It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: constipation. shit
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:02 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

The constipation from Subs has for me been the worse side effect really the only one but is bad .. It has caused me to go off of it a few times... I totally share your pain. I take correctol and stool softeners nightly. I do have an underlying condition so I was always struggling to go before subs but now my motility and perastlis is non existent.. I don't have suggestions but I sympathize!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:12 pm 

This is a definite issue for me. And I've been having issues since active addiction too, not just from suboxone. Anything with an opiate in it, will constipate me regardless. When I was on oxycodone, I went to the er once it was so bad. It doesn't happen as often on suboxone but it does still happen, like about a month ago.

I finally found a little remedy that works for myself. So u can try it, why not right? I eat applesauce every single day now and it works flawlessly lol :) But when I had it really bad a month ago, I ate quiet a bit of applesauce and took a fleet supository(sp?). That's what worked for me. I'm sure the stool softener every day would be the most helpful too but it wasn't ever strong enough for me....maybe I didn't take enough every day or something.

I know how u feel though, and it's a miserable feeling. I'm willing to put up with anything over using again though, and if that means constipation then I'll figure out a way to deal with it lol but it definitely does suck.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ahhr, milk of magnesia has done nothing and I'm really trying to avoid the stimulant type of laxative for fear that evacuating compacted (guessing) stool too quickly will be a liability.

I did try a small enema a few days ago and apparently I (or the stool) was so dehydrated that I didn't even feel the need to expel anything. I mean, small, maybe 20oz, so maybe I shouldn't say enema but I don't know what else to call it. (I can't find the 2.5 liter one I bought)

Also, I'm kind of afraid to use a larger enema/stimulant laxatives because I'm afraid it's too compacted to move that fast.. it's been almost a week I think (unprecedented).

1.) Is there a way to soften stool that is already at the end of the 'pipeline'?
2.) If I were to use a enema, what's the best solution for compacted stool?
3a.) Most of us with a Hx of addiction have wiped and seen blood, right?
As long as it's not excessive and it's not in the stool, do I need to call my doctor?
3.b) What can I do to help healing of any paraexternal?

Individuals who have a strong interest/experience in medicine.
New Suboxone doctor/psychiatrist/therapist in the Boston area.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

jennjenn wrote:
This is a definite issue for me. And I've been having issues since active addiction too, not just from suboxone. Anything with an opiate in it, will constipate me regardless. When I was on oxycodone, I went to the er once it was so bad. It doesn't happen as often on suboxone but it does still happen, like about a month ago.

I finally found a little remedy that works for myself. So u can try it, why not right? I eat applesauce every single day now and it works flawlessly lol :) But when I had it really bad a month ago, I ate quiet a bit of applesauce and took a fleet supository(sp?). That's what worked for me. I'm sure the stool softener every day would be the most helpful too but it wasn't ever strong enough for me....maybe I didn't take enough every day or something.

I know how u feel though, and it's a miserable feeling. I'm willing to put up with anything over using again though, and if that means constipation then I'll figure out a way to deal with it lol but it definitely does suck.

For anyone who doesn't care for applesauce that much :) , applesauce is nearly all soluble fiber, so you can pick up any of those powdered (wheat dextrin or inulin, usually) fiber supplements to help you.

Check the [nutritional] label to make sure it's the right balance of in/soluble fiber. Depending on your situation hopefully you know what's best for you. The general recommendation is 50%/50% but I find more like 75% insoluble works best for me.

Just a heads up, eating 20-30g of insoluble fiber each day will likely make it more difficult to pass as your stool can become quite large. I saw some other post saying that they had to literally break up their stool before it would flush and after the number of times I've clogged my toilet, I'm starting to think it's either less insoluble fiber or creating a strange, new tool. :?

Post subject: Re: really, really bad
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

belemilus wrote:
jdhammond1982 wrote:
allright, this constipation is getting ridiculous....i've been taking Subs for three months and I'm becoming aware of a new addiction I'm getting to laxatives. I really want to nip this in the bud, so I finally made a doctor's appointment for Friday. What finally made me do it was the past week I've been walking around thinking I've had a hernia, barely able to touch my stomach/belly button area without almost screaming in pain. And I realized I hadn't had a bowel movement in about 4 or 5 days, so finally yesterday I took a massive dose of milk of magnesia and it made me horribly nauseous and sick, but eventually worked and the so-called "hernia" went away. That scared me, because colon blockages can kill you. Up to this point I had been taking a low dose of stool softeners on a daily basis. So I can already see how my body has adjusted to laxatives and now expects them.
Unfortunately my Sub doc was booked so i had to make an appt. with a new doc, and I bet he'll be an ass when i tell him i'm on Subs. Maybe i'll omit that fact. hehe. I just started Wellbutrin a few weeks ago too, and ever since I've been taking them the constipation has been at least twice as bad so maybe i'll just blame it on them.
I'll let you guys know if the doc gives me some magic cure for clogged pipes :roll:

