healthy but could eat healthier. I also exercise on occasion but at work I probably end up walking around 3 miles a day. I know I need to be jogging at home though to get my heart rate elevated. My blood pressure is always in the normal range. (well, except when I was withdrawing it always seemed to drop low for some odd reason). I had blood work done a few weeks ago and everything came back in the normal range. I find that amazing though as there were many days I took 20,000mg of acetaminophen a day. I'm luck to be alive! I also have no family history of anything except for 2 grandparents that had diabetes. I am a smoker but have cut back on that and working on quitting. I have chantix and have used it in the past with no side effects. It works amazing!! I quite for about 3 months but once my pill intake got out of control I didn't really care about anything except for my wife and kids. If it wasn't for them I don't know if I would even be here typing this! No one around me knows about my addiction though. They knew I was taking pain meds but thought I was taking as prescribed. I feel horribly guilty from hiding this from my wife but I just can't bring myself to tell her. She would be crushed. I do know we would get through it though. That's a whole other story!
Sorry for such a long post and rambling. It feels good to type and look back on everything. I'm glad I have all of you wonderful people to help me!
So overall I am almost positive that it is the sub causing this issue. I think I will start off by getting a cleanser. After that I will continue to use the fiber supplement and also add flaxseed to the mix. If I don't see any results I will then add the miralax daily instead of just at day 6 of not going. I may also add the ducolax daily. I'm doing alright though as I don't feel any constipation pain until day 6. After downing the laxatives I do go I'm just worried about the health concerns of not going for a week. I hope it all works out by just dropping my sub dose and taking the fiber as I don't want to have to rely on another pill to fix a problem. I have been on sub for 3 weeks and I may continue to drop my dose to get as low as possible without feeling too much withdrawal. I have heard that 4mg will lock on to 96% of our receptors so I'm hoping I can eventually get by on that. You wouldn't think that 4% of the receptors not being filled would cause problems but who knows. If I get my dose too low and notice any ill effects I will increase it to a dose where I feel comfortable. I will not get off the sub until I get my addiction put in to remission. I would love to taper off completely but I know how vulnerable us addicts can get once clean. I do wonder if my withdrawals would be that bad if I did stop completely since I have only been on it for 3 weeks. I'm sure I would feel withdrawals if I went ct but what if I started tapering now? I have thought about starting to taper to see but if I get any urge whatsoever to use opiates I would stop the taper. What do you guys think? Once again, sorry for getting off topic. I guess I have other questions along with the constipation issue. I would love to be pill free and to get my body back on track completely. I just will not risk relapsing.
Sorry for the long post and for jumping around so much. I probably sound like a crazy person!!! My wife and kids are at school and I'm off today so thought I would share my story and get some advice while doing so. Maybe I should copy and paste my story of how why I started sub in the introduction section.
Hope everyone is having a wonderful day! Thanks for reading all of this!!

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:50 pm 
I think someone may have already said it, but at the risk of being repetetive.....
Take the Mirilax (generic) either every other day, or half a capful every day. Don't wait until you are bound up to take it. It will solve the problem. It's safe because it's not truly a laxative (drug), and because it will avert the problem you won't need stool softeners, milk of magnesia or any of that stuff. Sorry if I sound like a Mom, but because my daughter has bowel issues I got an education on this stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much Lily! I do have mirilax so I will start taking it every other day at first and see if that will help. We did have to give that to my daughter when she was 2 years old and it did work wonders for her.
Thanks again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:24 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Oh, just for the simple things in life... Like gong to the bathroom every few days.

I had a horrible time last fall and thought I had developed a blockage and was going to have to get operated on. Stool softeners had always worked for me before. I ended up drinking half a bottle of mineral oil over a few days time and it didn't help at all. I finally got some stuff called Super Colon Cleanse from Walgreens that has psyllium in it, a natural fiber, that helped me.

Now I try to keep fruit and bran flakes in my diet so I don't have to go through that again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 7:06 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

What worked for me was stool softeners and drinking three large glasses of water right before bed. Even without the stool softeners the three large glasses of water even work for me. I even raved to my dr. about it and he tells all his patients that now who complain about constipation. Sometimes the simplest things work. Give it a shot!

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 8:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I used to be full of shit too..........but that is behind me now. This is definitely one of the side effects of subs or any opiate for that manner. you have received several good suggestions.......I could whip you up a Miralax cocktail that will take care of everything.........Good Luck...