It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Coming off methadone
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey all. This is my gf's account. But I wanted to tell about my methadone experience. She chose the suboxone rout but I went the methadone way cuz for me it familiar territory. I am 27 years old, have a great career and need to change my ways again. I did this all once before for she 20-24. I was taking oxycontin 80-160mgs a day for 3-4 years. Wen I was early in my 23 year I decided I needed to changes my life. At the time methadone was my only know option. After the third time enrolling the program at age 23 I decided to listen to the councilors an get on maitanence program. I was on it a total of alittle over a year and a half, still using half he time. But about half ways through I teuely wanted to get clean. I stoped using and continued on my dose of 50mg a day. After a few months I started my taper after I felt confident I no longer wanted to use. So I began to reduce my dose one milligram a day until I got to 20mgs. And since I was truly clean for about 5-6 months the chase to get high an all my bad routines were no longer present in my mind. I had basically no withdrawals at all regardless of wut others say. I the made 20mgs my steady does for a few mo the till I was ready again. I then reduced my doe 1mg every othe day till 0mgs. I completed the entire program. Minor, minor withdrawals wen I stopes. I just kept busy workin 40hrs a week and walking the golf course and golf g on my days off. All while maintaing a normal life with loved ones having no idea. My councilor at the clinic was great though. But I did feel very lethargic and had no ambitioun for several months. But not physical withdrawals. But I just didn't feel normal and my legs hurt for a few months (RLS). I'd say though about 1 month 60% completely normal 3 months 85% normal and after six months to the day I woke up and felt great, never having another symptom of W/D or PAWS again.
I was 100% clean for 2.5 years and felt great everyday. Unfortunately about 1.5 years ago I relapsed on OC while maintaing a steady jod and my own home. I just finished methadone agai. Anly in half the time as the last. Fee detoxing from 20mgs-0 in 15 days after using thru the intire two months I was there until my fee detox started. I am now 4 days clean and feel OK, ya just OK. I want that care free life and my best times back. I am tired and lazy working 12 hour shifts now. But I got to do it cuz I kno how good I used to feel. It did take a whe to get to 100% again the first time but what's 6 short months of feeling 80% compared to a life time of lies and self regret. If u are reading this. Start ur detox now not tomarrow. Think about it it u would have quit last time u wanted to u would be done with the never BS by now. Just a thought and my own experience. Pleas reply with questions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First congrats on another successful taper/detox I hope this time is forever and wish you the best of luck.

I was just wondering when you had 2.5 years clean till your most current relapse where you in any type of outpatient treatment, as in groups, 1 on 1 and so on? If not you should really try to do some of this stuff this time around because it could be what helps you beat this addiction all together. If you have and were doing this stuff what do you think went wrong, maybe got to comfortable?

But this is such a great saying you said “start your detox now not tomorrow” aint that the truth. You see it all to much with some people always say ill start tomm. or the next day but they say this for years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:22 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the response. I was in no type of treatment after detoxing from the methadone clinic. I must say that the treatment and therapy I recieved from the clinic was great. But it was ultimately my choice to get off. I get mad at all those people bashing suboxone and methadone because of things they think or they heard. Of course they can be abused just as any other drug but for those who truly want to get clean it is a god send. A proper taper program is a must to minimize intense withdrawls. Don't jump off 20mg of methadone or 2mgs of sub and expect a walk in the park. Take ur time with the program and do it right. Besides preventing and really prolonging some kind of withdrawl these drugs break the most important cycle of drug abuse, "THE CHASE" of getting high. Yes I did relapse but we don't need any downers now do we? As I said in my last post I have tapered of the methadone for the second time and the last time. I am now 5 days off and feel alright. Sleep is hard, working is hard but I do it and I do it well. I exercise daily, eat like a pig, to help that uncontrolled burn in my stomach but it's all tolerable. Last time it took six months for my brain to heal. Sorry about my rambling but I hate those hater posts about methadone and suboxone. Ya they do prolong some much milder form of withdrawl but allow u to move forward with life while learning how to live sober. But please do get off of everything to all u stuck in the middle. Ur brain will heal. The human body is an amazing thing ALL will be well again.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Congratulations
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:37 pm 

Wow, that was a great post. Normally Sub is the main subject here so it is refreshing to read a success story off of Methadone. I don't know much about that drug as I've never met anyone who was taking it, but it sounds like the same thing one does to get off Suboxone.

Your taper was spot on and it was encouraging to read how long it took for you to feel good again.

Just curious, with Methadone do you have to go daily to receive your dose?

Congrats again and it sounds like you are goal oriented and will succeed once more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rule with a methadone clinic you have to go everyday till you get take homes. If you have pain issues you can see a pain management DR and get monthly scripts.

