It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:45 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Good morning all. Well I started posting my story underneath another thread called "Building a resistance to Laxatives?" Author of the thread is "mayunholdup" Thanks Mayunholdup for all of your information. I read through this thread and read some information about Miralax. I figured I would start a new thread, as I'm experiencing some constipation and would like to share my experience.... Anyways, I will go briefly into my dosage of Suboxone... I started Suboxone back in December of 09.... I started Suboxone at an Outpatient clinic that brought me from 8MG down to 4MG rather quickly and then I found a psychiatrist as I knew I needed long term treatment. The Psychiatrist immediately brought me up to 8MG of Suboxone per day. I have now been at 8MG of Suboxone since around February of 2010 (This is an estimated guess, I would have to look back at some records to be exact but it's a real close estimate. I never had any problems with constipation until recently more like three weeks or so.... Same dose 8mg a day - nothing has changed. From reading the thread I found that Miralex seemed like a nice choice.... I purchased Walgreen's Generic form (Polyethylene Glycol - regular strength). Smooth LAX is the name and it was $16.99 for a 30 day supply. I purchased this generic form and took my first dose Weds, June9th around 11PM. It's a white powder that you mix with any beverage...My beverage was Gatorade and I found it very easy to take... Anyways,. the back of the bottle says a bowel movement should happen 1-3 days.....I had a bowel movement around 7:30am the next morning (Thursday, June 9th) and it was painful. - Here's the problem. I haven't had a bowel movement since then and I'm in fear of the next one now being painful. Mayunholup recommended a colon detox that can be purchased at my local store. Should I do this? Anyone else have any other suggestions? I'm in fear of ending up with a blockage, as I used to have bowel movements on a regular basis.

Anyways let me add this for new user's that may be reading this and saying....."Why would I want to go on Suboxone and deal with this" First of all the benefits or pro and cons way over weight the "Cons". Suboxone has done so much more for me in a positive manner (saved my life and marriage) than any negative manner...Really, this constipation is the only negative issue I see. I believe my constipation is mostly my blame....I drink 2 liters of Pepsi a day which I'm being told will dehydrate you....I never drink water or anything else unless I'm extremely thirsty from doing yard work or something to that matter. AS of yesterday, I drank two glasses of water and about four glasses of Gatorade along with 2 liters of Soda. The soda problem must come to a stop and I'm looking at this constipation as a positive learning experiment, as I most likely brought this on myself by not hydrating myself each day properly.

Sorry for such a long most.. Anyways, I really think this Miralax will work in time but I need something now to clean myself out to have a fresh start before I end up with a blockage...... I will be checking back regularly to see any suggestions.

Thanks, SuperBuper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Super,

Constipation does seem to be a problem that comes with opiates. You may remember I'm on a rather high dose of sub (as I take it for pain, too), yet my constipation problems aren't too bad. I also drink A LOT of pop/soda. I'll tell you what I do. I avoid laxatives, just because I've found for the most part I can deal with my issues without it. What I do take occasionally are stool softeners. Those help because I've found they reduce any pain that may accompany a long-overdue bowel movement. You can take two of those a few nights in a row without any ill effects - at least as far as I know. (I'm no doctor.) But what also helps is cereal - healthy cereal. I've found that if I eat a small bowl of cereal like Grape Nuts, or Bran Flakes, or one of the Kashi brands that I almost always have a bowel movement the very next morning. Since I've been eating more cereal I've had much less need for the stool softeners. For me this routine works very well.

I just wanted to pass along what works for me. I hope this helps. Take care!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:28 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I HIGHLY recommend drinking three large glasses of water before you go to bed. I was the queen of constipation, LOL, (lovely title for my self , huh) and that really helped me. Do it every night, let me know how it goes.

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:10 pm 
It seems that Miralax is better for "maintainence" than for an existing problem. Once you get the current situation resolved continue to take the Miralax regularly to keep things moving and avoid the backup. Good luck.

Post subject: Thanks for the info
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:41 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks all for the info...First, I would like to say, I'm sure there is more info within these threads but lately, I haven't been able to get on the forum, as I have been really busy.. So rather read through these threads, I'm probably asking the same questions over that have already been asked.. So please bear with me on this one.

