It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:01 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I've been around this site for nice chunk of time now, I haven't been back to post anything in a long time though. I've been weening down trying to get off the Subs because of cost and other issues. I started out with 32mgs a day, and I'm down to 6mgs most off the time and some times 8mgs. I slowed down the tapering because the side effects where just becoming to harsh, but I might have to speed it up faster then ever, because the Doctor is raising the price so often.

I'm on SSI and I only get a set amount of money, and the cost of food and everything else is going up. Since my Doctor has a waiting list of people he has got incredibly unconcerned for his patience. Every couple months he makes things stricter, like making us sign a form saying of we cancel an appointment more then once, he will terminate treatment. It states that, not having the money to cover you appointment, being sick, and a list of other things are not expectable excuses. He's worse then any drug pusher I've seen, it's like have my money when I say or we're done doing business, knowing people need this treatment, so people are stealing to cover the cost like they had a street habit.

The worse part is over the past year he keeps raising prices ever couple months. From $100 to $125, $150 and now $200, being on SSI that's almost 1/3 my whole income. I can't afford that, jobs and income are down, gas and everything up. He has no reason to bring the price up other then he can, and we will pay it because we need the treatment. My choices are cut back on food, clothes, and other items you need to live to pay for my appointment, or stop with my sub treatment. In cutting back I noticed the old feeling coming right back after all this time, wanting to smoke weed or get high in anyway is becoming a daily issue.

I've also been feeling a ton of stress, and having panic attacks that are seriously strong and long lasting, it's just leaving me sick and wore out all the time. That's what I need the help with, I'm looking for a forum the deals just with anxiety and panic attacks, like how this forum focuses on suboxone. If anyone knows of a good site to help me with that please provide the information to me. If there is anything you can think of that I can do about the price hikes that might get him to bring his cost down, if there is anything at all I can do, it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for reading my post and any information you can provide me with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Dotta, sorry you are going through all this - no wonder you're having anxiety. The best solution I can think of is to locate a new doctor. Both Suboxone.com and naabt.org (I think?) have sub doctor locators. Also, there is a link at the top of the main page of this forum that says Find a Doctor. Is your doc making you get the sub from him? There is a $75 discount card available from the manufacturer that you can use for the films. Many doctors are giving them out, but you can also get one at Suboxone.com.
You sound like you really need to stay on sub right now because you have the urge to get high. Maybe you'll stabilize around 4-6 mg which is still above the ceiling, but will be a lot cheaper than your former dose. I hope you can find a new doc. Good luck.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:05 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

This really is an issue....and I'm very skeptical about many of the doctors who prescribe Sub...selling it out of their offices, charging outrageous amounts for visits, changing the rules, adding new tests, whatever they want to do they can do...and many of these dr have learned that about this medication.....I bet we, as recovering addicts, are the only group of patients that are treated like this....many other patients NEED their meds, too, but don't go through this. I continue to believe that addiction medicine is the most highly regulated area of medicine and if they would stop this cap of patients then the doctors who DO know what they are doing in this area of medicine can do their job...and leave the PCP's, family doctors, and pediatricians to do the jobs they are trained to do....most do not understand addiction and 70% of addicts have a dual diagnosis (mental health diagnosis) and so we have complex mental health histories to deal with that PCP's just are not equipped for....they know the basics, but we need doctors who get it. And doctors who will research Sub, too.

Sub is a very complex medication and I know more will be revealed about this medication....I do have to say, however, and this will piss people off I'm sure, but oh well....addicts as a group do have a bad rap because many of us DO have histories where we've canceled appointments at the last minute without notice, not paid our bills, been schizy in some areas of our lives. I know I have. I work hard to NOT be like that any more....recovery is about owning up....but I can understand why providers might begin to do what seems like change the rules mid stream....Mental health is a difficult field to work in sometimes. Having a private practice in mental health means many cancelled appointments, no shows, bounced checks, "I forgot my checkbook", and it gets old. I've had to change my policies because of it as well. It puts the burden on others who do have real issues that crop up and of course emergencies do happen....I take each situation individually but the fact is this happens every single day and as much as I'd love to do this pro bono, I cannot. if I could, I would.

That said, there ARE doctors who have compassion. They have rules and boundaries, which they need and deserve, but they also have compassion...so if you have a doctor you are not comfortable with and if you have choices (some of us don't...some areas do not have prescribers near by) then do the footwork to find the right provider for yourself. And, I know that it is not only addicts who cancel appointments and are no shows....but the majority of my clients who do this ARE addicts...either in recovery or not. I've had alcoholic and addicted attorney's say they forgot their checkbooks....seriously...it DOES get old.

As far as money for Sub...I am sure you've researched your area for the best prcies...sam's club sometimes is cheapest (or costco) and i've found in my area that Rite Aid is the cheapest and they work to get me what I need. If you can get to a dose of 4mg that would also help....and i know its hard. I'm struggling with the financial burden of Sub, as well, paying out of pocket for all of it.

Also, I wanted to ask what you are doing for other areas of your recovery....just stopping the drugs isn't the answer and finding a supportive recovery group or having a good solid recovery program that you work out with a counselor will help you immensely. I hear you say that you have cravings when you decrease your dose and that makes it challenging...but if you don't change the reasons you used in the first place (and I do not know your history so I have no idea how you ended up on Sub, etc) or deal with feelings or all those other reasons a lot of us use, then you will struggle.

So, I know paying for a therapist isn't an option, but SMART recovery and AA/NA are free...and if you've never gone you might check it out and see if you can find help that way. there is a thread here, too, about recovery and different ways we all work a program that might be helpful.

There are dual diagnosis groups around....for people who suffer from addiction and another mental health issue like anxiety, or depression. You are not alone in that....Many of us have anxiety or depression....so check your area...call treatment centers and ask if they know of any dual diagnosis groups....it might be a way to get some help. Some therapists do pro bono clients and you might want to call around, looking for counselors who understand addiction and dual diagnosis, and find out.

Good luck and keep moving forward...keep posting about what's going on if you are comfortable doing that...it can be very cathartic.