It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

They know that because I had mentioned it to my OB...who were very non judgmental about it. It was written in the records that were sent to the hospital.

They offered me percocet, but I don't really want to waste my time on it..motrin is doing the job with the pain, and one percocet won't do enough or last long enough for it to be worth taking, even to fight off the little bit of w/d that I feel. Just not worth it. Plus..if I take one..ill want to take more..and then ill wonder if ill get a script for it, and then..well, you probably know.

Thanks for your help :) What a long and crazy day...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congrats Eleven!!

I think waiting 12 hours after your last pain meds is the consensus i have read on here. Thats concerning going back to sub after post op pain meds and even that is after like a week of pain med use...

Gb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Update-- Things are going good. The baby still has no signs of NAS that I would be able to distinguish from normal infant behavior. She is sleeping a lot, hardly cries, eats decently...she has spit up a few times, though the nurses think that it may be the formula and if it happens enough they want to change her formula..this might be a symptom of NAS, and it might not. We will see. She seems to be doing really, really well!!

A social worker just came up to my room and said she looked at my chart and my first thought was, "oh shit..here we go.." but all she mentioned was that in the first trimester I had tested positive for marijuana and that because it didn't happen again, it wasn't a big deal, she wouldn't report it..and to just be careful. If she saw that, it was the chart from my OB, which had all of the info of my past and sub..though she did not mention anything about it..so, good luck so far with all of this! It seems that my choice of not being super chatty about sub at the hospital has gone smoothly...as of now. I really hope that things continue to go this well.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am so glad things are going well!
It seems like they definitely do know about your sub, right? I find it weird that they don't talk about it just from a medical standpoint but it seems to me from everything you have told me that there is no way they didn't find out. And by the way, I'm just talking about it, I don't mean that it is a negative thing. I just don't see how they would NOT know if they know all of the other information you have told us about. I am guessing that since it is prescribed, they don't care & you just happened to get a great group of non-judgmental people taking care of you.
about the social worker- I had the same thing happen to me, they came in and talked to me about testing positive for opiates throughout my entire pregnancy. I just told them that I took norco for my migraines when needed and that's why i tested positive. My OB backed me up saying, Yeah, I prescribed them to her... even though she didn't, but hey, I wasn't going to correct her. Lol.
And you are probably right not taking the percocet. I know exactly what "one" percocet leads to... we all do..... Kudos for being smart.

Random, but I did wonder about one thing you said in your previous post about your labor... You said that in the beginning, you asked for pain meds, and they gave you Nubain... Why did they give you that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Bella-- I really don't know if they know..you would think that if they did they would be monitoring her wayyyy more than they are. They rarely even see her..vitals like..once a day so far. Maybe they know about the sub but do not know WHAT sub is, and therefor are not pursuing it. I really have no idea, but I am glad that things are going the way that they are. The only issue is that she is not eating as much as she should be..I was going to breast feed, but decided to bottle feed. I really want to take her home tomorrow so I hope that she starts eating just a little bit more.

It's so funny because any thing that I have read about on NAS and womens personal experiences points to the hospital staff being biased in some way. I have had nurses point out this and that and tell me it is completely normal and why the baby does it, how to ease her through it, etc...I can't help but think that if they thought she was at risk for NAS they would be telling a totally different story.

As for Nubain...I don't know, I assumed it was standard for labor pain?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yeah you're probably right. It does sound like they do know about the sub but don't really know what it is. Because if they know so much about your history I can't imagine them not knowing about the sub. Anyway, about her beating. Are you worried about it being related to withdrawal? Because I really don't think it would be related. I could be wrong and I'm not a doctor but feeding problems are just very common in newborns. I think you just have to try different things such as different formula different nipples et cetera. There are so many things that could be causing the baby to not eat as much as it should.you Really shouldn't worry about it being related to withdrawal unless it's very obviously connected. Just my opinion.
And yeah the only horror stories that I hear about women in the hospital are just the way they are treated and stuff.

Post subject: Congratulations!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:43 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Congratulations, Eleven! I'm so happy you had your baby and things are going well. That's such great news! Sorry you had to go through a long, painful labor, but at least its over now. Also - it's great to hear that everyone in the hospital is treating you with respect. Sounds like your little one is doing great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Update--

Everything seems great! Baby is eating wonderfully, sleeping lots, not agitated or tense or shakey. No signs of NAS. We get to go home in an hour or 2 even!

