It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:36 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

So after 12 years of daily opium usage (poppy tea), I'm about to take the leap to Sub.
I picked up my prescription today and it says suboxone 8 mg/2 mg. The instructions
are to put 1 under the tongue 3 times per day. If the 8 mg refers to the suboxone,
that would be 24 mg a day...which sounds like a huge amount. Could the 8 mg refer to the naloxone...but if
so that sounds like a huge dose of the antagonist. I'm very confused right now. Not to mention worried.

Would greatly appreciate some guidance. I go to a clinic and it's a project trying to get a message to
the doctor. Sometimes the people who answer the phones are less than friendly.

Many sincere thanks,
G.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:59 pm 

The 8 is suboxone and the 2 refers to the naloxone. So if that's 3 times a day, it's a pretty big amount...yes. I started out on 16mg (2 strips) and had a pretty hefty oxycodone or whatever I could find habit. I know nothing about tolerance when it comes to poppyseed tea...zero. Is it higher than regular opiates? I just don't know. There are a few ppl on this forum and at my clinic who do take 3 strips a day, so it's definitely not unheard of, but it's on the larger side of doses.

I'll give ya my advice, it's only advice so take it for whatever it's worth. I'd start out at 8mg (1 strip) and see how ya feel. If u feel better after an hr and don't think u need anymore then I'd stick with that dose daily. Of course explain it to ur doctor at ur next appt. If ur still feeling withdrawal then take a few mg more and wait a little bit....and so on and so I'm till u feel better. U don't even have to start out at 8mg if ya don't want to. U can do 2mg or 4mg until u get urself feeling better out of withdrawal. My clinic dosed me 2mg every 45 minutes until I got to 8mg and stopped. Then the next day I started my full 16mg dose daily from there. Not everywhere does it that way though, but it's a good way to start slowly.

I hope I didn't confuse ya lol. I'm on the run today but wanted to respond because it sounds like u needed some advice. Others will be along shortly also. Keep us posted!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Jenn's right. Right about every thing and I'd do just as she said do if hour looking to decrease your dose and not follow the Dr.'s directions. That is completely up to you. So that poppy seed tea, is it (?) must give you one heck of a tolerance or either you were drinking a huge amount. I say that because 32 mg is very much on the high side. You'll have to let us know how it's going. As I too, know nothing about this poppy seed tea. But, I would like to know more so I'll Google it. LOL I sure hope your induction goes well. Play it by ear and pay attention to how your body feels. Best of luck to you and hopefully you can give us a back ground later when you feel up to it as far as how you got addicted to the opium tea. That sounds very interesting to me though. Just saying. Good night. Bama girl

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:41 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks so much for your help bamagirl and Jenn. I'm not sure I'm comfortable taking so much as one time. I'd rather go at it slowly. But it's the film form of sub. Can I just cut them up?

I saw two doctors (sorry to confuse things). But the first one I saw wrote a prescription for 6 milligrams a day...2 mg three times a day to start. So I took that home and thought for a few days and decided there were a few things I didn't like about the guy. For one thing, his fees were sky high. And he wanted me to come back in 7 days...after induction....so I'd be slammed with another huge bill.

I decided to just go to a local clinic. He's a much nicer guy, and far cheaper. And he obviously decided I must have a huge tolerance. I likely do. After 12 years of building an ever bigger habit, I must. The thing with poppy tea, there's really no way of quantifying. It's not like taking, say 10 tabs of vicodin a day by which I assume a doctor can quickly calculate how much is needed.

I'm an anxious person to begin with. To tell you the honest to God truth, I'm scared s****less. The thought of precipitated withdrawal is terrifying to me as my understanding is there's no good way out. Nothing really to do but wait it out. Do you buys suppose my chances of PW are higher by slamming my system with such a high dose all at once? I'm a middle-aged guy and have my share of health problems (which was the reason I started out on the opium to begin with.)

I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate the help. The accumulated experience and knowledge around here is impressive.

Many very sincere thanks again..
G.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:16 pm 

How long did the doctor tell ya to wait from ur last dose of poppyseed tea to ur first dose of suboxone? And yes u can cut the films, I do and it's never caused any issues with cutting them. Normally ppl are told to wait anywhere from 24 to 36 hrs before ur induction. I waited 32 hrs and had no precipitated withdrawal at all, in fact I felt immediate relief. Like I told ya earlier, my doctor started me out at 2mg every 45 min (could've been 30 min...can't remember lol) until I reached 8mg. So that would be good for u since ur apprehensive about it. U could even do lower than 2mg if ya wanted to. Being in withdrawal, you'll start feeling better as u dose and that should help u decide on what dose is good for u.

