It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If you search for information on bowel movement you'll learn, among many other things, that it is the last step of the digestive process and absolutely key to optimal health. This process, or the defecation cycle, is normally a combination of both voluntary and involuntary processes with force. The defecation cycle is the interval of time between the completion of one bowel movement, and the completion of the following bowel movements. This can be anywhere from once or twice daily to ever other day in healthy adults.
Constipation refers to bowel movements that are infrequent or hard to pass.

(links are explicit)
Hopefully links to Wiki on Bowel Movement / Defecation and Wiki to Constipation, can be added later because they were full of good info.

I know many patients, like myself, are having to deal with this unfortunate and uncomfortable side effect...

THE AIM OF THIS THREAD IS TO SHARE WHAT WORKS TO MAINTAIN HEALTHY DIGESTION AND REGULAR BOWEL MOVEMENTS FREE OF FORCE OR DISCOMFORT.

PLEASE SHARE WHATEVER WORKS - DIETARY TIPS, SUPPLEMENTS, DAILY PRACTICES OR HABITS, ROUTINE, MASSAGE, BASICALLY ANYTHING THAT MAY HELP SOMEONE DEALING WITH THIS SIDE EFFECT.

I know we have the stickied 'constipation, shit' thread but it's gotten fairly long and the actual tips are mixed in among the 60+ posts. If we could maybe keep chatter to that thread this one could hopefully become a place where people can pop in get good tips quickly and easily from those who know.

THANK YOU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am trying the following things starting yesterday to see if I get any noticeable improvement in my digestive health.

-Increase daily water intake to a minimum of 32 oz (I know this is only half the recommended 64 oz but it's up from my current 8-16 oz daily)

-I am taking a probiotic, acidophilus 2x daily on empty stomach

-essential fatty acid with 2 meals daily

-drinking georges aloe vera, as directed

-reducing redbull intake to 12oz max daily

I'll follow up if anything here helps

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sounds like you are trying to improve your health in this area without the use of laxatives? That's been my goal. I took a trip to the health food store and I have been doing the following for the last week...

Probiotic / Prebiotic supplement 2-3 times a day on empty stomach or between meals with full glass of water

Digest Gold by Enzymedica - I'm taking 1 capsule before most meals and an additional one if its a big meal or red meat / dairy

WATER! - In the sticky constipation posts I read alot of people saying water, water, water - I stocked up on bottled water and got a 2 brita filters.. Trying to work my way up to 8 full glasses a day, everyday. I think this is much more important then we might think..

TIP THAT I KNOW HELPS - ABDOMINAL SELF-MASSAGE
I challenge anyone really having issues with constipation to give this a shot 1-2 times a day (morning night in bed for me)
Theres lots of good and easily accessible info online about technique and benefits of stomach / belly / ab massage
For those who don't want to search online heres a quick way you can start with just 2 minutes twice a day.
While in bed laying on your back simply apply firm pressure with the fingers and massage in a CLOCKWISE motion... you can start with small circles at the belly button and work to large circles from near your hips to the base of your ribs. Thats it!

hope this helps

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Last weekend I went out with a woman and I swear... she managed to steer every conversation to talk of defecating and poo. It was a bit disconcerting, even for me. Somehow this thread reminded me of her.

Anyway... All bran helped me while I was on interferon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Tear, it sounds like you met your soul mate! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:48 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

tearj3rker wrote:
Last weekend I went out with a woman and I swear... she managed to steer every conversation to talk of defecating and poo. It was a bit disconcerting, even for me. Somehow this thread reminded me of her.

Ha. What kind of women you dating Tear?!

Thanks for the few ideas so far. I agree its alot of poo talk and kinda akward but my friend that introduced me to Suboxone recently checked himself into the hospital cause he hadn't shit in 10 days!!! I can't imagine. Had another friend mention it as well so I know its a problematic side effect alot of patients deal with.

I bought almond milk and two high fiber cereals per the recommendations above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I went a full 9 DAYS without going...I shit you not!! LOL! This was the very first 9 days on sub. So on the 7th day is when I realized I hadn't gone since the morning of my induction appt 1 week prior. Of course I remember going then because it was the wd diarrhea. Anyway, on day 7 I took stool softeners and stimulants to try to make me go. Day 8...nothing, so I took the same...MiraLax, Dulcolax, sennosides, etc. 9th day came along and I was in a panic. Finally took M.O.M. and a suppository...half hour later I gave birth and clogged the toilet. I know, ewwww. I was very painful.

I have taken softeners every day since because I'm afraid of it happening again, but I still don't go. So every 4th day I take 4tbsp of milk of magnesia and I go within half hour. I don't know how long it would take without the MOM, but I don't want to find out. It's been every four days since then, but not unless I take this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:20 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I found this because of the dental work I'm having done right now:

Not being able to chew because of having teeth pulled, my diet has to be limited..so soups and such during those painful days after an extraction....

Here's one that will make you "regular" within 12 hours or so if you eat it for a couple of days...
Instant Oatmeal.

I've been buying the Strawberries and Cream instant oatmeal and I usually eat 3-4 packs at a time. Normally, about 8-12 hours later, it's time to go sit down with my tablet or a magazine for a few....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here2Learn wrote:
tearj3rker wrote:

Ha. What kind of women you dating Tear?!

Never been well known for my standards. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

"FIBERPLUS" granola bars work for me.
it actally says on the package to start with a HALF of one. I thought, OH HELL, I'll be fine, cuz I was 'backed up'

Let me tell, ya,
15min later, my belly was making noises and singing songs.

