It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: constipation. shit
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ive been on the subs for a month now, and they saved my life too but I havent had a bowel movement in 4 days and i think i fuked myself into a tolerance to laxitives. any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:05 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

It will come.. lol.

What dosage are you on?

I'm on 24mg per day. At the start it would be several days before I could... now its about every 2 to 3 days. If it gets any longer I use a stimulant/laxative suppository... 15 to 20 minutes later... LOOK OUT! lol

Eat lots of fiber, drink coffee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've always had alot of success maintaining a diet of high fiber and lots of water. I'm pretty strict about making myself drink at least 3-4 16 oz bottles of water a day and at least 3 servings of fruit or other foods high in fiber and so far things are....flowing pretty well. If I'm not mistaken I think I've heard doctor Junig talk about potential medications that are coming out soon or have already come out that are opiate antagonists that target opiate receptors in areas of the body that don't cross the blood brain barrier so that you wouldn't experience withdrawal but the rest of your body (intestines) aren't subject to the constipating effects of opiates. I could be completely off on how they're supposed to work but that was my understanding at least, hopefully we'll hear more about this soon as I think alot of people on Sub have problems with constipation.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I find that I need to take a fiber supplement such as Metamucil. It does not cause dependency like most laxatives. I am also 61 years old, contributes to my problems with constipation as much as the suboxone. I just mix it with my orange juice at breakfast. Make sure that you drink it right away or it becomes a gooey mess. There is also MiraLax which is more expensive but tasteless and no grainy texture. Jean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Milk of Magnesia helps me a lot. I only take it when needed though as to avoid dependency on that. But it does work great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:52 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I find plain ole stool softeners to be just enough without the harshness of a laxative. Usually works overnight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:20 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

When I started Sub I was on a pretty good diet, eating my greens... TONS of salads. I was regular then. Lately my diet has been very poor and I have been constipated as ever. Fiber is good. Eat lots o' greens! And of course caffeine and nicotine are wonderful BM catalysts =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:21 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

twer some hard shit :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Oh my god, I think this is the most prominent side effect of Subs. It's ridiculous at times. The painful movements I've had gave me a new respect for my mother :D

Seriously, I often have been forced to "break things" up before I tried to flush, it's embarrassing to discuss, but I often would find the "friends I dropped off at the pool" unable to fit down the pipes when flushed.

Diet and other assistance helps.

Post subject: really, really bad
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:38 pm 
allright, this constipation is getting ridiculous....i've been taking Subs for three months and I'm becoming aware of a new addiction I'm getting to laxatives. I really want to nip this in the bud, so I finally made a doctor's appointment for Friday. What finally made me do it was the past week I've been walking around thinking I've had a hernia, barely able to touch my stomach/belly button area without almost screaming in pain. And I realized I hadn't had a bowel movement in about 4 or 5 days, so finally yesterday I took a massive dose of milk of magnesia and it made me horribly nauseous and sick, but eventually worked and the so-called "hernia" went away. That scared me, because colon blockages can kill you. Up to this point I had been taking a low dose of stool softeners on a daily basis. So I can already see how my body has adjusted to laxatives and now expects them.
Unfortunately my Sub doc was booked so i had to make an appt. with a new doc, and I bet he'll be an ass when i tell him i'm on Subs. Maybe i'll omit that fact. hehe. I just started Wellbutrin a few weeks ago too, and ever since I've been taking them the constipation has been at least twice as bad so maybe i'll just blame it on them.
I'll let you guys know if the doc gives me some magic cure for clogged pipes :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm glad I haven't progressed to this point. I drink a lot of mt dew though, as well as eat a lot of bran and wheat bread. I usually go fairly regularly still, sometimes more than once a day, but usually daily with an occasional every other day.
It's always large and compact, but I've never backed up, thankfully.

Perhaps it's all the sugar and fiber I eat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:05 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I've started drinking a glass or two of prune juice daily. It has helped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:57 pm 
Good for you! People forget the old standards!! Drink more fluids - lots of water, prune juice (if you'll warm it, it can bring on relief even faster), incorporate fiber into your diet, exercise and take the lowest dosages of constipating medications as possible.

Post subject: Doo doo Do's
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:23 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I eat frosted mini wheat cereal (high fiber) for either a snack or breakfast. They have several different flavors (I like the maple and brown sugar). Works like a charm every day!

Post subject: Discovered a cure...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:53 pm 
OMG!!!
I went to the doctor a few weeks ago,
so he recommended me getting some Metumuccill (sp?), so I went to walmart and got the generic. It's basically a big canister of fiber powder. I take a teaspoon mixed with a big glass of water twice a day, and also drink a lot of water all day, which I do anyway. Wow, it really works!! No more male "labor" scenes over the toilet every 5 days...ROFLOL...so if you've got it really bad, get the walmart brand fiber powder and follow the directions. It does what you need it too!!!
Mommy wow, I'm a big boy now!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:38 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I just posted in another thread exactly like this one, so I won't get into all the details.

Long story short: I had extremely difficult bowel movements (>one a week). I began drinking the recommended amount of water a day and vowla! No more constipation. My bowel movements are completely normal! This has been working now for 12 days or so. It is a miracle cure, just like suboxone is for addiction. Try it. Water water water. !!!!! Best of luck!

Post subject: OUCH!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

This is the newest side effect that has popped up. Constipation. Omg. Wow. Before sub, I went a regular 2x a day. Well, it had come to my attention today that I hadn't gone since like Wednesday! .....!!......I got kinda paranoid worrying about blockage, cause well, that will kill a person. I took some milk thistle, and stool softener,some "bad" greasy food to get things moving along and there it was, but it was a painful thing to do, and there was blood. Oy. I was tested from my docs for internal and all that no blood so it's purely when I "have a hard time." I don't want this to be an everyday thing, bleeding like that. Kinda scary. Ok...very. Anywho, what's the best move? Ask the doc for something to stir things up better?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:48 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I have taken vegetable laxatives for the past 6 years and I absolutely swear by them. Others may not agree and I really don't know if they are bad for you long term but I am as regular as ever. The ones I buy are only like 7 or 8 dollars per bottle (120 pills). I take 4 every night before I go to bed and presto right when I wake up I can go. They don't give me stomach cramps or anything like regular laxatives. I'm not sure about the names but I think the one is called "Swiss" something and if they are out of that I buy "senota". Again I'm not sure of the name or spellings, I will check my medicine cabinet tonight and post the correct name. Honestly give them a try. On the other hand I also eat alot of fruit and veggies and get regular exercise and I am only on 3 mg currently but they used to work even when I was at 24. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey Smoothy, thanks a bunch! I will check out that section in the drugstore and get them, I need something and I will at least try it sounds like it works like a charm for you. Again, thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:22 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

"Swiss Kriss" is the name of the stuff I use. Good luck, I know it's frustrating but you find what works for you. Back in my heroin days I would go weeks sometimes and when I went it felt like I gave birth, ah the memories.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next