It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Been on subutex for a year and change. This last month I have had severe bloating and costipation. I tried the swiss kriss that is recommended on this topic. It helped minutley. So I went to walgreens and spoke with the pharmacist. He pulled up my med profile and saw the meds I am taking and recommended liquid Magnesium Citrate. I'ts a saline laxative oral solution. Basically an oral enema. 30 mins later and relief! Nothing else I tried suppositories, exlax etc... worked until this. Thank gawd!
Hope this helps someone.

Post subject: Re: constipation. shit
PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

best thing that has worked for me and has always. shredded wheat cereal. it's high in minerals and vitamin and the key fiber.

use a stimulant laxative if you need to. dont take these for more than a few days in a row or you can become dependent upon them to poop.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Juicing is a miracle...although I'm not sure anyone would shell out the money for a juicer if it's only to help with constipation. I juice for other benefits but adding pears to the juicer is magic for pesky bowels. :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

After I've tried everything for a few days and nothing works, I get a McDonald's chocolate milkshake.... by the next morning, i'm good to go. .. works everytime!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:09 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

BBluvsSub wrote:
After I've tried everything for a few days and nothing works, I get a McDonald's chocolate milkshake.... by the next morning, i'm good to go. .. works everytime!

Those shakes always have the same effect on me.

Weird, since I've been taking sub, I've had the shytes. Some days I'll have 8 Imodium pills in the morning to stop the runs and then still have a regular bowel movement that night. Four Imodium pills used to stop me up for days.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Been eating prunes in late afternoon and by mornin I am good to go.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I should have known that bowel movements (or lack there of! haha) would be a topic of discussion under side effects. It's something I don't mind talking about, but some people get uncomfortable- going to the bathroom is a natural part of life! However, NOT while taking Suboxone for an extended period of time.
Person hell story here (the short version). If you're grossed out easily, skip over this response! Back in 2010 after one full yr on the pills, I think at this point I was taking 16 mg a day, I got severly backed up. Sometimes for me it just happens, with no rime or reason, but during the summer '10 I actually suffered through an entire MONTH of not having a bowel movement (yes 30 days!!!!) I am a skinny girl naturally- 5'11, weigh about 125...and normally my stomach is flat. When this happened, it literally appeared like I was 4,5 months pregnant! I woke up every day groggy, and sluggliss, and terrified to eat anything else. I was asking myself, "well this point, after eating for 4 weeks and not releasing those toxins, I don't understand where I'd even have ROOM left in me!" =/ Sounds funny, but there really isn't anything humorous about feeling like you have a freakin bowling ball in your belly.
I could not have sex with my boyfriend, b/c it hurt too bad. I was practically popping vanes in my head when I DID attempt to go (tried mineral oil, laxitives, supositories, you name it!) Ended up going into the ER when I could no longer take it, and the X rays showed myself and the doc my level of toxins in the intestines. YUCK! I was admitted for 2 days, during which had to drink shakes which tasted like tar- makes me shutter just remembering this taste! And you would THINK one would be embarressed to have a nurse instruct you to get into the doggy style position on the hospital bed, stick your bare ass up in the air, and have her feed a snake like tube a foot up into your ass!
What is my point? lol... Well, I just want others who aren't aware of the side effects, that Suboxone effects our bodies the EXACT same way as our codeine did- there is no difference when it comes to constipation. Sooo... I can not STRESS ENOUGH how important it is to eat a balanced fiber diet while taking this medicine... I stocked myself up on prunes, bran cereal, apple cider, and plenty of greens (veggies). Also, my sister and I swear by the drug store powder Myalax (can be costly but if it provides relief within 1-3 days- depending on HOW badly you're backed up-who cares right?)
And while some may write it off as "no big deal"- with the mind set now being to take a couple laxitives and wham, you're as good as new. I WISH this was the case... Last winter my mother's Uncle passed away from complications due to NOT urinating and releasing enough bowel. Granted this man was in this 70's but still- point is, you can ACTUALLY DIE from long term constipation. I mean, ya think about it...Our Sh*t is basically toxin that just sits, and rots inside of us, and will only complicate things as we age (puffy under eyes, fatigue, depression, headaches, urinary track infections, low sex drive, irritability, the list goes on and on).
Good luck to all, and remember to keep on clearin' those insides- as often as humanly possible! Our bodies were already put through the ringer due to our addiction- so, lets be KIND to it now,...b/c as whats his name said..."your body is a wonderland." =)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:51 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Never tried this myself but a lot of people with this problem take cayanne pepper capsules regularly, not just to solve the problem but to overall keep it in balance so that there doesn't have to be a problem. Idk something about it stimulates your digestive system.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:37 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I had to get an RX it is called Amitiza, I am on 24mcg twice a day. Seems to be working. This is one of the newer ones that are for opioid users, that's what my doc said. If this does not work I was told there is this new shot that you take, WHOA, then like 30 min later watch out. He said that!! Hopefully it does not get to that point. I can't imagine. But what the heck, this is my life and without sub I am not sure I would have one!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

UGH besides not sleeping I have not been able to poop since starting Subs. I usually go every morning. I have IBS so if I don't go one day my stomach gets very crampy and gassy.... usually a liquid suppository clears me up no problem. Well today I did a suppository and NOTHING!? Its like there is nothing even in my colon, but Ive been eating so I know there is stuff in there. Now I feel worse since I did this "intervention" with no results and my stomach hurts. I guess I'll try a senna stimulant lax tonight.... I hope that works. I'm miserable. I think I am getting every side effect in the book.
:(

