It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:32 pm 

I wrote a long comment on an article about families losing their loved ones to heroin. My comment is awaiting moderation. Meanwhile, the moderators of this article have published other comments that came after mine. I think I may be getting blocked because I advocated buprenorphine use. I am very upset about not having my voice heard. I went out of my way to be completely honest! If anyone wants to check out the article and leave a comment yourself, I encourage you to do that. Maybe if the mods there hear from enough of us they will relent. Just tell your story!

This is what I wrote in the comment section of this article:

http://medicalhealthcare.pw/heroin-stop ... versation/

"Please, please, please consider encouraging your loved one on heroin or pills to try buprenorphine, especially if they can’t get out of the cycle of relapsing! Buprenorphine (brand name suboxone) is not a cure, nor is it replacing one drug with another. What it is is a tool. Buprenorphine that puts active addiction into remission for the amount of time the addict takes it. It is not a perfect medication, but it does two crucial things. It takes away the dreaded withdrawal symptoms and it takes away cravings. That sounds simple; it takes away cravings. But that means that the addict no longer is obsessed with their drug of choice. When I was inducted on buprenorphine my withdrawal symptoms were gone by the time I left my doctor’s office. Within 12 hours I noticed that I was no longer obsessing over my drug! Such freedom! I have been on this medication since 2011. I have used the stability that buprenorphine provides to turn my life around. I am in graduate school. My relationships with family and friends are wonderful. I live a full and fulfilling life! Scientific evidence shows that 67% of addicts on buprenorphine stay in recovery and avoid relapse and overdose while on this medication. Compare that to 5% to 10% of opiate addicts who go through an abstinence based recovery program. 90% of opiate addicts are relapsing, often after a period of sobriety which lowers their tolerance to opiates. Then when they relapse, they take the same amount they were on before and overdose. It’s not because they aren’t ready to commit to their program. It’s because addiction has changed the pleasure/reward/inhibition circuitry in their brains that drives their compulsive behavior. Buprenorphine covers and strongly adheres to the opiate receptors in the brain. Because it’s a partial agonist (the opiates of abuse are almost all full agonists) an opiate-tolerant addict does not feel high on this medication and the medication does not cause as much respiratory depression, (the cause of overdose death). Can buprenorphine be abused? Yes! It can be abused, diverted, used in a way inconsistent with recovery. It can cause side effects and it takes work to taper off of it when the addict is ready. It can be very expensive depending on your insurance or what brand it is. There are negatives to buprenorphine! However, it keeps addicts from overdosing and dying! Once an addict takes their dose of buprenorphine they could then shoot up with a bunch of heroin and they would never feel it. The opiate receptors are already attached to molecules of the medication, so any other opiate is blocked even if ingested/snorted/shot up. The stability provided by this medication allows the opiate addict to work on recovery, be a parent, keep a job, and be a responsible adult. So support your addicted loved one in a decision to go on buprenorphine therapy. Help them get started on suboxone. And don’t try to force them to quit once they are on it. Their life may depend on it."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:28 pm 

Amy I left a comment and mine says "awaiting moderation" also. Hopefully it'll get through. I posted under JJ lol.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I received some nasty emails after my comments. I don't understand it-- if a person has found the answer through the steps or some other form of recovery, what fuels the anger? Aren't those programs supposed to FIX the problems with resentments and anger, that they claim fuels addiction in the first place?

You don't see anyone who supports medication assisted treatment going to AA, and yelling at people for their choice of treatment. So I don't get why those people are so angry....

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:45 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I posted a reply. ...mine says awaiting moderation also ???? So we will see.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:51 pm 

suboxdoc wrote:
I received some nasty emails after my comments. I don't understand it-- if a person has found the answer through the steps or some other form of recovery, what fuels the anger? Aren't those programs supposed to FIX the problems with resentments and anger, that they claim fuels addiction in the first place?

You don't see anyone who supports medication assisted treatment going to AA, and yelling at people for their choice of treatment. So I don't get why those people are so angry....

Wait, Dr. J. So you tried posting on this article today and received nasty emails? Then their whole "Stop the Silence. Tell the Truth." title is bull! They only want some to speak up and tell their censored truth.

