It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone...I've been agonizing over starting Suboxone for over a year now, the only reason why I need to do it is for financial reason and nothing else. I know this may sound crazy, but to be 100% honest, I personally enjoy being on opiates. I've been on them daily for going on 5 years and I like the effect they have on me. They help me perform better at work, they help reduce all of life's little stresses, and honestly if I could afford to keep going, I wouldn't see any reason to stop. Of course its been years since I've gotten any kind of real buzz, however I definitely still feel some type of effect while on them.

So having said that, I feel that I'm looking to quit not because I'm ready to change my life, but again, because I really can't afford to keep going. So in this scenario, is Suboxone the right option for me? The way I look at it is that by taking suboxone it will provide me with that opiate feeling that I desire and save me a lot of money at the same time. Is that correct, or am I missing something? I also am scared of the long term effects of Subs, but I already deal with constipation and low sex drive so that wouldn't be anything new. Is there anything else I can expect while being on Subs? I really appreciate any and all feedback. Thanks...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, my name is Queenie. I am the grandmother of the forum.

First of all, you are not going to get a buzz on Suboxone. What Suboxone will do for you is not let you get sick because you don't have the opioids. I have been on Suboxone for about 5 years and I never got a buzz or a high. I am, however, able to live a normal life.

I just thought I'd tell you that. Think about your reasons for starting suboxone.

I wish you the best of luck and health and I hope you stop the opioids.

Love, Queenie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

queenie thanks for replying, I don't get a buzz now on opiates, i've been at the same level for the past 3 years without increasing it, so at best they just help me sleep good. Rather then get me anything, what I think they do is take away stresses, pretty much just take the edge off. So does Suboxone not do the same thing since its a basically an opiate as well?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:10 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

hey skins,
believe it or not, but i quit twice because of finances. bought drugs instead of paying bills. 1st time around i had $30K on credit cards, cause i put every bill i could on cards plus food and gas. i refinanced the house to pay off all but $7K. i quit cold turkey and was clean 5 years.
then a shitstorm happened and i relapsed. again, i had over $40K on credit cards, was behind on the mortgage and almost filed bankruptcy. i chose suboxone this time and it has been amazing. you won't get a high. but like queenie said, you won't get sick from not taking them. i strted at 16mg a day 6 months ago and i'm down to 1.6mg a day now. at that small of a dose i'm not worried about any long term effects.
i have so much more free time now. i have 1 card paid off and i'm $100 ahead on my next house payment!
i also have to go to therapy once a month (i go more often) and that has helped me realize why i use and gain tools to help with that and for all the anxiety i have, too.

good luck! it can't hurt to try subs. i'm positive you will be happier with yourself and your life without all the baggage that comes with seeking and using.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sister, thanks for your reply. So couple quick questions, do you feel anything at all on the Subs? Not a high, but that you have an opiate in you, if that makes sense....Also, do you plan on staying on long term if its making you happy?

I guess I just have to give it a try. Like I said, I'd be happy staying on a controlled amount of opiates the rest of my life, but the cost is out of control. So I'm hoping that Subs will be a good replacement.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:34 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Sure Skins,
I don't feel anything at all! No high at all. I really can't explain it. I started taking them and it was just such a relief. The constant looking for drugs, taking drugs, running out of drugs, withdrawing without drugs was just gone. There are a few people, a couple on here, that take subs for depression. so it could have that effect as well, like an anti-depressant.
i'm going to stay on for at least a year. i'm on such a low dose now. dr. wants me to try skipping a day, but i still dose 2x a day. so i haven't tried it yet. i did lower mine from 2mg to 1.6mg though.
i have a family member that takes painkillers, so i'm around them constantly. that's one of the main reasons i want to stay on for awhile. to make sure the temptation is under control. 1 years has been recommended by many here.
do you have a place in mind to go to? do you know costs and such?
hope that helps!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes, that's definitely helpful. I have a friend that's been on Subs for about a year and he says that at most it gives him a boost of energy and that he does feel something, but nothing like being on opiates.

I just know myself, and if they do what I hope they do, then I don't see myself needing to get off them. What seems to be a common theme on message boards are people talking about how hard they are to get off, and how some regret starting them because they are so hard to get off. I guess I'm trying to figure out why do so many want to get off? If they keep you off opiates then why not just take them long term and live your life. Is there anything other than "hard to get off" that causes problems?

Sorry, I just think this is a big decision and want to be as informed as i can. This board is a big help.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:13 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

if you taper down really slowly then jumping off is supposedly not that bad.
a lot of it is in your head! just the anticipation of going into withdraws can make you feel them. i'd say take them for a year slowing tapering. then you can stay at a really low dose for awhile. than make that decision to jump off or not.

so how old are you? and where do you think you're life could be right now if you didn't spend all your money on drugs?

i love quoting samuel l jackson in black snake moan "get your shit together and live your life"
that one line is all i needed to get clean the 1st time. so true. watch the movie! or watch it again if its been awhile.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey SKB77,
Welcome back! Glad you are here. You crossed my mind a couple months ago!
I hope you and others reading this thread go back and search your skinsboy77 prior threads/posts bc will help others best help you. They are very interesting and relevant to your comment/questions today!! I hope this time, almost a year later, I hope you will be able to make a decision. It time... Best P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:00 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Sister, I'm 39 and yea I think about where my life would be and honestly, I don't have that many regrets. I make decent money, and of course I'd have a lot more if it wasn't for this habbit, but its a choice I made, now I just want to find a way to continue without going broke :).