I am not recommending that anyone keep information from their caregivers, but I AM GLAD THAT I DID! If there had been any distress at all in my baby, I would have very quickly talked about the sub...but I am confident that my choice NOT to has probably saved us some stress and hassle. My baby has been comfortable and happy the entire time so far. I will keep a close eye on her for any signs of NAS.

Thanks everyone for your support!

Post subject: update
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just wanted to give a little update..

We left the hospital after spending 2 nights. She doesn't seem to be showing any extreme signs of NAS, but possible signs none the less. She sneezes more than what I think is normal, she twitches a little bit at night, gets a little restless. Her legs sometimes seem a little bit tight. She has not been inconsolible though. My advice for new moms who will be taking home a sub baby is to HOLD THEM CLOSE. When she is tightly held against me she falls asleep instantly. We have had 0 sleep issues, so that is good. She does not cry more than a normal baby either. Holding her close seems to stop any fidgets or grumpiness that she has. I am not breast feeding, though, I will be pumping as soon as I can get a pump. I have heard this may also help with any possible NAS issues.

5 days since she was born, 5 days she has gone without sub being put into her system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also..gently and rhythmically patting her on the back or butt while holding her against my chest helps to relax her legs and soothe her. So..I recommend that as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think swaddling can also help. Babies are used to being all squished up tight. My daughter slept better swaddled or in my arms (I wasn't on opiates then, that's just how she was) and I kept her in a sling most of the time during the day so she would still be close and snuggly and I could use my arms.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

haha...I may need to invest in a sling..this baby LOVES to be close to me!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So glad things are going well for you and your baby! It makes me feel so much better knowing my baby can possibly not have any NAS or discomfort! Just curious though, in a couple of posts a couple of you mentioned that you were tested throughout your pregnancy for opiate, or marijuana. I didnt think dr. could drug test you. I'm not taking any drugs besides the subutex(which is prescribed), but I did not tell my ob about it...and if they did test me I wouldnt want them to think I was keeping it from them or using it illegally. Also...it is normal for fentanyl to be in an epidural? Did you get back on your subs without a problem after using the fentanyl/epidural?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

momma30--

I was drug tested via blood which I think is standard with all the blood work they do in the beginning..at least, it seemed standard. As far as I know that is the only time that I was tested, though, when the social worker came to me in the hospital about the first trimester marijuana she said, "since you only popped in the first trimester" means it is possible i was tested multiple times. Suboxone is not one of the drugs that shows up on a standard drug screen, so I wouldn't worry if I were you. It does not show up as an 'opiate' like heroin or pills would, and it does not show up on the methadone panel either. They would have to order a specific test for it to check for it.

As for the fentanyl...from what I researched it is pretty standard in an epidural. I was able to feel its effects a tiny tiny bit. I started taking the sub the next day with no problems..though I have never had problems making the switch back to subs and I think it is due to my high metabolism.

I hope that you have a good experience like I did. Just try to taper down in the last couple of weeks, that is what I did..to 2mg a day.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

They usually drug test throughout the entire pregnancy these days. At least thats what I have seen With myself and everyone I know. When the social worked talked to me after the baby was born, before we were discharged, she asked me questions about stuff I was taking during the pregnancy and it was definitely made clear that they tested me at all of my appointments. And like eleven said, the sub won't show up on their tests unless they are specifically looking for it.

Post subject: Terrifying
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am so glad you have had your baby and all is well. You and your husband are very brave.

I am horrified that a mother and child can be placed in such a dire situation over a medicine that is prescribed. There has to be a way to fix this. I was placed on Suboxone to get my Demerol tolerance down so that I could have my Pain Pump implanted. Now, I am having similar issues, and wasn't warned by my addictionoligist. But then I might have chose a different solution. He wouldn't have gotten 46,000 from me.

We need to stand up for our rights and stop such treatment. Even if, we only do it for the newborns and not ourselves. There must be a lawsuit over such treatment? But, if we do anything they can deny us. Such a horrible situation there has to be someone that monitors this.

Sorry, I am just outraged. You have to sit around worrying. Your baby could be suffering. Withdrawal hurts. This situation is dangerous. Hopefully, I will be one of the lucky ones that can be without suboxone. So that, I never have to be in such a dilemma. Sob... No mother and child should have to be. Ever...

Do you know if Butrans gets the same response?
Fyi, all doctors and hospitals drug test if they take blood or urine. Total invasion of privacy.