It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Confused
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:00 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

My son has been on suboxone for around 3-4 months and recently had a relapse. The extent of which, to be honest, we are really not sure. We have caught him in lie after lie after lie so when he tells us something we have a hard time believing him. He has never come forward and said he has a problem until we have caught him. This last time we had a positive take-home drug test and he still would not fess up to it until we found the drug paraphanalia, which was a burnt spoon in his bathroom kit. He has started injecting the pain pills...he says it is the only way to bypass the suboxone. He said the reason he relapsed is because he forgot to take his suboxone one morning and while he was at work he said he started feeling shaky and having cold sweats so he got some oxycodone from one of his fellow employees and took it. He had some extra from what the 'friend' gave him so he continued to take them until he ran out. Again, this is his story so I have no idea how much is true.

Our whole family is wanting to help, but to be honest are ignorant as to what the correct process is. He started going to the meetings in the beginning, but hasn't been in forever. He has gone to 4 or 5 therapists but doesn't like any of them.

Now that you have some background, I have a few questions. Can missing one dose of suboxone have that much of an effect on him? Is it true that he would need to inject it to bypass the suboxone? If that is the case then how did orally taking the pill at work help him? Is in-patient treatment the next step?

Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi ez and welcome. I'm sorry to hear about your situation at home. It must be really hard for the whole family. Suboxone has a really long half-life - an average of about 36 hours. If your son has been on it and stabilized for 3 or 4 months, missing one dose shouldn't have that effect on him. At least that's not been my experience. Some people who are on suboxone simply forget a dose with no ill effects - it lasts that long. Once suboxone is in one's system, it will occupy the receptors strongly and taking other opiates will have basically no effect - in other words, they can't get high with the sub still in their system. I'm not going to say your son is bullshitting you, because that's not my place, but I'd be cautious at this point.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:41 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

That's kind of what I was thinking. Hard to determine what to believe what is coming out of his mouth these days.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:29 pm 
Hi ezduzit. Sorry you're going through such a hard time with your son. I would agree with what Mel said. I would also add that when I relapsed after 3 mos. on Sub I purposely skipped my sub dose for a couple of days so I could try to get high. The thing is, even after missing a couple of doses you can't get high on the same amount you did before sub. So maybe your son had to turn to shooting in an effort to get the effect he's looking for.
As far as what to do next - I really am not in a position to give advice. I think a lot depends on his age. I wish you all the best. This is a tough disease and I hope your son can get back into remission with suboxone.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The fact is injecting opiates does not "bypass" suboxone, nor would missing a single dose (or even a couple of doses) make it possible to get high, so it sounds like your son is still in the throes of active drug addiction, unfortunately.

All I can suggest is that you try to be there for him, and do what you can to avoid enabling him. Enabling him could be giving him money, or doing anything else that may contribute to him successfully getting and using drugs. What you'll want to try to do is focus on helping him get and take suboxone and helping him find a therapist that he "likes" but I've got to be honest with you here, because I think you want us to be as honest and blunt as possible: Your son will NOT get clean until he's ready to get clean. In other words, there is unlikely to be anything you can actually do to compel or convince him to get clean and work a recovery program including the suboxone. I'm sorry you are having to deal with this, but the fact is, it usually takes a lot of pain for an addict to finally try to get clean. I hope that for your son his "bottom" is a very high one. But he's probably going to have to hit some kind of "bottom" before he makes a genuine effort to get and stay clean and based on the little bit of information you've posted here, I don't really get the impression that he's serious at this point, but you never know.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like. We're here to help you and your son in any way we can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:18 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I have to agree with previous posts, missing one dose, in most cases, would not even be felt. I've missed doses plenty of times and never felt any negative side effects. Also in order to get high you really need to go atleast 36 to 48 hours with no suboxone IMO. Sometimes relapse is part of the process, I relapsed plenty of times and I am now coming up on 7 years clean and sober. Don't get me wrong, I would never tell an addict who is a week clean that relapses happen and is part of the process, but between you and I what your son did is not that uncommon. I have a 9 year old son and I started to use drugs at 12. The thought that my son is a few years away from that age keeps me up at night. I am scared to death of him going down my path. For 20 years my parents went though hell with me, in and out of rehabs and the constant lying. I don't think in all that time I ever went to them and told them I was using, I was always caught. On a possitive note I have a tremendous, loving relationship with my parents today. I asked my mom once how she dealt with all that and she said she knew she was dealing with the drugs not me. Hpefully some day all this turmoil will be a distant memory. Hang in there and maybe try to meet some other parents dealing with the same thing. Please keep us posted and feel free to IM me any time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:37 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you all for your replies and information. Never having been through anything like this I am trying to get as much information as possible. I know you are right and he will not be receptive to help (ours or anybody else's) until he wants to receive it. I had a long talk with his mother last night. We are divorced and biologically he is not mine, but I raised him since before he was 2. We are disagreeing on what to do next. Obviously the end decision is hers as he is with her and lives in her house. She wants to leave it in his hands and let him make his decisions on his future. If he wants a car, we won't buy him one, but will help him with the process. He has to pay for it, as well as gas and insurance. If he wants a phone, we will help him go through that process as well, but will not help pay for it. If he doesn't want to live under our roof, then we will help him find a place. We will not help him pay for it. If he wants to try college, we will help him for the first semester and see how it goes. She thinks that in his mind we are the ones that are driving him to the drugs by enforcing the rules that he has while in our houses. He keeps talking about being 18 and can't wait to leave, but if he really wanted to go he would of been gone. Fact is, until he hits a wall or rock bottom he is not going to want help...maybe this will work or maybe he will crash and finally ask us for help.

Sorry, I know there wasn't much point to this, but just typing it out seems to help.