That is great Calix really your story I think will really help so many people realize methadone isn’t this terrible drug that so many people think it is. And if used properly can save ones life key word properly, and as well people will, see that the taper on methadone is really no different than suboxone. It amazes me how many people think these two drug are so different when really they are so alike. As of the haters f%*# them and don’t waste your time reading there post or what they have to say. I have came the conclusion people who hate on ones recovery are usually doing much worst than you and cant stand to see someone get off all this shit.

Either way it would be great if you keep us updated on your progress man and again great job!

Post subject: Re: Coming off methadone
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

CalixBaby925 wrote:
I want that care free life and my best times back.

I hear ya Calix. I had some fantastic years while not dependent on opiates as well, and definitely want to get back there.

Methadone can get a bad rap at times among those on Suboxone. I've been on both and honestly I feel Suboxone is just different, not better. What I miss about methadone? It was really straight forward. With methadone, there's a feeling that you know what you're gunna get, and you know what's in store. Methadone detox was for me hard, but at least I knew what was in store.

Suboxone is more unpredictable. When you think the detox is going to be really hard, it surprises you with how easy it is. When you think it's going to be easy, it floors ya with how hard it can get, ya know? I've also had more issues with Suboxone reacting with other medications, and with metabolism issues.

Most people I know who've had relatively successful methadone tapers have dropped on average 1mg a ..week.. Maybe a bit faster until 30mg, but that was about the pace. At that pace it takes approx 2 years to taper off 100ml. (I get my ml / mg confused these days). I also know just as many people who've successfully tapered off methadone as they have Suboxone. Just go to an NA meeting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

What's up everyone. I havnt posted in a day or so to tell my progress cuz I've been off work. So I'm back working today and thought I'd give an update. Lol. Today is like day 7 or 8? IDK. But I feel real good. I've been taking benzo's (Xanax) to sleep but nothing during the day but vitamins. I take my pregnant girlfriends prenatal vitamins lol. They seem to have everything I need in um but I seem to b producing milk now. JK LOL. Besides that I take 2000mg L-tyrosine (1000mg pills) and some IB profin in the morning. Not sure if u herd of the Thomas recepy but that's pretty much minus the immodium AD which I wish I had. But the stomach hasn't been to bad at all really. The days r easy for me to handle, I just make sure it's filled with activities, mountain biking, gym, household chores, and running earands. Nights arnt bad either since I take a quarter bar of Xanax and pass the f*** out. Although Saturday night I had no Xanax and it was a tough night. I took benedryl to make me sleep but it only made me feel drunk. Eventually fell asleep at like 4:30am and slept till 10:00. And for some reason restless legs were terrible that night in my legs and arms. I think my body now tho (Monday) is starting to level out again. For me withdrawls were mild and treatable with vitamins and benzos to sleep. I'm not going to take anymore benzos tho cuz I don't want to rely on them to sleep. I'm usually a heavy sleeper so I don't think I'll have a problem. So that's that. Still don't feel 100% comfortable and pretty lazy still but I can sit still with out looking like a sober tweaker. Lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am glad you are doing so well! Benadryl can cause that RLS feeling in some people so that may be why it was so bad that night. I would never take it during detox, I get that side effect from it without detoxing so I can only imagine what it would do if I was already battling RLS. Of course its possible that it was just a coincidence but thought I'd throw that out there. Keep fighting the good fight!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ya ur probly right breezyann. I won't take it anymore for sure and now that u mentioned that I think I read that someplace as well. I'll try punching myself in the temple tonight if I can't sleep. JK LOL. No work tomorrow so I'll do a little experiment and try and fall asleep the all natural way. By the way I've never posted on these forums before this but I'll tell u it's addicting and actually helps me alot. There r not many people I will share my true story with u kno? Kinda like my little shameful secret. Maybe it's better that way cuz I have to act like Im happy and feel fine all the time rather than bitching about how lazy i am. At least now my mind feels normal. Not so tweakish. Very happy with how well this is going for me. And wish everyone the same. Just keep busy. It's hard but get a hobby (as I post online all day. Lol hippocit). Really tho something u enjoy. Golfing everyday i had off help alot the first time and mountainbiking like 20 miles every other day now has helped tremendously. I'm bored of golf now. Tiger woods! Over and out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:03 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Calix glad you are still doing well and staying strong though out this very hard task. But I am sure each day is getting a little better and staying busy def is real big during times like this and I tip my hat to you being able to stay busy feeling that way I know I had trouble doing that. But yea a opiate care free life style sounds real nice, maybe one day just maybe I can get my operations and not lose my clean time and recovery. And I know you knows this so I won’t harp on it but please be careful with those Benzos, I know you are taking small amounts but they can be so addictive in a time like this and the mind state. Over all you sound like you are doing really great and hey hoped you enjoyed your day off!

That is funny you said that TearJerker I fell the same way about methadone in that instance. As in you always know what you are getting with methadone and how it will make you fell. But with suboxone you never know, when i would take new suboxone like right when I picked up my script it would make me fell so different than how taking older suboxone would.