Hat - What type of stool softener do you take if you don't mind me asking? I just went back to Walgreen's and picked up Senna tablets "Sennosides 8.6mg" Once again this still says Laxative but also says stool softener...This one caught my eye as it says, I will have a bowel movement within 6-12 hours...and man it has been since Thursday AM.....I don't want to go through what I went through two times already..... I felt like I was giving birth and I was at work, I really thought I was going to hurt myself. Thanks for your info...

RTLmom - Yes, for the past two days I have been drinking much more water, Gatorade etc.... You must get up in the middle of the night a lot for drinking three glasses of water before bed.. :lol: Also, thanks for your info, I'm willing to try anything.....

Lilly - Excellent info......I'm really concerned, as I use to have two bowel movements a day and now I'm down to only a few a week. I have done nothing different in my treatment.....I am drinking more soda for some reason. Opiates have always drawn me to sweets and soda has always been a problem for me. I also don't see myself putting the "Soda POP" down anytime soon....it's so damn delicious with crushed ice... :lol:

Once again all, thanks for your suggestions...I will try them all and keep you posted, as this has become a problem that must be solved ASAP.

SuperBuper

SuperBuper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just use regular, store brand/generic stool softeners. I hope something works for you soon.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello,

Just wanted to give you a little advice too. I know all to well about constipation even on suboxone. The miralax should be taken everday to keep you regular so you don't get into another painful situation. Miralax is a stool softener. My dr told me i could even take it twice a day for a short period of time to help, then go back to the one capful a day. If using the miralax everyday and you have not had a bowel movement then you may want to consider glycerin suppositories or an enema. I know that may sound yucky right now, but they do work and you will go to the bathroom right away. If all of the above do not work, then you should seek advice from your physician....especially if it has been more than a week. As i am sure you know, i am not a dr and this is just what i have been told by a dr and my personal experience. Also, like the above posters said, drink plenty of water daily and i usually eat raisin bran to start my day of right. Good luck to you and i wish you the best. Take care

Post subject: Ahhhhh - what a relief!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:30 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

jlb191 - Thanks for your reply and info, I really do appreciate it....It's nice hearing everyone's experiences and seeing that everyone has some type of process in place that works.

Well all the good news is I believe the Senna tablets "Sennosides 8.6mg" did the job.... I took them last night and while I was at work today I felt the bowel movement coming on....I waited patiently while working until I knew it was time...... Ran to the bathroom and BAM, I had a bowel movement... It was actually more liquid (sorry for the picture) than anything which was surprising to me, as this obviously was not painful at all....I even feel another one coming on now... So I guess a combination of the Senna tablets and generic Miralax I am beginning to have bowel movements.. Oh also, for the first time in a long time, I drank about 5 glasses of water/gatorade each day so far for two days. I'm going to continue drinking water each day and just take the Miralax for the week and see how it goes.... Wow, what a relief it was not having to deal with the pain of being constipated, I was really concerned... The past few times have been extremely painful.

Once again all..thanks for the advice.

SuperBuper

Post subject: Quick Update
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:24 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

What a conversation I must say....but anyways......my bowel movements I have had recently are extremely small and not solid (better wording from last night) :lol: ... I think I'm going to take more of the Senna tablets tonight. I figured I would post this update as I don't think I'm out of the woods yet but I'm in no pain whatsoever. Thanks for listening.

SuperBuper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The occasional stool softener also seems to work for me. I take something called Dulcalax about twice a week and that works for me.

I am on 8mg of sub daily

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:28 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

junkie781 - Thanks for your reply too.....I'm also on the same dose of Suboxone......You know what's interesting.. I have been on Sub now for about six months and haven't had much of any problems with constipation until now.

Urinating has always been a problem for me while taking any type of opiates..more pronounced with Subs for sure. But at least with urinating I can always manage to go and it's never a painful situation. I have also noticed now that I am finally drinking water on a daily basis urinating has become easier. This is a positive experience for me, as I have always drank Soda all day long and never water... For me drinking water daily has been long over due so I'm happy this has happened to me because now I am hydrating my body properly... I truly believe things happen for a reason!

You know, I continiously want to say for me though the benefits of Sub are so tremendous that this minor problem I'm experiencing is really a walk in the park. Especially with the amount of support and information on this forum alone. I am already feeling better with the constipation and it really isn't a problem no longer. I just have to find what's going to work best for me and the schedule for taking stool softeners so I'm not taking them every day which doesn't seem necessary after reading all of the posts.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to reply, I'm keeping notes of the different laxatives/stool softeners people are using so I can experiment with different types to see which works best for me too.

See ya - SuperBuper