There are many heart breaking stories in the comments section from people who have not yet lost their loved ones who are opiate addicts! Keeping them from hearing our message is a tragedy! As far as I'm concerned these mods have blood on their hands.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:42 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm sorry-- I was referring to emails from the article I wrote about in the post I left yesterday! I just read this article though, and I'm going back to comment now...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:55 pm 

Agreed Amy,
It just seems to me they wanted a "type" of story. So so sad some of thoughs posts. It looked to me to be the same story as we all have read, or witnessed ourselves. Many times as I read I just shook my head. So many would still be alive today, so many could be safe, if only the World would give respect to MAT.

As Dr J has said, and it sticks to me and oftened repeated, Yes It would be great if we could all be "drugfree". That just isnt possible. Or if rehab and traditional recovery always worked.

Amy that was a informative and honest post, the mods just were not looking for it nor a plug for "drug replacement ".

There right on one thing though, Standing up and trying to kill stigma can go aloug way. I may be talkin out my a**, but I hope you gave them more facts Dr J.

Damn, I deal with this stuff here in town every week. People cant get pass giving drugs to drug addict s. Such a waste of life that could have had a much better ending. Thank God we are the lucky ones. I know I am . Peace my forum friends..

Razor. ..

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:19 am 

I just figured out what to do. Write your comment without saying buprenorphine, suboxone, etc. and it should get posted right away. I was just able to post a comment that didn't mention the buzz words and it doesn't have to await moderation. Describe your experience, but avoid the words that might have been set to trip off the awaiting moderation alarm. See if that works!

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:52 pm 

Hi Amy, I too made a comment awaiting the moderator's approval. We will see what happens!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amy, I see your posts. Between your 2 back to back posts there, I can see that a reader will make the connection to bup. Well done. My post is awaiting moderators approval.

I find it ironic that this site is named 'medical'healthcare...

I read ~170 of 231 posts and could not finish... Was sickened by reading of death after death with toddlers left w no mom or dad and parents wo their children -- and no comments on MAT except 1 ODed after stopping methadone and 1 said sub is wrong...

Imo, this author was primarily interested in highlighting the heartbreak and agony of heroin addiction and yet not mention solutions... Besides from this thread, I wonder how many other pro MAT comments are awaiting approval...

After reading the article, I'm less frustrated that my path to learn of bup was long. I now feel grateful. Thank goodness I was one of the lucky ones... I first learned of bup while in rehab when another resident snuck it in and she did well.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:14 am 

I really hope so! The way the admin responded to my comments I can't tell if he or she even knows English! It's obvious that there is a filter on the comments. I had to self-censor pretty heavily to get a post published. And it published right away, so there are some comments that are automatically being kicked to moderation.

I know! By the time I was done reading those comments I was sickened as well and couldn't wait to offer some hope for all of those still-living addicts. I have another comment awaiting moderation after a woman said her husband thinks their son's addiction is a choice and he could just stop heroin if he wanted to. Ugh!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:51 am 

Amy, I see that your posts have been posted! Still waiting for mine to be approved. I agree with Pelican, so many had lost someone and it is so tragic! Especially when we know about suboxone and how many it has saved! Hopefully, going forward, they will approve more of our comments more quickly!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:56 am 

I made a total of 4 comments. Two are still awaiting moderation. Are you saying that you see 4 by me? Or just the two short ones? I just checked it and the 2 longer posts where I'm really specific are still awaiting moderation. If you see something different, please tell me. Thanks for checking!!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:56 pm 

Yes, sorry, you are right. I only see two from you and I see mine is still pending mod approval. It will be interesting to see what happens. There does not seem to be many additional comments so the article maybe losing attention. Too bad, our comments about suboxone could really help so many! I applaude you for keeping up with this! So important!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:41 pm 

Sorry it's taking me so long to get to this but now that I clicked on the URL it won't load. Either their site is down or I'm getting blocked for some reason. I even typed it out verbatim and that failed too. My guess is it's their server. I'll try again later today or tomorrow.

We got your back Amy!

rule

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:47 pm 

If anyone is having trouble with the link google "heroin start the conversation". About 2/3 down the page you will see "Heroin. Stop the Silence. Speak the Truth. Start the.." and the website it shows is medicalhealthcare.pw. There is a date it shows too, March 16, 2016. This is the site I've been trying to comment on.

If you're trying to comment, be as specific as possible without actually using the words suboxone, buprenorphine, MAT, medical assisted treatment, etc. There is a word filter on the comments that will cause your comment to wait for "moderation" and it will never get posted.