I just wanted to respond to this comment. I have been on Subutex for 7 months. Almost the entire time I have had severe constipation. I've gone up to 14 days without having a BM. I was getting x-rays and they kept telling me that I was not blocked. The stool was just severely hard and Subs were preventing my colon from contracting. Well about a month ago I was having another one of those bouts. I went to eat something and I got the worst stomach pain. I started downing the laxatives and I eventually went.... but the pain I was experiencing was a number 10.f I finally went to the ER and they found that I had an abnormal curve in my small bowel. I was admitted to the hospital and was there for 7 days. In the end we found out that I had an infection in my colon. It was all because of the severe constipation. My suggestion is that you take this situation very seriously. I was lucky that I had a doctor that was patient and didn't want to cut into me right away.... but that was only because I had gastric bypass and it's actually quite a complicated process to have colon surgery. We by chance found out that I had a serious infection which is what caused the loop. Basically what I am saying is that I knew my constipation was bad, but I didn't take it as seriously as I should have. Not anymore!--Learn from me!

Wow, this scared me enough to get serious about my constipation. If I'm like other people, yes, it's an inconvenience (understatement?) but do I /really/ change my diet that much and do I exercise /that/ much more? Nope. I look for ingestible/suppository solutions. Motivation!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Starlight-Lady wrote:
I guess I was lucky (in a horrible way) that I've always had hard stools that were next to impossible to pass. So when I got on opiates and buprenorphine, I was already used to it and had been using enemas on a daily basis since I was 19. It can sometimes take more than one try, of course, but don't give up. Enemas are the best and fastest way to empty your colon when you're backed up. Laxatives and stool softeners have to go all the way through your body and then slowly work their way through the stool, although if you have actual constipation, where the stool isn't moving and it's stuck high up in your colon, I guess that's exactly what you need. But mine are usually ready to come out - they're just too hard to push through. Enemas are the best solution for that, in my opinion. I use 2 tbsp sea salt mixed into 2 quarts of warm water. The tiny Fleet enemas are way too small to do much good. You need a proper enema kit to do it right. If you're going to be on opiates for a while, you might as well invest in one. Here's a really good one with clear, silicone parts so you can see if the bag or tube is clean. If you can't see inside of it, you won't know if it's getting mildewy and moldy. My other ones always did that when I was using the cheap red bags. But you can always just buy the douche/enema/water-bottle combo from the drugstore for around $5-$15. Those are good too, just not as sanitary, so you might want to replace it every so often. Hopefully everyone having this problem can find a solution that works well for them. Constipation is so frustrating. It can even make you cry when it's really bad.

Yes, +1 to enemas. They have such a stigma but they're a completely non-invasive (once you get over the whole procedure of an enema) and have lots of benefits, especially with the array of solutions you can create.

I just remembered, peppermint oil is a.. gastric motility(?) enhancer? I forget the proper term, but I've used peppermint enemas and drank peppermint oil (both /diluted/) before. Just be careful when you first try it, it can have a strong sensation. Just a couple drops in a water bottle, for example.

Also, those enemas are way more expensive than need be. Great suggestions, but I'm hoping I can save people money. At Walgreens, etc. you can find a Fleet bottle for $1.00 (probably a little more now). I say dump out the solution and use plain water, but if you're really backed up - just know it causes a lot of cramping/pain.