There's also a COWS sheet u can Google online, and it helps rate ur withdrawal and ur score can tell ya when ur ready to start ur induction. My clinic had me wait 32 hrs and come in, then they did the COWS sheet. I think it's so much better for the patient to do induction in the office because it can be scary, I totally get it, I'd be scared too.

As long as u wait long enough, u shouldn't have PW. If for some chance that u do get it, just keep on dosing like normal and it will go away. I don't think u should rush, take the amount u feel comfortable with until u think you've hit ur perfect dose. I wish I could be more help but poppyseed tea is something I know nothing about.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:44 pm 

Also I wanted to add that there's been a few ppl over the yrs post about poppyseed tea. If u use the search function, and type in poppyseed tea, maybe it'll bring up a few posts from members that's been in ur similar situation. It's worth a shot :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I get confused easily when 2 threads are going so I copied your question from your poppy seed post to this induction post.

'would it be better on the first day to at least ease into things a bit, rather than slamming down 8 mg right out of the gate? I see that I can't cut the film I've been prescribed into smaller pieces..'

I'd go back and read over all of jennjenn's posts to you. She's got it all there. Your big concern is PWs, so yes, maybe its best for you as she's mentioned is done when tolerance is unknown, to ease into things a bit, start in small 2mg doses and work up as needed. No need or must have to start w 8mg, you can work up... that way you don't get any PWs... And yes, easy to cut the 8mg strip into 2mg pieces. Be sure to stop your tea and follow the COWS. check pupils.

Keep reading here and posting. the best bup info site ever! Wishing you my best! P

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks jenn and all....

That all makes good sense and is in line with what I've heard. It's a major relief to know the film can be cut. My wife thought maybe it's because the film doesn't contain a uniform amount of bupe throughout each piece. Maybe they're concerned about people cutting them up and selling them...though if so the last thing that would stop someone would be the instruction not to do so :-)

I've been told 24 hours should be sufficient wd time....depending ultimately on how I'm feeling. If I've not had a large dose I start to feel jumpy after 10 hours or so. For me the anxiety will be the hardest thing to deal with I think. I hate talking about it, but I have an anxiety disorder. I've learned through trial and error effective ways of controlling it, so that t's not so much a problem in day to day life....but in this case it's a primary symptom of withdrawal, so not sure how effective my usual methods will be.

It helps tremendously to realize there's a whole online community here for support. I feel less fearful already.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:40 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

My belief is that the pharmaceutical company says the film cannot be cut because they don't want people to taper and discontinue using Suboxone because it's $ out of they're pockets. How else can you explain why a drug that needs to be tapered to micrograms to successfully get off of it, comes as 2mg as it's smallest dose.
It's ridiculous.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:03 pm 

Hey Godfrey,
Just wanted to cheer you on with your induction Jen and Pelican have given you great advice and
to set your plan in motion.

It is all about tolerance. With Buprenorphine you are either lowering or raising the tolerance. Hopefully
your fears have been lessed .
Just wait as loug as you can stand. We all had to go though it for a time but in the end it ll be worth it Godfrey.

We ll be waiting for your next post. Best of luck sir..

Razor57

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the encouragement razor. I'm trying to look at it as a kind of karmic proposition....which is to say I've had many years of good results from my drug of choice and there's always a payback. And now it's time. Looking at it from that point of view, 24 hours or so of pain doesn't seem too terrible a price to pay...

But then again, then was then and now is now. I'm an addict, and like most of us given to running from pain of any kind like a panicked rabbit.

I'm thinking of doing this tomorrow. It's supposed to be a decent day weather wise around here so I'm thinking of going for as long a walk as I can stand to get through the beginning hours of withdrawal. Physical activity should help with the terrible restless legs I get (I get flailing arms as well)...Also I have blood sugar issues and exercise helps stabilize that. My sweet, supportive wife....so lucky to have her....will be with me every step of the way. I know I have to do this for myself, but I'm not sure I would were it not for her.

I'm not as fearful as I was previously. So that's a plus. It's just 24 hours more or less. Although sometimes it strikes me as an almost impossible eternity. I'll most certainly let you good people how I do....

Best to all,
G