There is actually a blog started by the same woman who wrote this. This exact same article is there. Here is a link to her blog:

https://stopthesilencespeakthetruth.wordpress.com

There are 655 comments in the comment section. I'm about to add one more. Let's see if the original author will accept my comment!

And thanks Rule and the rest of you for trying to educate the world of our truth!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:55 pm 

Hi Amy, I went back and wrote another comment that I "buped down" and it did not go through. Maybe they stopped accepting comments on that article. There has not been any since your last one approved. I will check back tomorrow. It is so sad to read all those storys and think about how suboxone may have saved them!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I read the article, and think it's sad. Sad that a loving mother poured so much money into a treatment modality that has significantly less than 1 in 10 chance of creating lasting abstinence. And I highly doubt any of the rehabs or facilities her son was admitted that fact before she signed over her money, and her son.

I'm not surprised your pro-Sub comments were censored though. People who come from the abstinence movement are generally very anti-Suboxone and anti-methadone. People in AA are even staunchly opposed to Antabuse, Naltrexone and Campral, even though they're not dependence forming at all. Why? Because keeping yourself from relapsing is your Higher Power's domain, so using medication is, according to people in the rooms, a substitute for belief in a higher power. We're all making medicine our higher power.

And honestly the only reason I have that insight and can question those beliefs is because I was a member of the abstinence movement for a long time.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:43 am 

Yes, the OD deaths were sad for sure, in the original post and in the many comments. What I found even more sad, however, were all the family members who still have loved ones out there in the endless cycle of relapse and short stints of sobriety. There they are, begging for help for their parents or kids or cousins or grandchildren. I felt a sense of desperation to tell my story, knowing that I had an answer for at least some of their problems. And then I was blocked! We are all blocked! So frustrating.

I did post a comment on the author's blog where the original article is at:

https://stopthesilencespeakthetruth.wordpress.com

It's the same comment I tried to post on the site where I originally found this story, the same comment as I copied into my original post above. I'm posting there under the name "Amy M.". Someone came along after me and mentioned that he, too, is a sub proponent. The comments seem to be staying put.

Here's the irony for me this week, TJ. In my Addiction Counseling Theory course we are to read the NA book chapters 1-5, and comment about our opinions of the NA theory. Do you mind, TJ, if I quote what you wrote in your post here for my class discussion? I would change the reference from AA to NA if you agree to it that your point is equally valid for NA. It would also be helpful if I could give a couple of details of your background, namely how long you were an 12 steps proponent before you came to your current realization. If you don't want to list that stuff on this thread, could you PM me? What you've written is exactly the point I wanted to make about NA to my classmates, many of whom are not addicts but have mindlessly jumped on the 12 steps bandwagon anyway. I would appreciate your help.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No worries Amy.

I did NA (and to a lesser extent AA) off and on from the age of 21 to 31. But 3 or 4 of those years I left the rooms of NA because I wanted to stay on Suboxone (the same time I used to post on this forum some years ago), so I only really consider myself to have been an active member of NA for 7 years or so. Towards the end of those 7 years I really started to question the program. And that was mainly because it became more and more obvious my personal experiences didn't match what they teach in the program. For one, I actually achieved more in terms of life standing and achievement while I was on Suboxone than I did while I was "in the rooms". on Suboxone I was receiving good marks at uni, running my own business, I travelled, held onto healthy relationships and friendships. In NA I was either stuck in the "early recovery" purgatory where sponsors told you not to study or pursue relationships, or I was relapsing and "starting over". I also never had a problem drinking manageably, which according to NA is impossible if you're a "true addict". But the main thing that made me start to question the NA program was the fact that I kept relapsing despite following the directions of the program. Every time I relapsed I'd actually increased my meeting attendance because I knew I was struggling, I was calling my sponsor, doing stepwork, service, you name it.

The last time I was in the rooms I was exposed to a lot of hypocrisy by the older-cleaner-members as well. I saw the same people who are called time and time again to share because they have a "strong message" go onto prey on newcomer women, even feeding newcomer women drugs and/or alcohol to get them into bed. Meanwhile you'd hear them telling newcomer men to stay away from women in the rooms. There was even a lesbian with significant time up who would rarely share without scalding men for being predators, go on to sponsor an attractive albeit homeless newcomer, give her a roof on the insistence that she sleep in her bed. There's a heap of stories sadly just like this. If I had a daughter who struggled with addiction, a 12-step fellowship is the last place I'd want her to go.

Anyway if there's anything else you wanna know let me know.

Last edited by TeeJay on Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.