For a 2.5 liter enema, you can find a good one for less than $5. I get clear ones as well, implicitly reusable, with a bag and a hook at the top, and probably a 6 foot tube that comes with a cover full of lube (and a packet of castile soap, which frankly, is the best you can do for anal sex)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

BexyRae wrote:
I'm on regular suboxone now been on it for a couple years. Constipation is pretty much the norm for me now. When I have to, I take a stool softener from my doctor. Double the dosage of course. When I started in rehab they gave me subutex for the first time. I think about five days in I got the WORST constipation in the worst way. I did everything I could to get things moving along. Milk of magnesia, coffee, lots of water and still nothing. The pain I was having felt like birth. And it would NOT come out. It had been three days since the pain and I finally got to the point I just had to dig it out. I really had no choice. As gross as it sounds it really wasn't messy cause it was hard as rock. I'm sorry for being graphic but I think if you are in severe pain to the point of tears, there's nothing wrong with taking things into your own hands... Pun intended. Thankfully I've only been forced to do this twice in two years. But just saying, don't be afraid to do that in time of pain. You'll never have to post about it on the internet for the world to see. =)

This is what Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown used to do and they didn't even use opiates..

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

jennjenn wrote:
Also I saw something on tv the other day. It's a new laxative type prescription just for ppl who have to take any type of opiate. It's supposed to "keep it moving" due to being constipated on opiates. I'm definitely going to ask my Dr about this when I see him again in a few weeks. This weekend was a complete nightmare for me being constipated. I was praying and crying lol. I do try to eat right and I exercise every single day and it still gets me sometimes. I don't get constipated really often, but when I do, it's a complete nightmare. I'll spare the details lol but I cannot go through another weekend like I just did again.

Anyway....hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!!!

There's Relistor, Movantik and perhaps the newest one you're talking about with all the ads, Amitiza. I'm working on an Rx for that (trying for Miralax Rx first - see the post in Side Effects) and I'll report back if it gets to that point.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

mez wrote:
A healthy gut is pretty important, the latest science is all about what they call the microbiome- loads of different types of bacteria which live in our gut and influence our health. I noticed an article on atlantics web site which says..“There’s been an explosion of interest in the connections between the microbiome and the brain,” says Emeran Mayer, a gastroenterologist at the University of California, Los Angeles, who has been studying the topic for the past five years."
"Scientists have found evidence that this assemblage—about a thousand different species of bacteria, trillions of cells that together weigh between one and three pounds—could play a crucial role in autism, anxiety, depression, and other disorders."

I like Bunavail. it's much more pleasant tasting (citrus), easy to use - (dust a damp finger in a little flour or sugar first, to stop it sticking, if dry then it's ok anyway), absorbs though the inner cheek lining, so uses half the medication, and because most of it doesn't end up in your gut, flora are far better protected. The blurb on line says about 70% of people suffer less constipation or irritable bowel syndrome, an all round winner in my book. Depending on your rx, you can split the patches in half, which cuts the cost right down. Medicaid/care gradually being rolled out in the 2nd half of 2015

Want to make your own kefir?

Interesting, Bunavail. Never heard of it but I'll definitely look into it. I'm all about a drink called kefir, you might have seen it in the grocery store in the past year or two? I make real kefir with what are called kefir grains. They can adapt over time to either milk, or water, although milk gives the best balance/variety of bacteria, yeast and other microbes.

Homemade is far superior to store bought. The whole idea is that kefir grains, which can be eaten, release live (no, not freeze dried, barely active 'pearls) cells into the drink (although you can eat the kefir grains.. not as tasty) and make their way through your digestive system where they can colognize in the gut and repopulate.

Kefir grains multiply over time. Once you have them and they reach homeostasis (they just need fresh milk/sugar water every day or two) they'll stick with you for life - both in your digestive system and in whatever home you give them outside your body.

I'm guessing this is allowed, as I'm not doing so for profit and I'm not commercial: if anyone wants to try homemade kefir (for the cost of a single bottle in the store, which unfortunately cant be used to grow kefir), for $5 I'll mail you a grain big enough to produce as much kefir/grow as large as you'd like.

It's kind of nice, the fact that no one has picked up on commercial kefir grains yet. It can make getting them difficult (especially if you're not near a major city) but there's something authentic IMO. I've gotten grains from Watertown and Concord (MA), and they play nicely with each other. I was just trying to diversify the different strains of microbes. They've helped me with constipation (and gas, and stomach pains, and lactose intolerance [only minor, no promises, although living in milk, they do consume lactose and the kefir is lactose free]

Oh, and I'll even send you an outline about kefir so you know how to care for them, how to transition them, either to a refrigerated (slowed) or frozen (inactive, though capable of being revived) state, as well as switching from milk to [sugar] water, etc. Everything you should know, plus some of my favorite sites for extensive information like cheesemaking.

