It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Constipation
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:57 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am new to this forum so forgive me if this has been addressed a million times. I recently had to go get a gastrograffin enema... I think that's how it's spelled. I went 12 days without having a BM. I'm on quite a few meds that cause constipation, but I'm wondering what others do to help combat this issue. This enema was awful and I don't want to have this again. I read that spitting out after dosing will help....? Appreciate your thoughts.

Post subject: Re: Constipation
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:30 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Belinda, constipation is a common side effect of opiates including buprenophine. When I was on higher doses, 4 mg and up, I needed to take mirilax or a fiber supplement to treat chronic constipation. Currently I take 2 mg a day and for the most part constipation is gone. Good luck. I assume that you are a female. I am an older female and have pelvic prolapse problems at least partly due to constipation. I would suggest that you keep the constipation in check to avoid such problems.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:55 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Currently I take a total of 12mg of Subutex per day. Sometimes I take less because I miss my afternoon dose. I've been on this dose for over 2 years. I have done everything possible to try to stop from getting constipated. The next time I talk to my doctor I should ask about lowering it. Thanks for your response :) This enema wasn't a regular old enema.... a doctor performed it while viewing it on the x-ray machine. It worked but I felt like I was going to explode....

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That sounds very unpleasant. Yes-- spitting can help. The reason is because only a quarter of a sublingual dose is absorbed into the bloodstream as buprenorphine; the rest is swallowed, absorbed at the intestine, and converted by the liver to norbuprenorphine. Norbuprenorphine is an opioid agonist that does not cross the blood brain barrier, but DOES act at the gut to cause constipation.

So with an 8 mg dose taken the usual way, you get 2 mg of buprenorphine in the bloodstream and 6 mg of norbuprenorphine in the bloodstream. Norbuprenorphine does not have a 'ceiling effect'-- so the more that is there, the more constipated you will be.

If you spit your dose perfectly, you would have 2 mg of buprenorphine and zero norbuprenorphine-- although the 2 mg would eventually get converted to norbuprenorphine, so there would be SOME amount of that hanging around-- but far less than if you swallowed the leftover saliva.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:33 pm 

Hey Belinda, I've struggled with constipation for yrs and yrs, way before I started suboxone treatment. I had to go to the er because of it before. I had one of those IV bag soapy enemas....twice because the first didn't work. It was awful and I remember it so vividly. That's when I was doing lots of oxycodone 30s and it constipated me pretty regularly. I still get constipated on and off but after all this time I've finally found a "system" that works. I regularly eat applesauce lol and if I forget and still get constipated I take a fleet suppository and I get relief in 30 minutes. I know that definitely wouldn't work for everyone but hopefully you'll figure out something that'll work good for u. I've never tried the spitting my saliva out after dissolving my medicine, I definitely need to try that too.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I just wanted to mention that... fingers crossed... since I started spitting out after dosing I haven't had a bout of constipation. My thoughts were when I started taking the Soboxone/Subutex that I needed to swallow in order to get the full effect. I feel no difference doing it this way. Thanks for all of your help. I also should mention that I get these horrible hot flashes and I've even noticed them lessoned now that I'm not swallowing the drug. I don't know if this is in my head... could very well be. You all are miracle workers!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:55 am 

In the beginning of my treatment, I had pretty bad sweating. I mean drenching lol. I don't really do that anymore thank goodness. I'd just be walking around or blow dry my hair and I'd be sweating awful. It became embarrassing because I'd get up from sitting and my shirt would be wet....So imo it was from the medicine, but it went away as time passed. I was ok with it though because I was so happy to be out of active addiction that I could definitely overlook it :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I had constipation here & there but never bad, actually I was pretty regular & I was orally taking 180mg of oxycodone daily for 8 plus yrs. when I did have an issue I would take 2 colace for a day or two and everything would be working fine.
Now on suboxone sense 9/8 I've had 2 BM's!! Yes only TWO in 20 days & u can imagine how bad my belly hurts...I've been taking MiriLax every other day, 2 colace every night and strong probotics every day and nothing, zilch, zero. I guess I'm going to have to try a Fleet, which I'm dreading but I'm very uncomfortable. Praying it works.
I already drink tons of water every day, always have, that's all I drink besides my 2 cups of dunkin donut coffee every day- u'd think that alone would keep me regular, Ha!
Anyway, thanks for listening any comments or suggestions are ALWAYS appreciated.
Take care everyone
LOVE THIS SITE! ♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:34 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey ladies! I suffer from constipation & EXTREME sweating as well. & I mean BAD. I recently found that a med i started same time as suboxone could be the culprit for both, but definitly making the sweating worse. You said you are on a lot of other meds, maybe you should look them all up and talk to your doctor, if you can get off the ones you don't absolutely NEED, or even lower their dose perhaps it would provide some relief for you. Not trying to give medical advice whatsoever, just trying to encourage you to talk with your doctor about this. For me, The med I was on was doing more harm than good by making me extremely uncomfortable with these side effects on a constant basis.

I am in the process of weaning off a med that didnt benefit me at all and i always blamed my side effetcs on suboxone & just dealt with it but I am SO glad it could be caused by this other med. i also take MIRALAX. It is truly magic powder. lol my boyfriend & I call it my poopy powder because it is the only thing besides suppositories that enables me to go. you have to take it every single day to get the most benefit so keep doing that and dont skip a day !. Also take stool softeners every night, it will help make the BMs less painful. The miralax is a HUGE help. when i need a little extra help i use suppositories. MUCH better than using an enema in my opinion although i have had to use both many times each.

Just thought I would share my experience. dont give up & dont be so quick to blame suboxone, it could be something else you are taking, I also get VERY HOT. ALL DAY. DRIPPING in sweat no joke. :oops: when i stand up, the chair i was in has sweat marks all over it. VERY embarrassing. so glad I talked to my suboxone Dr... he told me right away it is most likely from an antidepressant (Nortriptyline) I have been on for migraine prevention & I have been on it just as long as ive been on the sub. so I never thought it could be something else giving me these terrible severe effects. just something to consider. good luck! I know how miserable it is. when u are so bloated u feel and look pregnant, and ur stomach feels like a hard blown up rock, and u drip in sweat all day! very uncomfortable!!!! Let us know what other meds and/or supplements you are taking that may be causing this, so others who read this don't automatically blame suboxone, & so we can help others in the same boat! Good luck & take care!