So, the NEXT day, I started with a HALF.

now Ive worked up to one a day, but NOT for breakfast anymore, I eat them in the after noon or on my drive home from work. Cuz I like to be at home when its "time"

Anyways, theyre pretty much like having a multivitamin as well. Two birds with one stone. AND they actually taste GOOD
they have chocolate, PB/chocolate, and a few carmel variations.

this is what works for me

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:41 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Pour 8oz of prune juice in a coffee mug, put in microwave for 40 seconds and drink down as fast as you can.
If you don't like the taste, try to get past it cuz trust me, it tastes better warm and works quickly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the tips.. hope the thread is helping people.

I might try some of those fiber plus bars mentioned above, I need to eat healthier snacks anyway..

I was just talking general health with the owner of my local Natures Way and she mentioned Georges Aloe Vera Juice, I bought a half gallon and the stuff has no taste.. like drinking water but it has tons of health benefits, one of which is overall digestion.

And I agree with the oatmeal and cereal tips above, we hear it all the time but I never really payed much mind to the whole fiber fiber fiber advertisements and commercials but I think the single most helpful thing in my case is breakfast.. I have been rotating through a few high fiber cereals or oatmeal for breakfast with almond milk and a glass of water and that seems to be making a noticeable difference.

I mean 9 days?? Aside from the pain and discomfort that just can't be good for ones health. Even every 4 days seems like it could be troublesome.. I've heard suppository stories from fellow pill poppers over the years and ya.. to close to childbirth sounding for me. Plus I've heard you can get addicted or dependent on laxatives, no?

Either way.. there's some good tips and ideas here for anyone needing help. Best of luck all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 2:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My mom's Hospice nurse shared this gem & it works like a charm. They call it the blue hair cocktail. Put one teaspoon of butter in a cup of prune juice and nuke it just long enough to melt the butter. It sounds horrible & while not exactly delicious it's not all that bad & it works like a charm! Just don't get it too hot, just warm enough to melt the butter and that way you can chug it. My mom is on morphine and sometimes not even 9 Sennas a day work for her but this trick never fails.

Post subject: constipation cures
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:11 am 
New Poster
New Poster

This was the first thread I came across being new to this site... I dealt with constipation my whole life but it became chronic and worse after starting suboxone. Ive used everything possible to treat it. For the past year or so Ive been taking this supplement called
Cleanse More. It's a natural laxative that's suitable for everyday use, as it's pretty gentle and gets things going in a day or two after taking it. I had to adjust my amount it says to take because the constipation is so bad but I was given the ok by a naturpath I know. You can find it at most health food stores (whole body) or your hometown hf store if you have one where you live. If not, order online. Amazon offers the best prices.
It doesn't give you horrible cramps. It's not that cheap, but I swear it's the only thing that works for me and I've been through EVERYTHING from A-Z. So it's worth it to me. And I noticed that after I had taken it in frequent intervals when I first got it, I wouldn't need to take it as much for me keep things going.
I also eat these really yummy coconut flavored Greek yogurt I found at walmart and jello pudding makes this awesome chocolate pudding that has acidophilus in it. Im convinced that anykind of food you can find that already has the acidophilus in it keeps you regular too. Im sure taking a probiotic will work too, I just find that if it's in a yummy food I'll remember to eat it.
And lastly, adding ground up flaxseed to anything you can eat works too. It's good on cereal, yogurt or putting in a smoothie.

I hope you find something that works for ya! Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Poo tip number one: Wipe your bum every time...

Wiping your bum is NOT like brushing your teeth. You can't just leave it til next time. Exception being if you want a bit of extra space on the subway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The smartest thing to do is a steady regimen to prevent constipation. I am guilty myself of waiting until I am practically impacted before I take action!

I have now learned to stay on top of this problem. I take 2 stool softeners every night and a dose of mirlax 2-3 times a week. I mix the mirlax with white grape juice, just enough to dissolve it. Not even a cup full, and turn it up. Mirlax has no flavor so it's easy to down. It's rather costly though. But works better for me than any senna or veg. laxative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I also take a stool softener every day. My doctor said it is ok to take those daily, but just not the stimulants, because my body could become dependent on those, and stop going on it's own. I just want to make sure that when I do go, it's not as painful as it was when I first got on subs and I waited 9 days to do anything about it!!! :shock: :shock:

wncgal wrote:
Put one teaspoon of butter in a cup of prune juice and nuke it just long enough to melt the butter. It sounds horrible & while not exactly delicious it's not all that bad & it works like a charm!

Mmmm...I like butter and I like prune juice! Doesn't sound too bad to me, I'll try it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Taurus wrote:
I also take a stool softener every day. My doctor said it is ok to take those daily, but just not the stimulants, because my body could become dependent on those, and stop going on it's own. I just want to make sure that when I do go, it's not as painful as it was when I first got on subs and I waited 9 days to do anything about it!!! :shock: :shock:

wncgal wrote:
Put one teaspoon of butter in a cup of prune juice and nuke it just long enough to melt the butter. It sounds horrible & while not exactly delicious it's not all that bad & it works like a charm!

Mmmm...I like butter and I like prune juice! Doesn't sound too bad to me, I'll try it.

I may try that too.. Maybe sprinkle a tad of cinnamon on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:38 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Aloe vera juice helps me a lot, it can also be used to treat other digestive problems such as acid reflux, ulcers, irritable and inflammatory bowel disease. I also noticed that I get it more rarely after I started to take magnesium. Prune juice can also be effective, and of course drinking water, it is the key to reducing constipation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:42 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

CharlyW wrote:
Aloe vera juice helps me a lot, it can also be used to treat other digestive problems such as acid reflux, ulcers, irritable and inflammatory bowel disease. I also noticed that I get it more rarely after I started to take magnesium. Prune juice can also be effective, and of course drinking water, it is the key to reducing constipation.