*I have enough to send a few people grains right now, but I don't keep a lot on hand (I eat the actual grains - the best way of ensuring full colonization of your lower GI), so I'll only grow them as demand grows. This means it'll probably take me a week (or two if people really take interest) to grow your kefir from the point in time at which you contact me. I'll take PayPal, cash in the mail.. I do have Square/PayPal Here accounts but that means I'd need your credit/debit over the phone and I don't really like that.. but pretty much anything else you can think of.

Contact me if you have any questions about kefir, whether you want me to send you some or not!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Laffertyk wrote:
I had this problem when I first got into opiates. What worked for me was wheat germ. You buy it in a jar at any grocery store, and you can sprinkle about one tablespoon on anything - cereal, toast, yogurt, salad, soup, whatever. Not sure how much you can eat in a day, it's prob. On the bot Not a lot of taste, and it's about as natural as you can get. There are also many good yoga exercises for constipation....good luck!

Interesting - could you share (a link perhaps) some of the poses/exercises?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:16 pm 

NurseMiel wrote:
mez wrote:
A healthy gut is pretty important, the latest science is all about what they call the microbiome- loads of different types of bacteria which live in our gut and influence our health. I noticed an article on atlantics web site which says..“There’s been an explosion of interest in the connections between the microbiome and the brain,” says Emeran Mayer, a gastroenterologist at the University of California, Los Angeles, who has been studying the topic for the past five years."
"Scientists have found evidence that this assemblage—about a thousand different species of bacteria, trillions of cells that together weigh between one and three pounds—could play a crucial role in autism, anxiety, depression, and other disorders."

I like Bunavail. it's much more pleasant tasting (citrus), easy to use - (dust a damp finger in a little flour or sugar first, to stop it sticking, if dry then it's ok anyway), absorbs though the inner cheek lining, so uses half the medication, and because most of it doesn't end up in your gut, flora are far better protected. The blurb on line says about 70% of people suffer less constipation or irritable bowel syndrome, an all round winner in my book. Depending on your rx, you can split the patches in half, which cuts the cost right down. Medicaid/care gradually being rolled out in the 2nd half of 2015

Want to make your own kefir?

Interesting, Bunavail. Never heard of it but I'll definitely look into it. I'm all about a drink called kefir, you might have seen it in the grocery store in the past year or two? I make real kefir with what are called kefir grains. They can adapt over time to either milk, or water, although milk gives the best balance/variety of bacteria, yeast and other microbes.

Homemade is far superior to store bought. The whole idea is that kefir grains, which can be eaten, release live (no, not freeze dried, barely active 'pearls) cells into the drink (although you can eat the kefir grains.. not as tasty) and make their way through your digestive system where they can colognize in the gut and repopulate.

Kefir grains multiply over time. Once you have them and they reach homeostasis (they just need fresh milk/sugar water every day or two) they'll stick with you for life - both in your digestive system and in whatever home you give them outside your body.

I'm guessing this is allowed, as I'm not doing so for profit and I'm not commercial: if anyone wants to try homemade kefir (for the cost of a single bottle in the store, which unfortunately cant be used to grow kefir), for $5 I'll mail you a grain big enough to produce as much kefir/grow as large as you'd like.

It's kind of nice, the fact that no one has picked up on commercial kefir grains yet. It can make getting them difficult (especially if you're not near a major city) but there's something authentic IMO. I've gotten grains from Watertown and Concord (MA), and they play nicely with each other. I was just trying to diversify the different strains of microbes. They've helped me with constipation (and gas, and stomach pains, and lactose intolerance [only minor, no promises, although living in milk, they do consume lactose and the kefir is lactose free]

Oh, and I'll even send you an outline about kefir so you know how to care for them, how to transition them, either to a refrigerated (slowed) or frozen (inactive, though capable of being revived) state, as well as switching from milk to [sugar] water, etc. Everything you should know, plus some of my favorite sites for extensive information like cheesemaking.

*I have enough to send a few people grains right now, but I don't keep a lot on hand (I eat the actual grains - the best way of ensuring full colonization of your lower GI), so I'll only grow them as demand grows. This means it'll probably take me a week (or two if people really take interest) to grow your kefir from the point in time at which you contact me. I'll take PayPal, cash in the mail.. I do have Square/PayPal Here accounts but that means I'd need your credit/debit over the phone and I don't really like that.. but pretty much anything else you can think of.

Contact me if you have any questions about kefir, whether you want me to send you some or not!

