It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:46 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello all. my girlfriend is recovering over a year now. Our doc subscribes suboxone for her in split perscriptions and the pharm allows her 4 refills per script. this allows us to get one a day from the pharm. its better for us than trying to come up with that huge lump sum all at once. We just got her and her little boy medicaid because she lost her job, and her doc says medicaid doesnt cover suboxone. He says that he accepts medicaid, but she would still need a different doc, as he isnt part of a plan, and that any doc that is prolly wont split the scripts up like he does. so this all sounds like we are screwed. does medicaid cover subs in florida? what about the doctor visits? her doc also says she cant pay cash out of pocket because if you have medicaid you have to use it. We are confused. Ive researched the medicaid sites and went to the sub web site. any one that can help us out with information on this or on a sub doctor in northeast fl that accepts medicaid would be very appreciated. Thanks so much

Post subject: Stuck
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:10 pm 

Hi Kane,

Sorry no one responded so far to your questions. It's most likely due to the lack of knowledge anyone here has about medicaid and that includes me.

By going to the medicaid site and doing all that research, you probably already know more about it by now then we do. I can tell you that I am pretty sure that medicaid rules don't change in different states because it is a federal program, not a state one.

She is in one tough spot and I don't have any suggestions on what she should do. All there really is to do is keep searching for a new Suboxone Dr. in Florida who doesn't take Medicaid. Unfortunately, that will be expensive. Can you help her financially? It'll run you some serious money unless you can find a compassionate Dr. out there. I've found one in two states so far so don't give up searching. Both of mine are just regular GP's who also prescribe Sub. If I paid cash for the visit I would try to negotiate a lower price similar to what the insurance would pay, which is about $95.00 per month. Then you have the cost of the Suboxone. There is a program for those with low income but you'd need to ask the Dr. Go to naabt.com and see what you can find there.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help,

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:22 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm sorry your friend is going through this... It is not, a good time to say the least.

After years and thousands of dollars later, I finally got on Medicaid bc of some work related injuries that my insurance wouldn't pay for (the irony of being in healthcare). The insurance paid for my script. That was half the battle. Then finding a different doctor who accepted it was a whole different story. I searched, did homework and made phone calls a priority with persistence. I found one who accepted me and I got in a month later. Personally, I needed suboxone at any cost, I was killing the bank way worse AND myself when using.

I believe most, not sure of all, suboxone doctors can only have an X amount of medicaid patients allowed receiving suboxone to participate in their practice. Same as they can only have X amount of suboxone patients period. Perhaps dr. J can help you understand it more, I am no doctor. Personally, if this friend is in a real bad way, I'd try to get them in with any doctor while searching for one that will accept Medicaid. However, it's financially straining as it is anything but cheap, and you could run the risk of running out of meds and not being able to afford your next doctors appointment/script

Look on the Internet, grab a phone book. Ask around. I even called Drs offices that didn't accept my insurance for help finding one .That's the most productive way to find out. Be persistent! You're being a good friend.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I also forgot to add that there are phone numbers on the back of insurance cards, definitely for Medicaid. Call them and explain the situation and they will try to assist you the best they can. Good luck!