It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: compared to opiates
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I will be starting Sub's shortly and I'm just wondering if I should expect to have the same side effects that I currently have on opiates or will they get a bit better or perhaps worse? So my major 2 side effects on opiates is constipation and low sex drive. It seems like from other posts that both constipation and low sex drive are still symptoms on subs, but is it at all any better compared to when you were on opiates?

Post subject: Re: compared to opiates
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:17 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Guess it's pretty similar I never had low sex drive before suboxone tho. Maybe it's just a time on opiate thing I know it decreases testosterone levels. When I went on suboxone I didn't notice many physical changes at all mostly just mental as you don't have the constant ups and downs of chasing a high anymore

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 8:05 am 

Hi Skinsboy77, Welcome! I do not have the constipation issues that some talk about. As far as the low sex drive, yes, but I do believe that being a 56 year old woman in menopause plays a huge role in that! Happy you are here! Stick around, I am sure more will respond soon! In the meantime, you may want to check out specific threads that address both issues. Have a great day!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Opioid agonists reduce testosterone levels, and buprenorphine does too, to a lesser extent. But it gets hard to straighten out (trying to avoid puns here) what part of reduced sex drive is from low testosterone, and what part is from normal aging, mood problems, time in a relationship, and poor self-image-- all which tend to reduce sex drive as well. The same is true with depression. Depressed people have no sex drive, so starting an antidepressant might improve things, even though they generally reduce sex drive in 'normal' people.

Buprenorphine's actions are almost entirely through mu opioid receptors-- so any side effects will be similar to the side effects of opioid agonists, but without the ups and downs as Impala said. Because the mu effect is constant, tolerance eventually removes most side effects. Constipation seems to be the last thing to go, and some people seem to have constipation indefinitely... but again, some non-opioid-dependent people have long-term constipation problems, so its hard to say (another pun) for sure if the bupe is the cause of the problem.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 8:03 am 

I noticed the puns right away lol.

I'm just convinced that life in general can make ur sex life change. Regardless of being on suboxone or not, even just having the same partner for awhile can slow down the ol sex life ya know? I know sub does affect it a little bit just like any opiate would, but if I'm in the mood I do it lol. I do get in the mood often but I remember going through a phase of hardly wanting to at all because I was tired all the time from working so much with my brother. So I just think life in general can also be a big reason ppl's sex drive has issues.