It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This weekend has not been good for me. I have explained in other threads that I am not on suboxone yet because of a surgery I have to under go in several weeks. My g.p. has up my morphine dose until that time but it does come into effect until tomorrow. As with what happens all to often I ran out of pain meds on Thursday so have to go for the four days with no meds. Needless to say by last night I was feeling pretty rough. I went into the er today explain the situation and ask not for pain meds but gravol to keep from throwing up. The doctor had the tenacity to ask me what I was doing on such a high dose of meds and if I was selling them. I was floored. That is the last thing I would every do. He then called my gp to tell him I was drug seeking. I am lucky because I have been going to my gp for over 20 years. His reaction was she isn't stupid she has always asked for help when she needs it. Why do you think she is there.
The doctor did become more helpful after that but it just ticks me off when a member of the medical profession does more harm then good.
When I tried to explain to him what suboxone was and why I wasn't going on it until after my next surgery he sort of shrugged and said I know nothing about that drug and this is coming from a Er Doctor.
I hate to think about him treating patience on soboxone...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sorry you're having such a crappy time of it. Boy do I remember the constant running out of meds early and always going into withdrawals. It's never fun. Hang in there.

We've talked about uneducated doctors who lack any and all compassion when it comes to addiction. It's surprising and pathetic how little they know about both addiction AND suboxone. One of the thoughts behind this is that the manufacturer, Reckitt Benckiser, has dropped the ball and done next to none (if any at all) education/training of doctors about suboxone. Most pharmaceutical companies have reps that go to doctors/hospitals to educate medical personnel about their products. RB's ONLY medication they manufacture is suboxone (I believe they are a cleaning products company). So personally, I blame RB for this failure. And unfortunately the ones who suffer from this failure is US.

It then leaves us to end up educating our doctors, which isn't the way it should be. Too many doctors/medical personnel hear suboxone, don't understand that it's a remission/recovery treatment, and think - erroneously so - that we are still in active addiction and are just drug seeking. It's pathetic, if you ask me.

That said, obviously not all doctors are this way. Some doctors, both in private practice and in all departments of hospitals are extremely informed about both addiction and suboxone. Just like all people, there are good and bad.

Sorry to have gone off on that tangent/soap box. I'll step down now.

Please hang in there and stay busy/active and try to distract yourself. Did the ER doc end up helping you?

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
I'm sorry you're having such a crappy time of it. Boy do I remember the constant running out of meds early and always going into withdrawals Did the ER doc end up helping you?

Yes he did give me a shot of gravol. Also as well a lecture on how I should keep in mind that this was entirely a problem I created for myself. Like I haven't heard that one before. Anyway it's all over and done with now so I am chalking it up to another good reason to keep on trying to work throw my issues.