Pelican, I'm surprised you remember me, I only posted that one time, but yea, your right, I have to stop dwelling on this and just either do it or not.

I guess worst case if I can try Subs for a couple weeks and if they are not for me then I can just go back to what I'm doing and try to taper down. I guess bottom line, I'm looking for a way to continue with some form of opiates without going broke. But I guess there is no real way to do that unless I go to medical school...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:47 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi Skins,
I am new to subs, started at the start of February this year. I felt the same that you are describing- feeling like opiates made me more productive, energized, etc (there were actually a lot of problems with my use- but I only saw the good aspects of my using- not saying that is how it is with you, just my experience) I also wanted to use opiates "every day for the rest of my life". I also suffer from major depression and used to self medicate, it seemed very effective. I feared the return of depression, pain (also a pain patient) and lack of productivity if my opiates were taken away. I was ambivalent about recovery and Suboxone.

I am still trying to stabilize on the right dose, so others can give you a better long term view. But for what it is worth, I will tell you what I have noticed. I've been sooo pleased. Never have gotten a high feeling- maybe a slight buzz- as in a calm yet energetic feeling. I feel like I have taken an opiate-not high, but "satisfied" or "relief" come to mind. My mood is great (not euphoric, just not depressed), my pain is completely controlled and things seem more clear to me. I am now a proponent of recovery and Suboxone. I believe it can be life changing. Everyone on Suboxone becomes physically dependent- you will have some measure of withdrawal if/when you decide to stop. It's just part of being on opiates long term. For some it's not bad, for others it's not great. There is a ton of great information on how to taper with the least amount of withdrawal. But if you need or want to get off you Can. Don't worry about getting off before you start.

Financial reasons for stopping- in my mind- great! It does not matter why you choose to change. Once you are out of the cycle of abuse maybe you can look at your old use, your values, and how you want to live going forward. Just do it.

My only word of caution is to try to use the medication responsibly and expect some sense of "satisfaction" or feeling of being "content"- Don't expect to be high. If you are looking for a high you will be disappointed. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:50 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

i posted this before, but i don't see it now? sorry if this ends up here twice...

anyway i think i said we are the same age, too! (i'm 40)

and 1st time i quit i bought a really expensive Harley. i couldn't have made the payments if i was using.
and do you have something you'd like to do or save for? cause you'd be able to do it. like travel without worrying about having enough roxys to take.

oh and i read your post from a year ago like Pelican said. and i can't believe you had the same questions back then but you haven't tried subs yet.
and of course you could go back to using if you don't like subs, but why would you want to go back?!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:12 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Tragic- Thank you for sharing your story, it makes a lot of sense and very helpful. I can completely relate to being nervous about giving up opiates and losing the benefits that they bring, but it sounds like you made the right choice and that's very encouraging.

Sister- lol, i know isn't it nuts that I've been thinking about it for this long ...Its just that I had the means to continue with opiates for this long, but now I've reached a point where I don't have that luxury so its time to make a decision.

Anyways, I think I'm just gonna go for it and take the leap. I have a couple weeks left of my supply and then I'm gonna take the leap to Subs. Ill post my results in case anyone is curious.

Thanks for all the great input. I really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:19 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I just wanted to chime in with my own experience and hopefully help, if I am able...
First, I felt EXACTLY the way you do about my opes. I had no desire to give them up... I was the epitome of a HIGH functioning addict... For a while. Until I started missing the "buzz". And once the pursuit was on I was O-V-E-R. Here I sit 20 years later and so much worse for the wear. But the highlight is suboxone.
Secondly, at first sub's make a terrific replacement. Almost like being on actual opiates, but not, if that makes any sense. But as you adjust to your dose this fades away to just normal, which gets kind of scary. If you bear with it though, and don't screw around while working through this part there is better on the other side. Its a kind of normal that well, I can't actually describe. I just feel healthier than I have in decades. And I don't have to live in fear about losing it. There is no sweating how i'm going to find what i need. Or worry over whats going to happen if this person doesnt come through before i run out. All i have to do is take my medication and live my, lol, sometimes overwhelming normal life now. That alone is cause to celebrate.
I hope you make the call that is best for you and not your addiction. Try to remember that addiction is progressive... It will get worse. Wishing you health, wellness, and peace of mind.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

well said post marie, Thanks. hits on how much time we waste before starting bup -- and getting our lives back. I hope skinsboy returns and reads this. last we heard, he's still in the stage of loving life on his oxy but can't afford the $$$$$ cost anymore.