I don't see any problem with it as long as you communicate via PM as opposed to posting to each other on a thread. Thanks for all the information about kefir!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There is an old remedy for constipation that can be used for baby's-adults. It is called Karo syrup. About a year ago I used it for my then six month old grandson. I put one level tablespoon in his 8 ounce bottle. 8-10 hours later his screaming stopped and he pooped like an adult.

Warning- diabetics should not use it.

That's my 2 cents on constipation relievers :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Magnesium citrate...whole 10oz bottle... Will make you go. Then get on a miralax schedule taking a capful everyday to get you regular. Colace is good stool softener, at least for me, but will not make you go. Milk of magnesia is good for awhile but stopped working for me. Trust me when I didn't go for 4 days I bought an enema and magnesium citrate. Took the citrate first and didn't even have to use the enema.

Oh, and lots of prune juice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow, I remember this thread from when I joined in 2010, and I think it was already a year old then!

My daughter had bowel problems when she was little, and the doctor said Miralax once a day EVERY DAY.

Do what you have to do to clear the blockage (enema etc), but if you're on Sub maintenance and have chronic constipation, you need Miralax MAINTENANCE. It even comes in a cheaper generic.

Probiotics, kefir, prune juice, Applesauce - daughter's doc says apple cider - all good but...

Miralax once a day EVERY DAY.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:00 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I have been on suboxone for close to a year 16mgs a day I have had this problem it was very painful but what helped me the most is taking 1 stool softener every morning till you get regular again then go to a half of a stool softener half then even lower till your off.if your having problems again start taking it again I go to the restroom every 2-3 days that's normal to me hope this helped...if you ever get so bad where your bleeding go call your doctor and talk it over with him

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:41 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Okay, everyone experiencing massive constipation, I have some helpful tips for you. Anyone ever heard of "senna leaf"? It is a natural herbal laxative. You can find it in Herbal Tea form, and also in Pill form, all over-the-counter. :D I promise it will help with the dreadful constipation that opiates cause. I always have "Smooth Move Herbal Tea" on hand for this very painful, miserable predicament. I recommend brewing 2 bags of this tea in one cup, and within 6-10 hours, your B.M. will come. 8) 8) Good luck!! I really hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:25 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I would get off of the subs ASAP. I'm guessing your doctor never mentioned they take 6moths to a year of hell to detox from eventually. I was on 8mg for about 3 years and once before that for ony a period of three solid months where even then my withdrawals were so crazy and I never even knew what was wrong with me! Now I have a week and a half off subs thanks to ibogaine but still experiencing lingering fatigue mostly. I would rather be on anything rather than suboxone or subutex. They are only benificial if either A) they are used for no longer than 2 weeks to detox or B) You plan on staying on them forever and are ok with the fact you have become a living zombie (for me zombie status came on somewhere around my 1 year mark) To answer your question, get used to having one weekly bowel movement if your lucky, at least that was my experience

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

jen,

I see this is your first post - welcome. I hope you do well off bup! However, I'm in total disagreement with your negative bup comments and advice. Perhaps this is how you feel and was your experience, but it is not fair for you to paint everyone w the same negative broad brush and tell us only bad things will happen. Imo and ime, none of your dire statements occurred. I0 yrs opiates, 1 yr on bup, 5 yrs off bup, 6 yrs clean. My time on bup went really well, stopping bup went pretty well... Wishing you the best, P

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:48 am 

Well Jen I plan on possibly staying on suboxone for life and I don't agree with u whatsoever. I agree with everything Pelican said (as usual). I've been on suboxone for 4 yrs and I'm not a zombie, I do enjoy the walking dead very much but that's the extent of zombies. I felt like a zombie when I was using oxycodone and iv'ing morphine, suboxone isn't anything near that misery, it actually makes me look forward to life again. If u stayed on suboxone for 3 yrs, it must have done something right for u also. Would u ever have been able to taper & stop when u were using ur drug of choice like u have with sub?

Imo using suboxone for a short period of time to detox won't work either. I've been to inpatient detox before sub and I came out a week later totally off opiates and went straight to using again. There's no quick fix for addiction.

This medication has saved my life and this is a pro suboxone forum. We welcome u Jen with open arms, just please don't bash suboxone, there's other sites that would be more than happy to do that with ya.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

When I was taking a combo of Adderall and Subs I was superdooper constipated. I've been off the adderall for two years and it's gotten a little better. But I developed some massive hemmoroids (sp) early on and they haven't gone away and probably won't. When I dump my butthole looks like a blowfish.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next