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 6:01 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm sure this has been resolved. But I have been on suboxone for a year or so now. At first it was terrible. I had anal fissures and hemorrhoids. I have a child and I got NONE OF THESE from my pregnancy. So I tried laxatives and suppositories. I tried enemas and home remedies. Here is what I do now, and it works for me. Miralax every other day. Full dose in the morning in a tall mug of strong coffee. (It takes 3-7 days to start working). But this alone did not help. I must wait to take my suboxone until an hour or 2 after I wake up. I start feeling a little withdrawal at about 24 hours, and that combined with miralax and coffee my friend equals a soft and comfortable BM!

ps: I'm on 4 to 6mg of suboxone a day. My constipation was just as bad at 16mg. Lowering my dose did not help at ALL.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:49 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

For some reason the combination of coffee and sub makes and odd concoction in your stomach. Its very uncomfortable but it works well. Plus eat lots of fiber.

Im on 16mg a day and have been for 5 years. I dont know how but I eat a lot and have gained 40 lbs In 6 months yet when I go once a week I still get rid of a very small amount. I wonder where all the food goes...

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:01 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

The constipation is terrible.. Look into "senna leaves" or "senna tea". Also, if you use fiber, it will work great, however, if you do not drink as much water as you need, the fiber could actually do the opposite and plug you up more! I currently have problems with constipation and going to look into Miralax.
Goodluck!

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:04 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

OMG 4 days and no poop and im a daily pooper :roll: ...have tried an enema, suppository, senna laxative, lots of water, fiber bars... nothing is moving in my stomach but gas. Im getting nervous im screwing my stomach up. How could an enema not even work...wtf! I saw someone say that there is an rx for constipation? I seriously need to go... I hate to give tmi but I now have painful hemorrhoids on top of this. I would feel great if this wasn't such a big issue. I finally slept a bit, but now this is killing me. I don't want to eat anything since nothing is coming out.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:04 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

csinny, Try a saline enema to get you started. Hold it in as long as possible to loosen things up and get you started. Then you have to stay on top of your daily fiber,water, water, water in-take. If you do not want to use things like mira-lax, eat high fiber cereal, prunes, prune juice, fiber supplements, and water , water, water, water!!!! Greens, veggies, etc. get a ritual to keep you regular. I always know its worth it anytime I am so backed up I feel like I am going to die!!! Take care

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:42 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

When I get up, before I even take my sub, I chug a liter of water. Usually room temp because I can't get chilled water down that fast. I never skip it, no probs in the bathroom. Also, I drink a lot of water thru the day. I usually have to flavor it somehow (like peach herbal tea) but keeping fluids up seems to help. I'm not a big veggie or fruit lover, I just do the recommended servings a day. But I notice if I lower that water intake, it gets hard. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Enema did nothing...UGGHHH my stomach is so bloated. My Dr rx'd me Amitiza but only 8mcg... im not sure if id be better off taking 3 senna instead. My stomach is so irritated from all the laxatives and enemas. What weird is that its like any food I ate has not digested at all. This Subutex is insane, ive never been this constipated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I too have dealt with this problem I've found if I eat raisin bran in the morning I don't have such a hard time. I totally empathize with you when you don't even want to eat because you haven't gone for days. It does start to get scary ... I definitely don't like taking the Metamucil but if it's been a couple few days then i know I need it...I only take a teaspoon worth and that seems to work in 12 to 24 hours. My doc gave me some amitza but I haven't tried it yet. I'm stubborn. I just try and eat my raisin bran and if that doesn't help then I'll go to the Metamucil but when u find something that works I would try and keep up the routine because you'll end up backed up all over again it really sucks! Good luck to ally constipated recovering addicts lol take it easy.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:25 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Nothing beats a well-balanced diet. I've been regular since getting on buprenorphine, having lost 60 pounds in the process, by changing the way I eat.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:37 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

From hopewins:
Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:52 pm

"This has been my biggest side effect besides fatigueI go weekly,yup weekly.I have tried,mirilax,suppositories,water,poop tea,lol!.Increasing fiber,coffee,enemas etc.The citrus clear liquid in the drug,oh citrate magnesium and the phillips white chalky liquid lax.and that one only releases the fluids around the stool."

Same here!! I have tried it ALL. I drink tons of water, fiber, exercise, you name it. MOM and miralax just give me horrible gas or liquidy poops where nothing that needs to come out, comes out. (Ironically, I had horrible constipation before my addiction issues, and less constipation while addicted, so go figure).
My first months on sub, I went like clockwork every two days, it almost seemed to be cleaning me out. Because they were, you know, the kind that needed breaking up. (Gross I know).
But as a constipation sufferer, I was thrilled, as in "thank God that's not inside me anymore!"

Then I decreased by 2mg, and every since, I can't go for 6 or 7 days! With 6-7 days worth of toxins built up in my gut I feel wrecked. :( I usually get relief on day 6 when I'm off work, can have a leisurely breakfast and drink coffee at home, and just let it happen. But I'm miserable during the work week, so bloated, I can barely button my pants. Oh, and don't forgot the constant gas pain, farting and burping.

I'll try Miralax, senna, but I'm nervous it will have the same effect it did pre-suboxone. The LAST thing I need right now is more bloating and gas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next